Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Comcast Adds: 261,000 Net Adds

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rgest-gain-yet

Comcast added 261,000 wireless subscribers in the fourth quarter, its largest gain yet in a single quarter, and putting it past the 2 million subscriber mark in total wireless customers.

In the fourth quarter, Comcast’s wireless net additions increased 15% year-over-year and reversed three consecutive quarters of year-over-year declines, noted LightShed analysts Walter Piecyk and Joe Galone. That was handily above their estimate of 225,000.

Comcast’s gains immediately trigger speculation about where they’re coming from. LightShed analysts believe that 45% of Comcast’s net additions are coming from Verizon and 25% from AT&T, based on testimony they heard during the Sprint/T-Mobile trial.

Asked about its interest in acquiring spectrum—the 3.5 GHz CBRS and C-band auctions have attracted cable’s attention—Comcast didn’t show its cards, with management saying during a conference call with analysts that it will always be opportunistic about doing more with Wi-Fi and LTE and managing traffic between the two. But they emphasized they like the capital-light approach they’re taking.

Analysts have been questioning whether AT&T might offer a better MVNO deal for the cable companies, as it has signaled it’s open to talks with them. Comcast also didn’t address that directly but suggested it’s still early days for its wireless business.

Analysts at MoffettNathanson said they've long believed that Comcast’s current MVNO agreement with Verizon doesn’t leave room for the business to ever be profitable on its own.

“But it may not have to be. Reports that AT&T, and perhaps even T-Mobile, might be willing to offer a better deal suggest that Comcast’s steady wireless growth may have given it precisely the kind of strategic leverage that will now enable a much clearer path to profitability,” wrote analyst Craig Moffett in a report for investors.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Cable cos (xfinity, altice, spectrum) should not be in the wireless industry.

It's bad enough folks like me have to suffer with cable broadband I can only imagine how bad the phone service might be .

We have 3 major wireless companies : big red , blue globe and magenta(+yellow) . That's plenty for consumers to choose from .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    LTE its the network !

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post

It's bad enough folks like me have to suffer with cable broadband I can only imagine how bad the phone service might be .

We have 3 major wireless companies : big red , blue globe and magenta(+yellow) . That's plenty for consumers to choose from .

From personal experience with Spectrum Mobile, it uses the same towers as Verizon. They don't charge a per-line access fee, so you could potentially have 4 lines with unlimited talk/text if you can collectively use under 1GB of shared data. Phones and service are tacked on to the cable bill, so there's that convenience factor. Probably not a good deal for everyone, but it's not as horrible as you think in certain situations.

Feedback Score
    What's the connection between VZW and Comcast? Does Verizon own Comcast?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    What's the connection between VZW and Comcast? Does Verizon own Comcast?
    Verizon does not own Comcast. Comcast has a deal with Verizon to operate as a MVNO of Verizon.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Speed tanking already due to the extra load on towers in nyc. We don't need spectrum and other mvno piggybacking on them.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Just what Verizon needs more POP's on their MVNO's sucking up already constrained bandwidth

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Didn't Comcast become a Verizon MVNO from the deal VZ made with them so they could use Comcasts AWS-1 spectrum in a number of markets which gave VZ near nationwide coverage??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post

You do realize there are MVNOs not carriers. Comcast and Charter use Verizon network. Verizon bought the AWS( band 4 )spectrum these cable companies owned 8 years ago and it was part of the deal these companies can use Verizon' network for a MVNO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Just what Verizon needs more POP's on their MVNO's sucking up already constrained bandwidth
    If most of these customers are coming from either Verizon or other Verizon based MVNOs then it's a push.