Thread: Port back in didn't work -- now what?

Feedback Score

Port back in didn't work -- now what?

So here's the sequence of events:

1) Ported my number out to a T-mobile account, decided I didn't like what I got
    2) Initiated a port back to AT&T with my original number, doing it online so I could get the $300 plan.
    3) At signup, AT&T had me enter my phone number, account number (t-mobile), and PIN.
    4) The site indicated the number could be ported, so I entered my credit card info, etc.
    5) AT&T sent the new SIM card to me by overnight FedEx.
    6) Today I inserted the card, then went to the AT&T prepaid site to activate it and ended up on a page where I entered my SIM ID, IMEI, and zip code.
    7) I was recognized and got a page showing my ported-in number and saying that my SIM card was active and required no further activation.
    8) When I took the link to "Manage Account", I was unable to log in using my number since a message appears at the top about the account being "disconnected" and to contact customer service. I assume this is because I used this number previously and the account was terminated when I ported out.

At this point, the phone is totally dead call-wise and I'm not sure exactly where to call. Unfortunately, my house is in a rather weak signal area so I'm not sure if the almost total lack of bars is just due to the signal or if something else is preventing things from working.

My inclination is to go out to a stronger signal area and call cust service using my wife's phone to get it straightened out. Any other ideas?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    ...My inclination is to go out to a stronger signal area and call cust service using my wife's phone to get it straightened out. Any other ideas?
    I'd go with that. I've found ATT CSR to be helpful.

My attitude with CSRs all different business is: be nice, tell them I need their help (not inferring but directly), let them know it's the company not them personally. Then I get the best results.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Actually, once I found the number to call in the enclosed "instructions", I immediately got through to someone who knew exactly what to do and did the entire porting and initialization within a few minutes. The annoyance is that the web site made it seem like it was all an automatic process, but I ended up repeating all the port-in that I'd previously entered online.

Anyway I'm good for a year now (or at least AT&T's 360-day year!).

Feedback Score
    Would you post that number please to help others. Glad you're sorted.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note LTE
    Feedback Score
    What's the best plan to port to Tmobile? It seems they are are monthly plan now even prepaid. Is there some daily plan or pay as you go plan available? Also how long does it need to be in tmobile until porting back?Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The number is 800-331-0500. Appears to be a group set up to do activations and ports. The rep knew exactly what was going on and took me right through the process, including processing my credit card for the service. The $300 plan cost me $333 with tax & 911 charge, but next year before my renewal date I'll use callingmart to put the $300 in and save the extra charges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    The number is 800-331-0500. Appears to be a group set up to do activations and ports. The rep knew exactly what was going on and took me right through the process, including processing my credit card for the service. The $300 plan cost me $333 with tax & 911 charge, but next year before my renewal date I'll use callingmart to put the $300 in and save the extra charges.
    Do we know for a fact that they let you renew a year later with the same $300/year price? For some unknown reason I was under impression this is a promotional offer and after one year you will be back to regular monthly price.

Feedback Score
    Also: are you now able to login to AT&T website and manage your account online again?
    Last edited by JoeSchmoe007; 01-26-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    In this thread: https://forums.att.com/conversations...d5f2f606f419c3 someone posted that after 1 year you go back to regular $50/month ($40 with autopay) price. If this is the case it is not worth the hassle IMO.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    In this thread: https://forums.att.com/conversations...d5f2f606f419c3 someone posted that after 1 year you go back to regular $50/month ($40 with autopay) price. If this is the case it is not worth the hassle IMO.
    Approximately $150 in savings, with the caveat that if your needs changed you don't have the flexibility to go up or down in data, or switch to another carrier if you move without losing the rest of the year.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave