Thread: Ebay IPhone Warning

Feedback Score

Ebay IPhone Warning

Figure most already know but it certainly tripped me up today. Bought a 3 month old Iphone XS Max off Ebay from a reputable (seemingly) seller (vipoutlet). Well turns out the phone is locked due to nonpayment by Verizon. Not only that but since i put my Verizon Prepaid sim in there they said it locks that sim as well and i have to get a brand new sim to activate my existing line of service.

Not only do i have to hassle with sending phone back but the sim is locked to and wont work in my original phone. Great...............................

So much for trying to save a few bucks.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    fleBay = epic suck.

Make sure you photograph/video every step of your return.

Feedback Score
    Thats good advice, will do. I talked to Prepay and Postpaid Verizon chat representatives. They wont even give the payoff amount to get it unbricked since im not the original owner.

Figured if payoff was cheap enough (it wouldnt be) i could just ask for that money back from seller but its not even an option so back it goes.

Feedback Score
    I'm sorry to hear that I have bought stuff from that seller with no issues. Hope you can get your money back and get ypur phone up and running. Take pics for sure I had issues returning stuff on eBay before.

Sent from my LGUS997 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    It's not an eBay problem. It happens across all selling platforms. Even buying it in person locally off Craigslist, OfferUp, etc. You need to always get the iPhone's IMEI number to check it's status across different carriers.

Feedback Score
    Fun continues, i got a new sim card and contacted them again. Now they are saying that my account is locked and they will have to open a ticket to get it reinstated. Seems pretty overbearing. I have 4 lines on my account, at least they only bombed the one that i tried the locked phone in.

Im not sure how to check an IMEI to see if its still on device payments. The post paid guys said they couldnt find explicit details only by using the IMEI. It popped up as locked due to non payment but they couldnt even say with 100% certainty it was Verizon. I find it all highly confusing.If a phones not reported stolen, why not just ding the original sellers credit and move on??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorOfSexyTown View Post
    Fun continues, i got a new sim card and contacted them again. Now they are saying that my account is locked and they will have to open a ticket to get it reinstated. Seems pretty overbearing. I have 4 lines on my account, at least they only bombed the one that i tried the locked phone in. Im not sure how to check an IMEI to see if its still on device payments. The post paid guys said they couldnt find explicit details only by using the IMEI. It popped up as locked due to non payment but they couldnt even say with 100% certainty it was Verizon. I find it all highly confusing.If a phones not reported stolen, why not just ding the original sellers credit and move on??
    try swappa - https://swappa.com/esn

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Thats a good link. Anyway to tell if a device is financed or not? For instance lets say that phone i purchased wasnt locked from day 1 but rather went into non payment lock status in 2 months. Anyway to check if a phone is free and clear of any device payments???

Feedback Score
    Vipoutlet is reputable and imho you won't have any issues returning it.
    Sorry you had this trouble

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorOfSexyTown View Post
    Thats a good link. Anyway to tell if a device is financed or not? For instance lets say that phone i purchased wasnt locked from day 1 but rather went into non payment lock status in 2 months. Anyway to check if a phone is free and clear of any device payments???
    FYI, I once bought a new iPhone on swappa that turned out to be leased through Sprint. That check showed nothing, all clean. Calling Sprint was a revelation. Got money back from the credit card, no problem.