Thread: Red Pocket taking its own sweet time on FreedomPop

Feedback Score

Red Pocket taking its own sweet time on FreedomPop

It's been over 6 months since Red Pocket announced they were taking over the GSM part of FreedomPop, and still nothing has happened. I am hoping for native voice/SMS - I currently have the free plan but would be willing to pay a small upcharge for non-VOIP service. The most recent post on their website was Jan 8: https://support.freedompop.com/hc/en...what-to-expect

Nice to see they will still offer free plans, but wonder if any gotchas coming...?

Feedback Score
    They're hoping everyone forgets.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    They're hoping everyone forgets.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty happy with FreedomPop and Red Pocket.

I got a LOT of free FP data, up to 1,200MB/mo/SIM at one time, both domestic and international, starting in 2016, until things had to change in order for FP to survive.

I now have access to an excellent source of VERY cheap AT&T LTE data via the prepaid FP 1GB/mo and/or 5GB/mo LTE + UT&T (VoIP) plans.

As most of you know, I have used my GV #s + Hangouts over data only since March, 2017, and FP has been a large part of that, for free for much of the time, and with the FP prepaid plans more recently in a FP Unite hotspot to supplement my T-Mobile $10/mo data only T-Mobile prepaid SIM. So, while I prefer to use GV + Hangouts for my calls and messaging instead of the UT&T (VoIP) part of the FP prepaid plans, some people are using the FP UT&T (VoIP) on those FP prepaid plans without too many issues.

I also got over a year of free FP Sprint service with 200/500/500/mo that my daughter used when visiting the US with a free ZTE Prestige 2, and 1GB/mo (a dealer helped activate it with 1GB/mo vs the standard 500MB) on a Supernova 655 Hotspot, all for a $5 net investment using a cash back site! When FP sold their Sprint account to Ting, the FP Sprint service kept working for around another 2 months.

When Ting finally ended the no charge FP Sprint service for former FP Sprint lines, after a bad decision to port the ZTE Prestige 2 line to Tello's paygo plan, which changed shortly thereafter from no minimum required refill with minimal usage to a required $20/90 days required refill, I was able to then move the ZTE Prestige 2 line to a RP $30/360 days 200/1000/200 every 30 days plan, which I got for $27/360 days, or $2.25/30 days, after a 10% off coupon code. And not only that, due to a porting glitch, a RP CSR gave that line a 30 day plan for free before I had to add the eBay RP Sprint 360 day plan in January, 2020!

I ALSO still have 8 free account FP AT&T LTE SIMs with 250MB/mo each that I use in tablets and various phones for testing. While I'd rather I was still able to get 1200MB/mo/SIM FP AT&T LTE data, I'm grateful for the 250MB/mo/SIM that currently remains available on those FP free plan SIMs.

So, all in all, I've be extremely happy with FP and RP. But that's just my viewpoint.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure why people want redpocket to turn FreedomPop into......redpocket.

Right now we have two options, regular plans with talk/text/data on redpocket for cheap on ebay for a year.

We also have FreedomPop which gives us data only, to use with Google Voice etc. or in a hotspot.

Adding native voice to FreedomPop and increasing the price, is just taking one present option off the table and giving us less choice.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Agreed.

I'd be pretty upset if any negative changes happened to the current FP UT&T (VoIP) + 1GB/mo or 5GB/mo AT&T LTE annual prepaid offerings, especially when they are pretty regularly on sale for 20% to 30% off at Best Buy, Best Buy eBay, and Target!

I'd also be upset if my old free plans, currently with 200/500 (VoIP) + 250MB/mo (including 50MB/mo Freedom Friends) AT&T LTE were discontinued or changed in some negative way.

The only welcome change to the above would be if the change was to include native cellular voice and text.

But I don't see how that could be possible, because I'm actually shocked that what FP currently offers is even possible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

But I don't see how that could be possible, because I'm actually shocked that what FP currently offers is even possible.
    This is absolutely correct. FreedomPop as it's presently configured is a steal. 5gb month/12 months for just over $100 ( Black Friday deal at Best Buy) on AT&T is a crazy good deal.

Contrast that with the RedPocket eBay 5gb unlimited talk and text eBay black Friday deal for $195. Still a really good deal, but for us who don't use native talk and text, we would be paying an extra $90 for nothing.

I truly hope that RedPocket/FreedomPop don't change a thing, they are perfect as is.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Boz1, you might be interested to know that Tello has not begun enforcing that 90 day rule. I have two accounts that I haven't added money to in over 8 months and they still work fine.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, for data-only plans on an actual decent network they're still a total steal. The 1gb per month annual plans can be had for as low as $35 per year, and the 200mb (250mb w friends) free plan is still in the threshold of what many consider doable for light users who know how to limit their data use & rely on google voice/messaging apps for their primary communication. And from my experience, their customer service has gotten better as well. I only chatted with them once last month & they fixed it the same day. On a free plan.

I kinda like where they are now tbh. If I wanted a traditional voice, text, data plan I'd get one & there's tons to choose from, so why turn them into that? What there isn't a ton of is low cost low usage data-only plans. Everyone wants to upsell or nickel & dime you to death in that regard, or just doesn't allow it.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    Boz1, you might be interested to know that Tello has not begun enforcing that 90 day rule. I have two accounts that I haven't added money to in over 8 months and they still work fine.
    Yes, I've seen those reports.

I couldn't take the chance that Tello would suddenly decide to enforce their new TOS when my daughter crossed the border into the US and finding she has no service, and I'm not willing to spend $6.67/30 days for an average 50/50/110 usage.

When Tello decided to change their TOS so that paying $20/90 days was required to keep paygo active, instead of earning an average of around $3/mo of paygo usage, they lost the account completely to the RP Sprint 360 day plan that costs $2.25/30 days for the next 360 days.

I'm sure a $3/mo revenue loss isn't much to Tello, but if enough active paygo users leave because of the new TOS, they might feel it a little bit.

Feedback Score
    Agree that the existing plans work great for many people, and I personally have gotten a ton of use out of Fpop (although to be fair, along with hours spent on customer service issues also but hey, free) but would like the option (not mandatory) to get native voice/sms for an upcharge, similar to the "premium voice" they used to offer for Sprint. For me, VOIP doesn't work with Uber or Lyft and in some cases, didn't work with friends' numbers at all. I don't mean VOIP as in the FPop Messaging app, but Google Voice. I had one friend on an old T-mobile MVNO and I couldn't connect with his number at all; I just got continuous ringing. Maybe those issues no longer exist but left me unwilling to rely completely on VOIPs.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Red Pocket taking its own sweet time on FreedomPop

Quote Originally Posted by der_lizzard View Post
    Agree that the existing plans work great for many people, and I personally have gotten a ton of use out of Fpop (although to be fair, along with hours spent on customer service issues also but hey, free) but would like the option (not mandatory) to get native voice/sms for an upcharge, similar to the "premium voice" they used to offer for Sprint. For me, VOIP doesn't work with Uber or Lyft and in some cases, didn't work with friends' numbers at all. I don't mean VOIP as in the FPop Messaging app, but Google Voice. I had one friend on an old T-mobile MVNO and I couldn't connect with his number at all; I just got continuous ringing. Maybe those issues no longer exist but left me unwilling to rely completely on VOIPs.
    To extend on this point, I recall my free SIM would not be accepted as a number for Uber or Lyft, sometimes not accept incoming calls from GV, and calling some business numbers didn’t go through because of VoIP blocks.
    I haven’t used the Messaging app with my annual SIM as I use that SIM for backup data and have a second Verizon-based line for incoming calls.

There does need to be a native voice option, offered like the old FP-Sprint. The way the SIMs are described in some retail stores, it’s not implicitly stated that an app is required for calls or texts. Some would consider that deceptive advertising.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm...you're right about the way the plans are advertised. I never thought about that.

By the way, the UT&T (VoIP) + 1GB/mo LTE annual prepaid plan is on sale for $39.99 (20% off) at https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6187400 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/FreedomPop-...t/192530921373 currently.

Also, the UT&T (VoIP) + 5GB/mo LTE annual prepaid plan is on sale for $119.99 (20% off) at https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6296211 currently.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    There does need to be a native voice option, offered like the old FP-Sprint. The way the SIMs are described in some retail stores, it’s not implicitly stated that an app is required for calls or texts. Some would consider that deceptive advertising.
    Fair point, but the only remedy they'd need to offer is a refund for the SIM.

FreedomPop does explain that the service requires an Android or iOS smartphone (without explicitly saying an app is required, unfortunately) but many retailers (like Best Buy) are fuzzy on that point (I think Best Buy's site says it *works* on Android and iOS phones, but fails to specify it *requires* one.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    RedPocket is testing native voice https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpo...&postcount=196