Thread: Changed SIM, system will not update IMEI

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Changed SIM, system will not update IMEI

About a month ago, I switched from an iphone to a Pixel 3a on an AT&T prepaid plan and did a SIM swap at the same time.
    I used AT&T's online prepaid site to make the change, going to the "update device" page to do so.

When I put the Pixel's IMEI number in and then the SIM card number, I get an error message stating that there are system errors. So, I tried leaving the IMEI number field blank and just put in the new SIM card number. This time it went through and everything has been working fine ever since. I have tried a few more times since then to put in the Pixel 3a's IMEI but I still get an error message, every time.

Does this matter? Might it cause problems for someone else trying to get my old iphone onto a network someplace? Or did that old IMEI just drop off at this point?

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Got my own answer:
    It doesn't matter. The carrier knows the IMEI when the phone registers with the network and the network just goes with that IMEI. Apparently it's not necessary to update the IMEI on the carrier's website.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    About a month ago, I switched from an iphone to a Pixel 3a on an AT&T prepaid plan and did a SIM swap at the same time.
    I used AT&T's online prepaid site to make the change, going to the "update device" page to do so.

When I put the Pixel's IMEI number in and then the SIM card number, I get an error message stating that there are system errors. So, I tried leaving the IMEI number field blank and just put in the new SIM card number. This time it went through and everything has been working fine ever since. I have tried a few more times since then to put in the Pixel 3a's IMEI but I still get an error message, every time.

Does this matter? Might it cause problems for someone else trying to get my old iphone onto a network someplace? Or did that old IMEI just drop off at this point?
    You didn't really need a new sim card when you bought a new phone. You can use your sim from phone to phone with no need up update online.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    You didn't really need a new sim card when you bought a new phone. You can use your sim from phone to phone with no need up update online.
    Technically you are correct, officially, it should be updated according to policy. Has been this way since At&t started using SIM cards prior to when TDMA/Analog was shut off on their network.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I didn't actually use a new physical SIM card. I had my number on an eSIM in an iphone and had to do the SIM swap to get it onto the new eSIM in my current Pixel 3a.
    Sorry I didn't actually mention that but I didn't think it would be necessary. Yes I know you can just move a physical SIM into a new phone and be done with it.