Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Questions RE: WiFi calling with BYOD

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The Verizon network extenders must be provisioned on an account in order to work. Once an extender is put onto an account it becomes useable. I am not saying it has anything to do specifically with my phone. The Verizon rep that I chatted with told me that nothing had to be done to any account in order for one to work. He was dead wrong on that.
    I have had network extenders in my house each time I have used Verizon as my main carrier. If it is not set with an account, it does nothing.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've used Verizon network extenders each time I have had Verizon as my main carrier. A Verizon network extender does need to be provisioned onto a Verizon account in order to work. I didn't mean to say that it needs to be provisioned with my particular phone, just that it needs to be on someone's account or it doesn't do anything. The Verizon rep who I spoke with this morning seemed to think otherwise.

Sorry for the (sort of) double post. When I came back to review what I had written, I didn't see the first one still here so I rewrote it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I wasn't thinking about the wired home network extender. I was thinking about an external antenna that is bought, installed and maintained by the consumer.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I wasn't thinking about the wired home network extender. I was thinking about an external antenna that is bought, installed and maintained by the consumer.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Oh!

I have considered one of those but Verizon coverage here isn't really good enough for even that .

For what it's worth, I have come to the conclusion that although I would like Verizon as my main carrier it's just not going to happen. It does give me better coverage away from my house, and it's call quality is very good, but it also does cost more (I am on a $50/month unlimited AT&T plan and Verizon would cost me $70. For what it's worth, AT&T isn't bad.

I am a photographer and I very often travel into rural areas to do my work. I keep AT&T as my main number because I get great coverage at my house, and a US Mobile (Verizon MVNO) SIM as a backup in case I am in a non AT&T area. I find that in my travels, far more often Verizon will have coverage even when AT&T does not.

I just thought that if I could have WiFi calling at my home, I could do away with one of the stumbling blocks (and have ONLY Verizon) but it seems that no one can really tell me if it's going to work. I just don't have the desire to try it out with a trial account to find out. Further, I keep running into absolutely horrid customer service from Verizon reps who are all too willing to say anything just to get you to sign up...this is not the first time I have run into bad info from them.

A network extender is a decent compromise, but it's not perfect either. I've used them and even they leave some blind spots in and around my home.

So I guess I stay with what I've got.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Oh! I have considered one of those but Verizon coverage here isn't really good enough for even that . For what it's worth, I have come to the conclusion that although I would like Verizon as my main carrier it's just not going to happen. It does give me better coverage away from my house, and it's call quality is very good, but it also does cost more (I am on a $50/month unlimited AT&T plan and Verizon would cost me $70. For what it's worth, AT&T isn't bad. I am a photographer and I very often travel into rural areas to do my work. I keep AT&T as my main number because I get great coverage at my house, and a US Mobile (Verizon MVNO) SIM as a backup in case I am in a non AT&T area. I find that in my travels, far more often Verizon will have coverage even when AT&T does not. I just thought that if I could have WiFi calling at my home, I could do away with one of the stumbling blocks (and have ONLY Verizon) but it seems that no one can really tell me if it's going to work. I just don't have the desire to try it out with a trial account to find out. Further, I keep running into absolutely horrid customer service from Verizon reps who are all too willing to say anything just to get you to sign up...this is not the first time I have run into bad info from them. A network extender is a decent compromise, but it's not perfect either. I've used them and even they leave some blind spots in and around my home. So I guess I stay with what I've got.
    the network extender will not work with a prepaid plan - https://community.verizonwireless.co...d/td-p/1002414

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    the network extender will not work with a prepaid plan - https://community.verizonwireless.co...d/td-p/1002414
    Yes! I know!

This is why the rep who told me otherwise had no idea what he was talking about.
    I asked him that question to test him. To give me an idea of whether or not I should trust his responses to my questions about being able to use WiFi calling with an unbranded Verizon phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    So basically what I am asking is 4 quesrtions...
    1 - Do all 3 above mentioned carriers allow use of WiFi calling with BYOD?
    2 - Do all 3 allow WiFi calling on prepaid plans?
    3 - If AT&T does NOT allow the above, could the fact that I AM able to use it be attributed to that fact that I never changed the EID from my old iphone, updating it to the Pixel 3a?
    4 - Can there be problems for someone else trying to get my old iphone set up if AT&T still has its IMEI listed under my number?
    Hello californiajay,

Like you, I have been trying to crack the WiFi calling code. But I am finding it to be an extremely frustrating endeavor. As best as I have been able to figure out WiFi calling support varies with carrier, plan and phone.

Regarding carriers and unbranded/SIM unlocked Android phones, T-Mobile followed closely by Sprint seem to be the best. Verizon seems to be third and then AT&T a very distant fourth.

I have read over on reddit.com that some AT&T prepaid plans support Wifi calling while others do not. This is independent of the phone selected.

I think the best course of action for you is to sign up on Verizon prepaid with a new number under a BYOD plan that you want and just test out your phone. I understand that you will be sinking one month's worth of service, but you will have the answer you seek.

After you're done testing whether WiFi calling works, you can just let the number lapse and port over your permament number as a new line of service.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Frankly doing this might tell me if WiFi calling works with my device on a prepaid account, but it will not tell me what happens with a postpaid account which is what I am after. Doing this on a postpaid account would cost more than I care to spend just to try it out.
    From everything I have read so far, it seems that whether or not any of this works depends not only on a carrier, but also the phone one is using, the plan one is on and the area of the country one is in. It's really no wonder that the reps themselves really can't answer the question.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 4 XL, Google Pixel 3 XL, iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There are issues with unlocked Pixels and AT&T wifi calling, yes. The original Pixel and Pixel XL don't work with it, and neither do the 2 and 2 XL. However, the 3, 3 XL, 3a, and 3a XL have been fully supported for a while now. Additionally, the unlocked 4 and 4 XL, as of just a few days ago, are now fully supported without any IMEI spoofing or workarounds.

AT&T is painfully inept and slow when it comes to sorting these things out with unlocked Android devices and wifi calling, and are without a doubt the worst carrier at supporting these features for unlocked phones. However, I guarantee your 3a will work with AT&T wifi calling. It also makes no difference whether the plan is prepaid or postpaid. The only exception would be the $75 prepaid plan (currently $55 with auto-pay) where there is an entirely separate and unrelated issue where wifi calling can be enabled on the device and appears to function normally, including even texting, but calling over wifi results in hearing an error message.
    Google Pixel 4 XL | Black 128GB | AT&T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2