Thread: OOma Phone genie?

Feedback Score

OOma Phone genie?

What exactly is this? Is it a link so that my cell calls can also be thru a home phone type device?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hsmama View Post
    What exactly is this? Is it a link so that my cell calls can also be thru a home phone type device?
    I am curious to. I have an Ooma Telo home phone . They are real cheap to have my cost is about $5 dollars a month.This is new to me what you brought up , maybe someone knows about it and can share.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hsmama View Post
    I had not heard of Ooma Genie. It appears that it started about December 2019.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32...ess-home-phone

Basically, it is a traditional Ooma Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) with an additional 4G LTE module to provide the Internet data (rather than cable Internet, etc.).

As an ATA you can plug in a conventional analog telephone to use it.

The Ooma app can be used on a smartphone for VOIP calls with some source of Internet data using your Ooma service plan and number - cell data, cable Internet, or from the LTE module. In this case it does not go through the ATA base and can be used anywhere you have free or paid Internet data. This is not specific to the Genie. The Ooma app works the same with other Ooma service plans.

The 4G LTE module uses the Sprint network.

The Genie basic service plan costs $12 a month plus taxes and fees and includes unlimited* domestic talk minutes and 500 MB of data. Details are sketchy, but it appears that the 4G LTE module works as a wireless hotspot. Additional data is available at $9/GB. It is not clear if the data stops at 500 MB or they automatically charge you for going over. Data for talk use is not deducted from the 500 MB of included data.

500 MB could be useful for light email and web browsing.

*Unlimited, but reasonable use is considered to be 5000 minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Packerjim View Post
    I am curious to. I have an Ooma Telo home phone . They are real cheap to have my cost is about $5 dollars a month.This is new to me what you brought up , maybe someone knows about it and can share.
    The Ooma Phone Genie is an LTE device, while the Ooma Telo is a VoIP device. There was some discussion of the Phone Genie last year on Straight Talk forums to replace the CDMA ST home phone which had not been available for a while. There are now new LTE models of the ST home phone device, so have not heard of the Ooma devices being discussed recently. The Ooma Phone Genie was being sold through Walmart. It runs on Sprint. The ST home phone runs on Verizon.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Good info. Thank you bobdevnul and loboheeler.