Thread: How soon to port back in?

Feedback Score

How soon to port back in?

After porting my phone number out of AT&T Prepaid, how soon should I be able to port it back in? I'm not really all that happy with what I switched to and can learn to live with AT&T's shortcomings. I've read something about "90 days", but maybe that just applies to post-paid plans?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    After porting my phone number out of AT&T Prepaid, how soon should I be able to port it back in? I'm not really all that happy with what I switched to and can learn to live with AT&T's shortcomings. I've read something about "90 days", but maybe that just applies to post-paid plans?
    I don't think there is any limit, but the 90 days you hear might be for treatment as a "new" customer, meaning eligibility for promos.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Maybe, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    As soon as you port out you can port back. I've seen on reddit some have done it in less than an hr. I've done it myself but it was a week.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:

Feedback Score
    I ported out and back in within a half hour to get the $40.00 25gb Walmart plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Postpaid has the win-back period and also tends to keep people from the "free" phone promos. In the case of prepaid, you can port out and back within the day (I did it over two days with T-Mobile in between to get a promotional plan).

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note LTE
    Feedback Score
    What's the best plan to port to Tmobile? It seems they are are monthly plan now even prepaid. Is there some daily plan or pay as you go plan available? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ipoddave View Post
    What's the best plan to port to Tmobile? It seems they are are monthly plan now even prepaid. Is there some daily plan or pay as you go plan available? Thanks.
    Up until this summer, T-Mobile offered some cheaper plans ($3/month for 30 minutes or texts, no data, 10˘/minute or text after that) that were well-liked for this purpose. Unfortunately, they dumped those on Ultra Mobile to manage and sell and the cheapest looks like it's the $40/10GB plan.

I went with that one, even though it wasn't the cheapest method, just because of the ease of set up and getting the account number to port out, not to mention it gave me a bit of time to try out T-Mobile's network again (I ported to T-Mobile the same day I set up a phone with the "Walmart plan" so I had to wait for the bonus data to show up anyway). I figure spending $40 to use it for a week or two wasn't the worst thing...

Feedback Score
    I ported to T-mobile intending to stay with them for a while, but discovered some drawbacks, a couple of which I could have found with a bit more "due diligence" on my part. First off, as I had suspected, I happen to be in a bit of a dead zone for their signal. It's not that great with AT&T either, but with TM I often had zero in my house -- especially in the winter weather we've been having. If you look at their coverage map on the tablets they use in the store, it looks like the area is covered. But on a PC where it lets you really zoom in, there's my house in a small poor coverage zone.

Another issue was lack of Canadian coverage, which since we live close is a consideration. But the killer was when I looked at the coverage in Alaska where we're taking a driving trip this summer: no native coverage and limited roaming on some of our route whereas AT&T appears to have us covered pretty well.

And of course the payoff in returning to AT&T is the $300 plan that gives me about 3x the data I'm likely to ever use for $25/month!

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note LTE
    Feedback Score
    Thank you rochrunner andecs0013 for your prompt advice.

I have multiple lines under my number on att prepaid. Is the account # different for each line or will it just be my main account #? Also, do I need to unlink the account before porting out to tmobile?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ipoddave View Post
    Thank you rochrunner andecs0013 for your prompt advice.

I have multiple lines under my number on att prepaid. Is the account # different for each line or will it just be my main account #? Also, do I need to unlink the account before porting out to tmobile?
    I think each one has its own account number/PIN (they retain it from when each line is first created, also why it's a bit "safer" than Cricket groups that all go on the same account/PIN). You shouldn't have to unlink the account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I ported out and back in within a half hour to get the $40.00 25gb Walmart plan.
    Who did you port to for a half hour?

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
    Who did you port to for a half hour?

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
    It’s gotta be a non-ATT affiliated carrier. I ported to TMobile.