Thread: Band 66

Feedback Score

Band 66

My 6s does not have B-66, how exactly does that effect my N-10 VZ service?

Feedback Score
    B66 is a superset of B4, and is completely compatible. It is the predominate Verizon LTE band used in my area. Not as good as B13 in my experience. You can't tell much about the signal on an iPhone, as Apple locks that out. Lots of signal apps for Android.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 01-18-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Feedback Score
    Outstanding explanation thank you

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, B66 (as well as B4) is a paired frequency setup of 1700/2100 MHz; much higher frequency than B13 (700 MHz), the latter of which was considered a breakthrough for rural areas as the lower frequencies travel farther for a given amount of transmitter power, requiring fewer cell sites to cover a given land area.

This is a major reason why T-Mobile trumpeted their change a few years ago, as their service was originally B2 (1900 MHz) & B4 (1700/2100 MHz). They were using these higher frequency bands along with a not thoroughly built-out network, and so many users complained they couldn't get service inside buildings. Then as they moved into LTE service they rearranged things and incorporated B12 (700 MHz) and now B71 (600 Mhz), all of this depending on if you've got the right device and are in an area served with that spectrum of theirs.

But companies with the diversity of available spectrum like Verizon Wireless (different bands in different locations) are involved in trying to balance which areas they serve with what bands based on likely user demand, now and in years ahead. Very tricky. And you can bet they spend beaucoup dollars analyzing that whole topic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Yeah, B66 (as well as B4) is a paired frequency setup of 1700/2100 MHz; much higher frequency than B13 (700 MHz), the latter of which was considered a breakthrough for rural areas as the lower frequencies travel farther for a given amount of transmitter power, requiring fewer cell sites to cover a given land area.
    I live in a very hilly and forested area, so Verizon B13 works better than B4/66. So does Band 5 (850MHz), but only see it infrequently off another tower. The signal has really gone down since they mostly switched to B66.

T-Mo mostly uses B4 (1700MHz/2100MHz) here, and their coverage is pretty bad just outside of town.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Makes you wonder why they would set it up that way for your location.

My impression was that their use of B4/66 would be for overflow in metro areas to relieve congestion, where they've got dense coverage and don't need the lower freq's capabilities.

But maybe in your area what they have available with other bands was either limited by what they own, or if it's well populated it's already at capacity so you get B4/66.

Feedback Score
    But maybe in your area what they have available with other bands was either limited by what they own, or if it's well populated it's already at capacity so you get B4/66.
    Much of the problem was not Verizon, but the rabid "tree huggers" in local government that fought for years to block having enough tower capacity. There was a big hole in coverage around the biggest shopping area of town, and they finally approved an ugly 80' tree camouflaged tower that is barely adequate. Short towers don't work well with hills and trees!

Another factor is there has been a population rise putting more load on the networks. I have read that while B13 is a good signal, it overloads easily. This would be compounded by more call use with VoLTE in the last few years. I doubt many are using CDMA calling anymore.

Feedback Score
    I'm in the Chicago area and have not benefited from low bands on T-Mobile. They must still be refarming the uhf tv stations. So, that's a big issue for T-mobile using their new low band freqs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingc View Post
    I'm in the Chicago area and have not benefited from low bands on T-Mobile. They must still be refarming the uhf tv stations. So, that's a big issue for T-mobile using their new low band freqs.
    Many phones don't have T-Mo B71 (600MHz). Does yours?

Feedback Score

Band 66

Yes it does. The iPhone 11pro.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingc View Post
    The iPhone 11pro.
    Do you know what frequency bands T-Mo is actually using there actually seen on your phone? Field Test Mode should show this. Easier on Android phones that do not have the dumb restrictions of Apple.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile LTE is also (depending on location) big on B12, which is 700 MHz, which is already a pretty "low" freq as far as performance capabilities go. That was their big breakthrough band.

I'm wondering how T-Mo will deploy B71 between "conventional" LTE and their new 5G. They are advertising now that at least part of their coming 5G service will be in this band and will cover "miles" instead of "blocks", referring to other carrier's proposed mmWave urban coverage.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Band 66

I'm wondering how T-Mo will deploy B71 between "conventional" LTE and their new 5G. They are advertising now that at least part of their coming 5G service will be in this band and will cover "miles" instead of "blocks", referring to other carrier's proposed mmWave urban coverage.
    Most places that had B71 LTE prior to December lost at least half their bandwidth to the 5G rollout.

I’ve been reading reports of some places, particularly areas that didn’t have LTE on B71 before December, only seeing 5G on that band upon rollout. I haven’t heard if this has changed since.

There’s areas of NW Oklahoma and portions of Kansas that have B71 LTE but no 5G yet. That’s probably because they don’t have licenses to do B4/66 in those areas and T-Mobile decided to pair its B12 or B2 with B71 for better service.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT