Thread: Who blacklisted my IMEI?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Feedback Score

Who blacklisted my IMEI?

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out who blacklisted my IMEI number so I can then get it cleared. So far all sites I tried that have IMEI checking don't tell me who made the request in the first place.

What's the best way of finding out? Is there any other way for me to do this? I tried contacting my former company to ask for their help, but they said there's nothing they can do since it's not their phone anymore.

Here's the whole story: I have an iPhone 7 that my work got from Verizon Wireless (US). When I left, I paid my company for the phone and used it on T-Mobile in the US. And then I left the country. I have used it in over a dozen countries, just swapping SIM cards, always on prepaid plans. Last May, in Brazil, I had trouble activating with one carrier (VIVO), but then just switched to another (Claro) and it all worked out ok. Last week I went to use it in Latin America again and got told my IMEI was blacklisted.

So now what? How do I fix this? This device only went from Verizon to my company, to me. How the hell did it get blacklisted? Please help!

Thanks
    Last edited by veriztd; 01-17-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You should contact Verizon, but more than likely they will request to speak with the original account holder (your prior employer if the account wasn't in your name). There is no online tool that will tell you why your phone was blacklisted for security reasons.

A few scenarios come to mind: there is a past due balance remaining at the account level, a device payment on your phone that was not paid in full or someone reported the phone as lost/stolen. Sorry to hear about your current situation. You could ask your current provider to see if the issue is at their end. Nobody here will be able to resolve this issue, you will have to make a few phone calls.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I talked to VZW but they told me they will only even talk about it with my former company's points of contact. Still trying to get them to help me out. Also tried calling T-Mobile US, which told me IT'S NOT BLACKLISTED! So...

Is it possible that it was blacklisted only in Brazil? If so, how can I find out?

Also, is there anything Apple can help me with? Would they have access to that information?

Thank you so much,
    Roberto

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It is possible that Apple may confirm it is blacklisted but refer you to the carrier for assistance to unlock it

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Feedback Score
    Had to pay for it, but finally found a service that told me it was the Brazilian carrier, VIVO, who has it blacklisted. Now those lovely people tell me the only way to get it fixed is to physically go to one of their stores. At the same time, my former company got in touch with Verizon, who says they "removed the device from our lost/stolen list and it's free to be used however you'd like".

So I guess we're all about to find out if one carrier can override another carrier's blacklisting of an IMEI number. Fun!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Feedback Score
    Leaving a note here if anyone ends up with the same problem. Here's how I finally got it fixed:

After many failed attempts at finding a phone number that could be called from abroad, I found out VIVO has customer service on Twitter. It is terrible, and it took just nagging them constantly over DM to get it done, but finally I got someone who decided to help me (this only happened yesterday, after 10 days trying) and 24 hours later the phone shows up as clear in all blacklists. NONE of the people I talked to were able to explain why the hell my device got to the blacklist in the first place. The whole process would have made Kafka proud.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Glad to hear you got the problem resolved. You will probably never know why it was blacklisted but that doesn't matter now. Sorry to hear about your experience.