Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Transferring old minutes etc to new Tracfone w/minutes

Feedback Score

Transferring old minutes etc to new Tracfone w/minutes

I've been using Tracfone for about 10 years, and have had about 8 phones, one after the other, using the same phone number. Just bought a new Moto e5 with 1 year service, 1500/1500/1500. My current phone has about 1 year service remaining, and about 13 gig of data, 13,000 texts, and 11,000 minutes. Don't use it all that much, though it is my main phone. The only issue I've had with TF so far comes when activating a new phone & making sure my previous minutes, etc get transferred to the new phone. Last time I did this, TF assistance said I may have to EAT my existing minutes. "NO F'ING WAY" was my response, and I was able to get the old time added to the new phone/time. I do have an online TF account which lists my current balances, and several old phone, back to 2012, but does not specifically list my current Samsung Luna Pro which I am replacing as my current phone. I'd like to activate the new phone AND have all my existing minutes transferred to it while keeping the new minutes, etc. What is the best/quickest/most straightforward way to accomplish this?

Thanks as always!

Feedback Score
    You could put the Luna sim in the E5. I think they're both nano. You'll have the same phone number and balance. Just don't activate the luna with a new sim. Throw it in a drawer. As far as anything account related, your E5 is your luna. You won't get the 1500/1500/1500 but you'll have your old balance. Or...you should be able to activate with transfer, the E5 with your same number and balance (not a new number) and get it all.
    Someone else will know the options.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick reply. I thought about that, but wasn't sure the OLD SIM in the new phone would also include the NEW full year of service & minutes. If I stick in the new SIM & there's an issue (like none of the new service being there) is that reversible just by removing the SIM?

Speaking of SIMS & microSD's, the Moto 5 has a little "hatch/tray" you release with a pin to insert SIM & SD. The back is not even removable, without a heat gun (it's glued on). PITA. Each new generation of these things seems to be about given the OWNER/USER less & less access & control over THEIR device.

Feedback Score
    You already know the drill. You activate the new phone SIM with a transfer from the old phone SIM. The new phone's built-in "minutes" will appear after you have done this. The minutes will not appear until the new SIM is activated either by starting out fresh with a new phone number, or activating with a transfer from a previous SIM (the SIM is the main holder of the account).

So technically, you could just stick the old SIM into the new phone, but you wouldn't get the built-in minutes that way.

The greatest problem is the amount of balances you have built up. Tracfone sometimes makes executive decisions on the spur of the moment and whittles down the balances when they get a whiff of them during a transfer.

I would do the transfer through Corporate this time and make sure you get what you are entitled to.

Feedback Score
    It's not a big deal to use the SIM tray. You don't have to remove the back or the battery in order to change the SIM. You won't accidentally damage the back.

You might wonder about the sticker with the IMEI on it that is usually stuck in the battery compartment. The SIM tray usually has a little sticker on it with the info in case the phone dies and you need to know the number. The cheap phones or refurbs may not have this, but an average phone should.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCalling View Post
    My current phone has about 1 year service remaining, and about 13 gig of data, 13,000 texts, and 11,000 minutes.
    Yep, your balances are too high for safety. There is a history of TF seeing this as fraud, and hard to prove otherwise. It's hard to get such high balances without spending a lot of money. Not the norm for most TF users, thus the scrutiny.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The SIM tray usually has a little sticker on it with the info in case the phone dies and you need to know the number. The cheap phones or refurbs may not have this, but an average phone should.
    Yes, even the TF models have the IMEI on the removable SIM tray. On my TCL LX it is very small and lightly painted, which requires a good magnifying lens to read. The IMEI is always in the phone somewhere in Settings....About phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    You might wonder about the sticker with the IMEI on it that is usually stuck in the battery compartment.
    I'm familiar with that sticker which used to be under the batt & the info it contains. It is on the back of this one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yep, your balances are too high for safety. There is a history of TF seeing this as fraud, and hard to prove otherwise. It's hard to get such high balances without spending a lot of money. Not the norm for most TF users, thus the scrutiny.
    Yeah I'm pretty "abnormal" in a variety of ways... ;-) Basically I'm an old man with few contacts & I simply don't use the phone that much. Also, when I do have to make a long call, I use one of my 2 GV numbers off the PC via Chrome. Free, ya know. Not sure what you mean by "too high for safety," WHOSE safety??? As far as them thinking the history is "fraud", why?? They should have a record of all the minutes bought & used on this number (again, same number since 2010 or so, only TF number I've ever had), so I see no problem, aside from TF just trying to steal my outstanding balance, which would not surprise me. When I 1st began using TF, I would buy my service time & minutes from Pinzoo https://www.pinzoo.com/wireless-refi...airtime-cards/ but after finding HSN, I find with my level of consumption, I can get a year's service, more minutes than I'd need for that year, AND A BRAND NEW PHONE for less than 100 bucks. Often as low as $60, like this Moto e5. Many people pay that much or more every month. Granted, they probably make way more cell calls than I do, but still.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Not sure what you mean by "too high for safety," WHOSE safety??? As far as them thinking the history is "fraud", why?? They should have a record of all the minutes bought & used on this number (again, same number since 2010 or so, only TF number I've ever had), so I see no problem, aside from TF just trying to steal my outstanding balance, which would not surprise me.
    The advice against carrying a high balance is for the safety of your balance. TF has a Fraud Prevention Dept that seems to operate on the principal of "Execute first, Pardon later". When they an account that exceeds a "threshold", they automatically assume that it was obtained fraudulently and take some of it away. The (unpublished) threshold used to be around 5000, now it seems to be around 10,000.

When TF take away some of your balance, you'll have to prove how you built up that high amount. TF will claim they have no records of your redemptions. Do you have records of when you redeemed your airtime? If so, how is it recorded? Your written notes don't hold water.

Quite a few of us, myself included, have had some units taken from us by TF. A few years ago, I lost around 1500 texts and 1500MB. I don't use text and data much, so I didn't bother fighting TF to get them back.

To protect myself, on the 1st of each month I do a balance check using the app, then take a screenshot. It shows my phone number, bucket balances, As of Date/Time. But if I have to fight TF for lost units, I'll still have to prove that I did not use them. So to avoid the hassle, I keep my balance under 10,000.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Since you have a Tracfone branded phone and not BYOP, when you purchase ANY airtime from Tracfone online you are offered 365 service days for $49.99. Only you can decide if you want to fight Tracfone for your remaining airtime every year. A solution would be to actually use airtime rather than to just let it build up higher and higher each year.

Feedback Score
    So, I'm GUILTY until proven INNOCENT? Having worked in law, I don't think so. To begin with, since i clearly don't use these phones that much, why would I go to the trouble of figuring out how to "steal" minutes? And if their system is that hackable (which I doubt) that's TF's issue to address, not the consumer's.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    So, I'm GUILTY until proven INNOCENT? Having worked in law, I don't think so. To begin with, since i clearly don't use these phones that much, why would I go to the trouble of figuring out how to "steal" minutes? And if their system is that hackable (which I doubt) that's TF's issue to address, not the consumer's.
    Except it's not that way in real life.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    So, I'm GUILTY until proven INNOCENT? Having worked in law, I don't think so.
    We're not saying what TF do is right. We're just telling you the ugly fact. Do what you want with your phone.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone has some absurd business models. There are usually expensive ways and cheap ways of doing the same thing. Anyone with a modicum of internet research can discover HSN and see that one can get three or four of these cheap deals and really load up for the future. Of course, that results in things that Tracfone doesn't like. Tracfone wants to see paid airtime being loaded at least once a year. The maximum plan comes with 365 days, which should force the average customer to buy something. But there is nothing stopping someone from daisy-chaining several HSN deals together. It's totally Tracfone's fault. They are practically giving away phones and airtime and then punishing people who are just buying what's offered. It's inevitable that balances will trend high.

I understand that they are trying to attract new customers. But they are falling into their age-old trap of miscalculating the savvy of current customers who read blogs. The original "fraud problems" were the result of poor control of promo codes and bonus minutes and two-fers and other stuff they were giving away. Any flaws were soon exploited. That was with one-bucket feature phones, and there were either absurd balances or even quantities of "harvested" phones being sold to overseas dealers.

There were sellers on eBay with phones loaded up with practically free minutes. Eventually, Tracfone got a handle on the situation, but it took a while. A lot of suspect phones got deactivated.

Tracfone is not good at cause and effect. They allow their advertising to have errors. The CSRs have to take the heat and I'm not sure they have even seen a Tracfone to have personal experience.

I stay with the company because I have airtime invested and at least I feel that I have a handle on how to work things. This outfit is trying to be all things to all people and has too many twists and turns. It is too easy for a customer to feel cheated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast