Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kick off AT&T iPad plan by the fraud department?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    ...I love the ones that defend corporate like it's their mom...
    LOL. LOL. LOL. I stopped reading after that sentence. It couldn't get better. TY.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score

a

Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    Lol abusing the system. I love the ones that defend corporate like it's their mom. How about the taxpayers sue scummy AT&T for taking massive tax breaks and promising job growth only to do massive layoffs of good paying jobs? And taking jobs away from AMERICANS only to then force those same Americans to train their FOREIGN replacements? I know the comeback already: "It's just business!" Well it's just business when people without reliable internet access take necessary measures to get themselves connected. That circles back around to more corporate welfare taken by companies like AT&T with the promise to deploy broadband to underserved areas, only to have said companies give a giant middle finger to the state and not only not apologize, but tell the state to shove it if those same politicians don't want to lose their campaign contributions.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T has invested a ton in their network. I am a shareholder but I also am a customer as well and I am aware of the totality of the business. Only people who had job cuts were in underperforming divisions but it would have also been done if the tax cuts were not applied and had no bearing on the tax cuts which have let AT&T grow even further as a company and have also meant added funds for employees as well. Tax cuts do not take away jobs. We are in a competitive economy and AT&T was hiring for positions they need and cutting where they don’t.

The AT&T Board was actually opposed to the Trump administration which included the tax cuts while I supported them.

As far as broadband deployment goes, 5G wireless is the path forward and will cover a large national scale. The AT&T Fiber deployments were done in limited markets and never was meant for a large scale operation. Till 5G, wireless technologies were not fast enough to handle broadband deployment and capital expenditures for AT&T Fiber are high.

AT&T is doing 5G+ for my own market in NYC later this year and will be under 10ms latency so fiber optics is unnecessary for my last mile and AT&T has a top tier 1 global backbone as well. At my own address, the existing choices of wired providers both use outdated coaxial for the last segment. Due to how cable works vs wireless, the wireless connection for 5G+ should be more reliable and have similar latency and higher speed tiers as well.

AT&T is the best option by me for services. Rural customers will be able to get 5G in a lot more areas over time. AT&T hasn’t done anything wrong or misused funds in any way. Governor Cuomo has called for 100% wireless coverage in NY as permits take a long time at times, and this is a good policy to reduce permit times for 5G deployment.
    Last edited by LTENetwork; 02-09-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    LTENetwork.... "I am a shareholder but I also am a customer as well and I am aware of the totality of the business."

Great, then you're aware that anyone with an existing unlimited plan can have a Nighthawk on there for $20 a month. You're right - putting the SIM card from an iPad plan violates the terms of service though.

Anyway, I was able to help my friend get an unlimited plan where she has a nighthawk on it now. She's actually paying less for her phones now too, AT&T is getting a little less per month per device, and it's all 100% legitimate on her own postpaid account.

What a vile and ignorant thing to start wishing people start suing each-other. Go read the TOS for data connect plans. You'd have to have one oar out of the water to think that someone who hits 22 gigs and is deprioritized the rest of the time (read: getting the table scraps of bandwidth after everybody else gets theirs...) deserves to be sued for using something in a way that's openly blogged about here, on RV Forums, and dozens of other very public websites, for years on end now, that AT&T has never even so much as told to stop writing up about. Not to mention the sheer cost of suing someone, when nothing has been stolen or damaged (again, if this was damaging, there wouldn't be countless postpaid plans where ATT happily sold people this for a lower monthly cost in the past), when you can just tell them to go away.

I think the one thing we can agree on is that this thread has run its course and should be closed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassweaver View Post
    LTENetwork.... "I am a shareholder but I also am a customer as well and I am aware of the totality of the business."

Great, then you're aware that anyone with an existing unlimited plan can have a Nighthawk on there for $20 a month. You're right - putting the SIM card from an iPad plan violates the terms of service though.

Anyway, I was able to help my friend get an unlimited plan where she has a nighthawk on it now. She's actually paying less for her phones now too, AT&T is getting a little less per month per device, and it's all 100% legitimate on her own postpaid account.

What a vile and ignorant thing to start wishing people start suing each-other. Go read the TOS for data connect plans. You'd have to have one oar out of the water to think that someone who hits 22 gigs and is deprioritized the rest of the time (read: getting the table scraps of bandwidth after everybody else gets theirs...) deserves to be sued for using something in a way that's openly blogged about here, on RV Forums, and dozens of other very public websites, for years on end now, that AT&T has never even so much as told to stop writing up about. Not to mention the sheer cost of suing someone, when nothing has been stolen or damaged (again, if this was damaging, there wouldn't be countless postpaid plans where ATT happily sold people this for a lower monthly cost in the past), when you can just tell them to go away.

I think the one thing we can agree on is that this thread has run its course and should be closed.
    Lawsuits are a necessary tool at times. I don’t see your point. The contract for the unlimited tablet standalone plan specifically states it is for tablets only.

I have seen criminal lawsuits due to cablemodem uncapping which constitutes theft of services. Using a tablet plan for hotspot data is similar and enables a lot more usage and users to use the system. While AT&T may not have sued yet on this, they would be legally allowed to sue and based on case precedent, it is more than likely the courts would see those cases as justified if they were to do so. I personally believe AT&T will not take this route due to the expenses involved however but would in the vast majority or maybe all will terminate a users account once they are aware of the activity. Time will tell what their approach is. The legal department has likely had discussions on these internally. The FBI was active in the cablemodem uncapping cases and a lot of people were convicted.

My own data use is very high but I only use it on a single tablet. AT&T can deprioritize me if needed.

You CAN use 2TB of data or ANY amount on a tablet in a month and you are not against terms of service. AT&T has active tools to identify the actual device being used is not in a tablet. The data amount itself is not the factor here as its an unlimited plan with deprioitization, but using it on a hotspot where other devices come online is a problem.
    Last edited by LTENetwork; 02-10-2020 at 02:33 AM.

Feedback Score
    Don't you just love people who say their piece, then suggest that the thread be closed?

Feedback Score
    bmtvaquero - I'm confused. Are you talking about when LTENetwork ended his first post with "This thread should be closed." or when I agreed with him? Either way, I agree with him. Debating whether or not people should be sued and whether $35 a month for an iPad plan, or $20 a month for a hotspot legitimately on a share everything plan....seems kind of pointless.

"I have seen criminal lawsuits due to cablemodem uncapping which constitutes theft of services."

And I've read about them for people who clone IMEI's too. In both cases, that involves hacking. In fact I'm 100% sure IMEI cloning is a federal offense, for one. I don't think taking a SIM card from one device and putting it in different one falls under that umbrella. God forbid Grandma get her house sued out from if she puts her iPad data card in another device and it...just works.

"Using a tablet plan for hotspot data is similar and enables a lot more usage and users to use the system."

I completely agree. Wouldn't you agree though, that it's strange that my friend who got her iPad plan cancelled, is paying $20 a month now (read: $15 less per month) for the same thing on postpaid, where AT&T themselves put the nighthawk on an unlimited plan for that price?

"maybe [ATT] will terminate a users account once they are aware of the activity."
    "AT&T has active tools to identify the actual device being used is not in a tablet."

I think my friend and the couple other people posting about similar shut-down's here are living proof that there's a threshold at which they do care. And yes, an IMEI specifically tells you what device a SIM card is in. They could simply block accounts with an IMEI that doesn't match what's on the account....and yet, for years, unlike every other carrier that does....they have chosen to not.

For years, the largest thread on the first page of the ATT forums here has been devoted to doing this. As has the one that ATT has had about 3 years now to issue a takedown notice for rvmobileinternet's page about the ipad plan.

Personally, I think even allowing hotspots on the old, and nowdays very hard to get "unlimited share" plans was a test at providing rural internet, and a precursor to seeing 5G home internet offered.

Personally, I think ATT will deactivate every single person whose iPad account has a mismatched IMEI once they have the ability to offer LTE home internet at a capacity that lets them compete with cable, DSL, and satellite providers....because at that point, it'll make more money to tell people to go to a $70 month fixed home internet plan....like Verizon is already doing in their 5G markets.

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, and I'm sure to others I sound like I have my head in the sand - and I'll admit, I'm biased because I want this to work for my friends that don't have other options....but I really believe ATT is turning a blind eye to the ipad plans, and the articles that have been online for years detailing how to use them this way....because (again, in my opinion) to them, it's all an experiment. Area gets too many people using too much data? Just cancel the people misusing the iPad plan. That doesn't make them look bad since, as you LTENetwork pointed out, the customers are the ones in the wrong here. If they put up billboards advertising rural internet though and couldn't deliver? That would make them look bad - and the reason they can't is simply because of the capacity & numbers game that 4G is, which 5G resolves.

Personally, I think this is all leading up to the wireless carriers doing to the cable companies what they did to the phone companies over the last 10 to 20 years. I think that's also why cable companies are offering their own wireless phones now - they're scared out of their pants, and the only ones that will survive the next 20 years will be those that merge with wireless providers, or expand past cable offerings like Comcast has excelled at doing.

Feedback Score
    bmtvaquero - I'm confused. Are you talking about when LTENetwork ended his first post with "This thread should be closed." or when I agreed with him?
    Yes.......

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

"Using a tablet plan for hotspot data is similar and enables a lot more usage and users to use the system."

I completely agree. Wouldn't you agree though, that it's strange that my friend who got her iPad plan cancelled, is paying $20 a month now (read: $15 less per month) for the same thing on postpaid, where AT&T themselves put the nighthawk on an unlimited plan for that price?

So your friend got the $20 post paid iPad plan directly from AT&T? And AT&T themselves put the sim card into a M1? Did you friend have any other AT&T lines? Or was she able to get only the iPad line for $20 without owning an iPad?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    So your friend got the $20 post paid iPad plan directly from AT&T? And AT&T themselves put the sim card into a M1? Did you friend have any other AT&T lines? Or was she able to get only the iPad line for $20 without owning an iPad?
    Good question. I should clarify - no, she got an unlimited plus plan. First two lines are $145 together, each additional line is $20.

So, she and her family have 3 smartphones. That makes each of the first two lines about $70 ea. Next one is $20 and the nighthawk is $20 as well. All together that makes her 3 phones cheaper than they were on big red.

Yes, an AT&T store put the SIM in the M1. I just told her how to get the plan - I didn't help her any further than my original failed attempt. If anyone else wanted to do the same thing, you would need to find an ATT rep that can magically procure an old unlimited plus plan, or you would have to buy out someones existing unlimited plus plan, who doesn't see the value in it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Good question. I should clarify - no, she got an unlimited plus plan. First two lines are $145 together, each additional line is $20.

So, she and her family have 3 smartphones. That makes each of the first two lines about $70 ea. Next one is $20 and the nighthawk is $20 as well. All together that makes her 3 phones cheaper than they were on big red.

Yes, an AT&T store put the SIM in the M1. I just told her how to get the plan - I didn't help her any further than my original failed attempt. If anyone else wanted to do the same thing, you would need to find an ATT rep that can magically procure an old unlimited plus plan, or you would have to buy out someones existing unlimited plus plan, who doesn't see the value in it.
    That is amazing she was able to get the old Unlimited Plus plan. Good for her!!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So did this happen to you? I read a new post last night on Reddit about a guy saying the Fraud department shut him off for using 1.4TB.
    Yes it happened to me. My number on account was very old one, so off course no calls, but first they suspended. I called and the representative said line was blocked, he unsuspended it. I start using again and around 1.5 weeks later line canceled completely. Received email that plan was canceled on request or no usage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfwarrior View Post
    Yes it happened to me. My number on account was very old one, so off course no calls, but first they suspended. I called and the representative said line was blocked, he unsuspended it. I start using again and around 1.5 weeks later line canceled completely. Received email that plan was canceled on request or no usage

Did you just get a new sim card then and create a new line? I've heard of a few people doing this. Probably need a new sim card though.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Did you just get a new sim card then and create a new line? I've heard of a few people doing this. Probably need a new sim card though.
    Yes but I don’t know what are the parameters they are running, high usage or imei mismatch.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Was it hotspot line maybe that was originally offered on Unlimited Plus but later discontinued or does it particularly state, iPad line?

Feedback Score
    FWIW, my account renewed today, where this is month #2 of service. I only used 10.56GB last month.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast