Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Home Internet

Device(s)
    MT2L03
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I bumped this thread up to ask has there been any recent news about home internet now that the merger is a go?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkej2k View Post
    I bumped this thread up to ask has there been any recent news about home internet now that the merger is a go?
    I have not heard anything yet and I would not expect to for a while. Other than a few trial locations, T-Mo does not have the data capacity to offer home Internet without degrading their core phone and mobile data service. I don't expect much to happen until they convert Sprint's band 41 to T-Mo. That could take a while, like a year or so just for where they have cells now.

Expanding band 41 to the rest of the areas that Sprint was never able to deploy could take years. T-Mo gets all of Sprint's cells that they want, but Sprint and T-Mo areas covered largely overlap so the Sprint cells don't add much coverage area.

This is something a lot of people want. It's coming, but not next week or next month. The limited range of band 41 is not going to cover much of rural areas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The limited range of band 41 is not going to cover much of rural areas.
    Better coverage for rural areas was part of the promise made to the regulators. You are correct that B41 is not going to be very good for that unless they put in many more towers. Not sure if Sprint is using B41 in my area, but do know that TMO is not using their low-band B12 and B71 here. Do they think everyone lives in flat unobstructed areas?

Device(s)
    MT2L03
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the responses. I should have been more specific with my question: Was offering home internet by T-Mobile just a ploy to get approval for the merger and an idea that will be dropped now that T-Mobile has what it wanted?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Better coverage for rural areas was part of the promise made to the regulators. You are correct that B41 is not going to be very good for that unless they put in many more towers. Not sure if Sprint is using B41 in my area, but do know that TMO is not using their low-band B12 and B71 here. Do they think everyone lives in flat unobstructed areas?
    I don't recall that wireless home Internet for X% of rural areas was promised to the regulators. IIRC, the X% was just for phone cell service. Band 71 can do that, but doesn't have the data capacity bandwidth to offer widespread home Internet.

I live on the rural fringe of suburbia. Until T-Mo turned on band 71 I had no T-Mo signal at home. Now it is solid, but not fast, in the most interior room of the house. Even around town T-Mo was spotty. Now it is solid. I have not checked between towns yet.

They could provide some home Internet in pockets if they go ahead and put band 41 on the cells between towns. Massive cell/tower building spaced for band 41 is unlikely to happen any time soon, if ever.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the responses. I should have been more specific with my question: Was offering home internet by T-Mobile just a ploy to get approval for the merger and an idea that will be dropped now that T-Mobile has what it wanted?
    I believe that T-Mo actually wants to sell wireless home Internet to make money. They are expected to do it with Sprint's band 41 (2.6 GHz). Sprint has/had a good swath of band 41 licenses all around the country, but never had the money to deploy a lot of it geographically. There is enough bandwidth in band 41 that they don't need to reserve it for mobile phone use.

They also have a good amount of mm-wave spectrum that could be useful in metro areas.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I believe that T-Mo actually wants to sell wireless home Internet to make money. They are expected to do it with Sprint's band 41 (2.6 GHz). Sprint has/had a good swath of band 41 licenses all around the country, but never had the money to deploy a lot of it geographically. There is enough bandwidth in band 41 that they don't need to reserve it for mobile phone use.

They also have a good amount of mm-wave spectrum that could be useful in metro areas.
    Agreed. If anything, the home internet offering so far was probably a market test/proof of concept for the 5G home internet service they'll eventually launch. I suspect they've been waiting for 5G and additional capacity before officially launching home internet service nationwide.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    They could provide some home Internet in pockets if they go ahead and put band 41 on the cells between towns. Massive cell/tower building spaced for band 41 is unlikely to happen any time soon, if ever.
    Phone use does not mean diddly squat compared to increasing the Internet capability outside the urban areas. I don't live in those areas, don't travel there much, and care very little for their needs. This is a common attitude of rural people on a variety of social issues.

The 5G promise seems to have little benefit for this without a real expensive build-out. Let's see what LEO satellites look like in comparison. SpaceX is not far away from turning that on.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My Comcast when it is working gives me about 28 Mbps for $60 a month. I get over 35 Mbps on my phone for T-Mobile that is just $50 a month but has data limits. Had a Facebook video social party during the Covid19 issue with 8 friends and had to disconnect from Comcast since it was buffering. T-Mobile had no buffering issues.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Home Internet

Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    My Comcast when it is working gives me about 28 Mbps for $60 a month. I get over 35 Mbps on my phone for T-Mobile that is just $50 a month but has data limits. Had a Facebook video social party during the Covid19 issue with 8 friends and had to disconnect from Comcast since it was buffering. T-Mobile had no buffering issues.
    Yea Spectrum failed my neighborhood last week for 2.5 days.

I connected two huge smart TV’s to my iPhone hotspot and another plus two laptops to my tablets’ hotspot. T-Mobile’s network didn’t skip a beat!

I’m pretty thankful. I had video conferencing calls to do and the LTE network came through when Spectrum couldn’t keep up.

No buffering, no pausing no disconnects.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They just completed the merger a week ago. It will take them till a July before their billing is all T-Mobile. I read that a major slowdown due to Covid19 is that T-Mobile can’t get approvals and permits to make tower changes since most of the city, countries and state agencies are closed since they don’t consider permits as a essential operation.

“ Wireless operators and infrastructure companies need local governments to approve new cell sites that are needed to strengthen their 4G networks and to deploy 5G.“
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/ma...5g-deployments

No WISP is a solid new revenue channel for T-Mobile. WISP will be most of the new growth in revenue for T-Mobile since unfortunately the merger is not going to put AT&T or Verizon out of business. There are only so many cell phone customers and it is a saturated business since people like me only need one phone. WISP is where people will see that 5G is better than LTE and more efficient than LTE by 20% to 25%. First they have to consolidate their networks and start moving people over to T-Mobile as job one. Don’t expect WISP until they have 5G modems for your home that work on most of T-Mobile and Sprint’s spectrum Including LAA and mmWave.

The only place where T-Mobile is using Sprint’s Band 41 is Philadelphia where T-Mobile is testing how Band 41 and the rest of T-Mobile spectrum work together. Sprint sold phones that had HPUE for Band 41 that extended the cell phones distance to tower by using a higher watts transmitter in the cell phones. Don’t know if most of the phones T-Mobile sold supported Band 41 or HPUE.

Name:  D7333F75-4C4C-4F57-9B97-E94ACDE646B1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  41.6 KB
    Last edited by shilohcane; 04-08-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The only place where T-Mobile is using Sprint’s Band 41 is Philadelphia where T-Mobile is testing how Band 41 and the rest of T-Mobile spectrum work together. Sprint sold phones that had HPUE for Band 41 that extended the cell phones distance to tower by using a higher watts transmitter in the cell phones. Don’t know if most of the phones T-Mobile sold supported Band 41 or HPUE.
    Just about all phones have B41, but I doubt non-Sprint phones have HPUE. What I can't find out is where B41 is available. There is a cities/metro list, but no indication on the Sprint coverage map. Actually, there is nothing there about any advanced LTE feature.

https://newsroom.sprint.com/new-hpue-report.htm

An odd thing on the Sprint map is a huge difference on voice vs data coverage in my area. Would they be basing this on CDMA voice? If LTE data is good, you would think VoLTE would be good. The T-Mobile map does not show anything but LTE.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I have not heard anything yet and I would not expect to for a while. Other than a few trial locations, T-Mo does not have the data capacity to offer home Internet without degrading their core phone and mobile data service. I don't expect much to happen until they convert Sprint's band 41 to T-Mo. That could take a while, like a year or so just for where they have cells now.

Expanding band 41 to the rest of the areas that Sprint was never able to deploy could take years. T-Mo gets all of Sprint's cells that they want, but Sprint and T-Mo areas covered largely overlap so the Sprint cells don't add much coverage area.

This is something a lot of people want. It's coming, but not next week or next month. The limited range of band 41 is not going to cover much of rural areas.
    This is not supposed to be discussed as it interferes with the narrative that magically band 41 is going to overlay the band 71 footprint or that those band 71 towers being used for edge coverage with a low number of elements will suddenly support a million devices per square kilometer (part of the 5G spec).

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Just about all phones have B41, but I doubt non-Sprint phones have HPUE. What I can't find out is where B41 is available. There is a cities/metro list, but no indication on the Sprint coverage map. Actually, there is nothing there about any advanced LTE feature.

https://newsroom.sprint.com/new-hpue-report.htm

An odd thing on the Sprint map is a huge difference on voice vs data coverage in my area. Would they be basing this on CDMA voice? If LTE data is good, you would think VoLTE would be good. The T-Mobile map does not show anything but LTE.
    Seriously Tmobile can't mothball Sprint's network fast enough. It's likely going to be messier than its being portrayed. I hope it goes well though.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast