Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Google Fi For Caribbean Cruise?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,949
    Feedback Score
    0

    Google Fi For Caribbean Cruise?

    My wife and I will be going on a cruise this winter. Our ports of call are:

    San Juan (Puerto Rico)

    Bridgetown (Barbados)

    Castries (St. Lucia)

    Basseterre (St. Kitts)

    Tortola (British Virgin Islands)

    St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)


    We currently use Total Wireless in the United States. I do have a couple of AT&T hot spots, so I can either get something for our smartphones or get a data SIM for the hot spot. My hot spot is already carrier subsidy unlocked. For the most part, my wife will want to access Facebook and post some photographs. What would people here recommend that I use? It is only for a week, so I don't want to enter into any long term contracts. I should add, too, that my current AT&T hot spots are for the AT&T Connected Car plan and do not work outside of the United States.

    In the past, someone suggested Google Fi. Do they have a hotspot plan or would I simply need to get a SIM card of theirs for each smartphone? I did check the site at the URL below and Google Fi does have coverage at each of those places.


    https://fi.google.com/about/international-rates/

    Our devices are as follows:

    Samsung Galaxy S9 (universal unlocked)

    Samsung Galaxy S8 (Verizon branded--believed to be unlocked for GSM)

    Netgear Nighthawk M1 MR1100 Mobile Router

    Netgear AC797S Unite Express 2 Mobile Hotspot
    Last edited by Jim1348; 01-12-2020 at 01:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,748
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Google Fi For Caribbean Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    My wife and I will be going on a cruise this winter. Our ports of call are:

    San Juan (Puerto Rico)

    Bridgetown (Barbados)

    Castries (St. Lucia)

    Basseterre (St. Kitts)

    Tortola (British Virgin Islands)

    St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)


    We currently use Total Wireless in the United States. I do have a couple of AT&T hot spots, so I can either get something for our smartphones or get a data SIM for the hot spot. My hot spot is already carrier subsidy unlocked. For the most part, my wife will want to access Facebook and post some photographs. What would people here recommend that I use? It is only for a week, so I don't want to enter into any long term contracts. I should add, too, that my current AT&T hot spots are for the AT&T Connected Car plan and do not work outside of the United States.

    In the past, someone suggested Google Fi. Do they have a hotspot plan or would I simply need to get a SIM card of theirs for each smartphone? I did check the site at the URL below and Google Fi does have coverage at each of those places.


    https://fi.google.com/about/international-rates/

    Our devices are as follows:

    Samsung Galaxy S9 (universal unlocked)

    Samsung Galaxy S8 (Verizon branded--believed to be unlocked for GSM)

    Netgear Hotspots
    Well your AT&T hotspot will already work in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands as they are considered domestic.

    I think you’re also covered with Total Wireless in Puerto Rico.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,049
    Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    Well your AT&T hotspot will already work in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands as they are considered domestic.

    I think you’re also covered with Total Wireless in Puerto Rico.
    Verizon has no network in Puerto Rico, Total won't work there.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,748
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Verizon has no network in Puerto Rico, Total won't work there.
    This was on their website so I wasn’t sure:

    “Calls must originate from the US or Puerto Rico. No international roaming allowed.”


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,049
    Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    This was on their website so I wasn’t sure:

    “Calls must originate from the US or Puerto Rico. No international roaming allowed.”


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting. The TracFone companies's websites and ads are famous for inaccuracies and false or misleading statements. But I'm happy to be proven wrong. I hope the OP tries his Total Wireless phone in Puerto Rico and reports back whether it works there.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,748
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Interesting. The TracFone companies's websites and ads are famous for inaccuracies and false or misleading statements. But I'm happy to be proven wrong. I hope the OP tries his Total Wireless phone in Puerto Rico and reports back whether it works there.
    You’re right...it certainly could be wrong so I’d probably have a backup if it was really important to have a working phone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,167
    Device(s)
    Moto X4 & G7; Pixel 3a & 4xl; Nexus 5x; IPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    0
    They have been many posts that while at sea, one must use the cruise ship’s cellular plan to have connectivity. It is reported to be expensive based on the cruise line.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,049
    Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    They have been many posts that while at sea, one must use the cruise ship’s cellular plan to have connectivity. It is reported to be expensive based on the cruise line.
    Except when coming into and out of port, cruise ships typically travel well off shore, out of the range of land based cell towers. I've taken a few cruises and only once or twice have I been able to briefly connect to a weak land based cell signal. The ship's on-board cellular system is very pricey. Prices I saw were around 50¢/text, $3/minute and $3/MB. Cellular at sea is considered roaming, so most prepaid carriers won't even connect to it.

    If you absolutely must have data at sea, the ship's WiFi, while expensive, is considerably cheaper than cell data. Shipboard WiFi seems to be getting cheaper. I see Princess is offering it as a free perk with some cruises and Viking Ocean has free unlimited WiFi on all cruises.
    Last edited by Yeswap; 01-13-2020 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Missing comma, corrected exagerated data cost.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,949
    Feedback Score
    0

    Google Fi For Caribbean Cruise?

    I posted the wrong locations, our ports of call are:

    Puerto Rico

    Aruba

    Curaçao

    St. Lucia

    St. Kitts

    What speeds would be likely with Google Fi in the above locations?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,949
    Feedback Score
    0

    Google Fi For Caribbean Cruise

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I posted the wrong locations, our ports of call are:

    Puerto Rico

    Aruba

    Curaçao

    St. Lucia

    St. Kitts

    What speeds would be likely with Google Fi in the above locations?
    So far, so good on this trip.

    I called Google Fi Customer Support to get things going in Aruba. I had to manually select 3G to make it work.

    My wife and I are in Curacao right now and 3G speeds are good enough for me.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    missouri and fla
    Posts
    1,906
    Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hope you got back safely.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Similar Threads

  1. What Carrier For Caribbean Cruise?
    By Jim1348 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-03-2020, 06:21 PM
  2. A Free Month of Google Fi For New BYOD Customers
    By Qt0 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-02-2018, 06:25 PM
  3. Adios amigos, at least for a little bit; off to Google Fi
    By sirwired in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2016, 12:33 PM
  4. Can i use google-fi for one month?
    By titua1915 in forum Google Project Fi
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-19-2015, 07:12 AM
  5. Best Choice For Data On Caribbean Cruise
    By Jim1348 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks