Thread: VoLTE on Smart Talk on an unlocked Android device

Feedback Score

VoLTE on Smart Talk on an unlocked Android device

(I mean Straight Talk not Smart Talk!!)

Howdy,

A few years ago, I switched to Smart Talk on an unlocked iPhone.

Here was my post detailing how to DIY the switch: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-Straight-Talk

Glad I did it: over the years, Smart Talk has gotten better at the same price. I started out with 3 Gigs of high speed, and 5 Gigs of slow speed, and now I have 25 Gigs of high speed and unlimited slow speed.

--------------------

A couple of years ago I switched from iPhone to Xiaomi Max 2 (which was new at that time).

Max 2 (6.44" screen) is hands down the best phone I've ever used. It was the largest phone in the world when it came out, and I was hoping Xiaomi would introduce ever larger phones. Sadly, they've closed down the Max line (the last was the Max 3 with the 6.9" screen).

I've found that as long as I have a belt holster to hold the phone, the largeness of the phone doesn't bother me at all.

I love the Xiaomi brand, and I want an ever larger screen... so now I'm seriously considering their mini-tablet called "Mi Pad 4" (8" screen) to use as my daily driver (I do a lot of reading, need a massive screen-size, and very rarely do any phone calls).

There's an LTE model, and apparently, in the Chinese version of the OS, there's a phone app that can make phone calls via VoLTE.

There's no such LTE phone app on the international version of Mi OS (Xiaomi's Android fork). However, on the internet there's available a side-loaded phone app for this OS that can make phone calls on LTE devices.

--------------------

My question for y'all fine people: those of you who are using VoLTE or tried using VoLTE via Smart Talk on an unlocked Android device:

-- is it even possible?
    -- what has your experience been like? Was it easy / difficult.?
    -- please point me to specific instructions. (Info on the net seems to be sparse).

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by bumbumbumblebee; 01-10-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score

VoLTE on Smart Talk on an unlocked Android device

There’s no such thing as an app or side loading an app to get VoLTE. It’s something that’s built into the firmware of the device.

If you have no VoLTE settings to enable or disable there’s no getting VoLTE. Look under mobile networks in settings.

Also do you mean of Straight Talk? I’ve never heard of Smart Talk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hyelton is right. VoLTE is a firmware thing.

Plus your tower carrier need to support VoLTE on their MVNO, too. Since you never said your tower carrier, here is why. AT&T based has the lowest chance of getting VoLTE right now. Verizon and T-Mobile based has the easiest chance to get VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Also do you mean of Straight Talk? I’ve never heard of Smart Talk
    I did mean Straight Talk -- sorry about that... I've added a clarification to my post (but it won't allow me to edit the title -- so that stays unfortunately).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Hyelton is right. VoLTE is a firmware thing.

Plus your tower carrier need to support VoLTE on their MVNO, too. Since you never said your tower carrier, here is why. AT&T based has the lowest chance of getting VoLTE right now. Verizon and T-Mobile based has the easiest chance to get VoLTE.
    Thanks for the reply.

I haven't bought the "Mi Pad 4" yet.

Question: if I were to order a VoLTE capable unlocked Android device, then what's the process like (for Straight Talk) for me to switch from my currently ATT based Straight Talk system to a Verizon based Straight Talk VoLTE system, WHILE keeping my number? Would the people at Walmart be able to help with this? (I'm wary of them because sometimes they are ignorant.)

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bumbumbumblebee View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I haven't bought the "Mi Pad 4" yet.

Question: if I were to order a VoLTE capable unlocked Android device, then what's the process like (for Straight Talk) for me to switch from my currently ATT based Straight Talk system to a Verizon based Straight Talk VoLTE system, WHILE keeping my number? Would the people at Walmart be able to help with this? (I'm wary of them because sometimes they are ignorant.)
    As long as the phone and network are compatible with it, it should just work.

Yeah I wouldn’t even ask Wal-Mart that... 98% of them won’t even know what VoLTE is. Mostly due to lack of training though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just looked up the Mi Pad 4 LTE, and it looks like it will not work on Verizon based Straight Talk. It does not have the band 13 which is Verizon's main LTE band.

Edit: After looking at the Mi Pad 4 LTE even more, the Mi Pad 4 LTE only supports band 5 and 41 in the USA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bumbumbumblebee View Post
    Question: if I were to order a VoLTE capable unlocked Android device, then what's the process like (for Straight Talk) for me to switch from my currently ATT based Straight Talk system to a Verizon based Straight Talk VoLTE system, WHILE keeping my number?
    For any phone to run on the Verizon network, it has to be on their "whitelist". This includes carrier unlocked and MVNO branded phones. Verizon requires the IMEI number for activation, unlike the GSM networks where you can activate just a SIM card. Yes, Verizon will not allow activation of non-VoLTE capable phones.

Feedback Score
    I just looked up the Mi Pad 4 LTE, and it looks like it will not work on Verizon based Straight Talk. It does not have the band 13 which is Verizon's main LTE band.

Edit: After looking at the Mi Pad 4 LTE even more, the Mi Pad 4 LTE only supports band 5 and 41 in the USA.
    Yeah, most Chinese phones have never been compatible with US "CDMA" networks. Not having B13, B2, B4/66 is a killer for Verizon coverage.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    For any phone to run on the Verizon network, it has to be on their "whitelist". This includes carrier unlocked and MVNO branded phones. Verizon requires the IMEI number for activation, unlike the GSM networks where you can activate just a SIM card. Yes, Verizon will not allow activation of non-VoLTE capable phones.

Thank you both very much... very helpful.