• Staying Put?

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Just Switched from AT&T to Verizon -- 5 Lines -- Observations

Feedback Score

Just Switched from AT&T to Verizon -- 5 Lines -- Observations

Hi Everyone,

So I just took the plunge and switched my 5 lines from AT&T to Verizon (4 phones, 1 hotspot). Two iPhone 11's (one Pro), One XSM (Mine), one 6s, and a new 8800L (from MR1100) -- was supposed to be 2, but their software cannot do that (more than 5 lines) -- have to add on later. We're spread a across a number of the new Unlimited plans (e.g. Get more, do more, play more, etc.)

I'm noticing that Verizon is A LOT slower (often 2-3x slower) than AT&T was on speed tests in Central NJ and the Norther Philadelphia suburbs (along the PA TPK). Though some of this seems to be b/c Verizon seems to aggressively performance manage speedtest apps. I've been comparing a number of apps, SpeedTest (Ookla), SpeedSmart, SpeedCheck, and Fast (Netflix). I've also had a little stuttering on streaming music / YouTube which I haven't seen on AT&T for at least 5 or 6 years.

Additionally, at my house, Verizon seems saturated 10-20Mbit/sec DL in the evening versus ~100Mbit/sec at 5am and ~60Mbit/sec at 6am. I hope they deploy CBRS and refarm 850MHz soon. Unfortunately my XSM does't get CBRS. Jury is still out on the HotSpot. Seems slow so far, but I need to test more extensively.

Verizon really screwed up our order and porting. I spent more than 4 hours with them, on the phone yesterday (three separate calls) and I still have one line that cannot original calls. I was super pissed when I got disconnected after 2 hours waiting on hold for Tier 3. Leaving me with no resolution at 920pm at night and the offices closed.

On the plus side, what I find most interesting is that my XSM (which has crappy reception) still gets usable (albeit very, very slow) data and calling with just a single bar of LTE services. In contrast, on AT&T, by the time I got down to 1 or 2 bars (often 2 bars) my internet connection was usually stalled/unusable.

I've been an AT&T customer for 25 years. Would not of switched, but on AT&T my wife couldn't send/receive calls at work or the VOLTE was too garbled to be intelligible (Princeton/Lawrenceville, NJ).

On the plus side, Verizon is significantly less -- $30 less / mo then I was paying with AT&T. Actually $40 less including my FIOS bundled discount (FIOS is fantastic). Plus I get an extra $10 off my FIOS and free Apple Music. And Verizon, so far, seems Excellent at making phone calls -- which I don't do -- but gotta keep the wife happy.

Anyway, I'm reminded of the Turtle and the Hare. Verizon Wireless is definitely the Turtle. Trying to manage my expectations. Also, if you travel internationally, the Verizon TravelPass really sucks compared to the AT&T Day pass. Same price, but AT&T lets you use all of your plan's data -- Verizon, only 0.5GB.

I'm planning to move my Physical SIM to eSIM so I can sign up for Fi. Though I've read this seems to "break" the myVerizon App.

Already missing AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon is pretty much a downgrade these days when compared to at&t. It wasn't that way in the past but att has really built a great network while the Verizon network just keeps getting worse
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

So I just took the plunge and switched my 5 lines from AT&T to Verizon (4 phones, 1 hotspot). Two iPhone 11's (one Pro), One XSM (Mine), one 6s, and a new 8800L (from MR1100) -- was supposed to be 2, but their software cannot do that (more than 5 lines) -- have to add on later. We're spread a across a number of the new Unlimited plans (e.g. Get more, do more, play more, etc.)

I'm noticing that Verizon is A LOT slower (often 2-3x slower) than AT&T was on speed tests in Central NJ and the Norther Philadelphia suburbs (along the PA TPK). Though some of this seems to be b/c Verizon seems to aggressively performance manage speedtest apps. I've been comparing a number of apps, SpeedTest (Ookla), SpeedSmart, SpeedCheck, and Fast (Netflix). I've also had a little stuttering on streaming music / YouTube which I haven't seen on AT&T for at least 5 or 6 years.

Additionally, at my house, Verizon seems saturated 10-20Mbit/sec DL in the evening versus ~100Mbit/sec at 5am and ~60Mbit/sec at 6am. I hope they deploy CBRS and refarm 850MHz soon. Unfortunately my XSM does't get CBRS. Jury is still out on the HotSpot. Seems slow so far, but I need to test more extensively.

Verizon really screwed up our order and porting. I spent more than 4 hours with them, on the phone yesterday (three separate calls) and I still have one line that cannot original calls. I was super pissed when I got disconnected after 2 hours waiting on hold for Tier 3. Leaving me with no resolution at 920pm at night and the offices closed.

On the plus side, what I find most interesting is that my XSM (which has crappy reception) still gets usable (albeit very, very slow) data and calling with just a single bar of LTE services. In contrast, on AT&T, by the time I got down to 1 or 2 bars (often 2 bars) my internet connection was usually stalled/unusable.

I've been an AT&T customer for 25 years. Would not of switched, but on AT&T my wife couldn't send/receive calls at work or the VOLTE was too garbled to be intelligible (Princeton/Lawrenceville, NJ).

On the plus side, Verizon is significantly less -- $30 less / mo then I was paying with AT&T. Actually $40 less including my FIOS bundled discount (FIOS is fantastic). Plus I get an extra $10 off my FIOS and free Apple Music. And Verizon, so far, seems Excellent at making phone calls -- which I don't do -- but gotta keep the wife happy.

Anyway, I'm reminded of the Turtle and the Hare. Verizon Wireless is definitely the Turtle. Trying to manage my expectations. Also, if you travel internationally, the Verizon TravelPass really sucks compared to the AT&T Day pass. Same price, but AT&T lets you use all of your plan's data -- Verizon, only 0.5GB.

I'm planning to move my Physical SIM to eSIM so I can sign up for Fi. Though I've read this seems to "break" the myVerizon App.

Already missing AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Verizon is pretty much a downgrade these days when compared to at&t. It wasn't that way in the past but att has really built a great network while the Verizon network just keeps getting worse
    I have seen similar statements in this forum regarding ATT performance. It makes me wonder if the folks reporting it are ATT shills or if it’s really true. It it is really true, then maybe only in a few select areas around the country. On the other hand, Root Metrics always declares Verizon the winner year after year for reliability and performance. I would really like to know what to believe.

Feedback Score
    Well I do have to add that all of the customer service people I spoke with on the phone worked really hard to solve all of my porting and activation issues. Tonight I called the regular 611 support (instead of activations and porting) and Tier 1 was able to fix the issue with my wife’s line in under 10min!

My experiences with FIOS customer support and telesales have been equally excellent. Though I’ve never really had any technical issues. But I speak with them every 2 years to renew my contract, get upgraded equipment, etc.

I’m still trying to ascertain what will happen on my new Jetpack when I hit 15GB. In theory it’s an “unlimited” $20 (I pay $10) add-on connected device to my Get More plan. Some things I read suggest hard throttle to 600kb/s (aka unusable — like a phone hotspot/tether). Other things I’ve read suggest it is only de-prioritization.

My two unlimited hotspots on AT&T just de-prioritized, in theory, but in practice they were full speed all the time.

Verizon Speed tests just seem super variable even when standing still ranging from 2 Mbps to 50 Mbps depending on the minute and app that’s used.

I’m also pretty bummed how hard Netflix & YouTube are throttled. I’m not sure both of my kids will be able to stream their content in the car using the same Jetpack. Fast.com (Netflix) only ever reports 3-5Mbps.

As far as shills (or not) go, I put a lot of faith in reviews by the mobile internet resource center (they’re techy RV folks). They’re reviews, comments, insight tends to be right on the money.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    There’s are so many variables too which makes it hard to say for sure.

For example my coworker with Verizon can get 4-5 Mbps download speeds on his iPhone 11 Pro in my car while my (built in connected car)Verizon hotspot only gives out 800 Kbps speeds over LTE in the same spot time after time.

I’m pretty convinced my Verizon rate plan is forever deprioritzed compared to his giving me slower speeds. Either that or the built in modem in my vehicle is less capable?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Yeah, this happened to me on AT&T. I've had numerous hotspots over the years on T and Tmo. None were ever as fast as a "modern" smart phone at the time. Even the "flagship" MR1100 on AT&T was only, at best, roughly 50% (50-100Mbit/s) of the speed of my iPhone XSM (100-200Mbit/s). This same hotspot device (albeit with different bands, carriers, and firmware) routinely gets 200-400Mbit/s in Europe/Scandinavia and Australia. I'm convinced AT&T was throttling it. And T never pursued the necessary FCC approvals (256QAM, 4x4 MIMO, 3 or 4 CA) to make it truly fast.

That said, the devices in connected cars, etc. are often years out of date from a baseband modem technology standpoint and their antenna's are probably obscured by lots of metal

Feedback Score
    Hi Everyone,

Already missing AT&T.
    Verizon’s network is much weaker in portions of southern NJ and Philadelphia. AT&T has the better density and far more capacity deployed. Verizon’s network needs more spectrum, I think everyone will agree on that. They’re deploying CBRS on a large scale especially in dense urban areas. The licensed portion of CBRS and eventually C- Band is what Verizon needs desperately.

Feedback Score
    A downgrade? Well that depends on the market. Verizon is the best network in my area in terms of reliability, speed, and call performance.

Feedback Score
    I have both Verizon and ATT. I'm a full time rv'er and travel around, mostly west of the Mississippi. Verizon is more reliable to have a usable signal. Where Verizon and ATT both have good service, ATT is usually faster. Just my observations.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I have both Verizon and ATT. I'm a full time rv'er and travel around, mostly west of the Mississippi. Verizon is more reliable to have a usable signal. Where Verizon and ATT both have good service, ATT is usually faster. Just my observations.
    I’ll take reliability over speed islands. However at&t is increasing their coverage so that’s a plus.

Feedback Score
    Att is unusable in south Florida. Just switched back to Verizon after having att for about 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Hi Everyone,

Already missing AT&T.
    I've got Dual SIM Verizon/AT&T going in my 11ProMax, and its just amazing the night/day difference of AT&T compared to a few years ago.

Verizon i've just not cancelled due to my grandfathered *actually* unlimited data/hotspot, but they have well more congested spots now compared to AT&T, they sat arrogant about how great "the network" is and it's showing. They did not get WCS, Metro, Cricket, etc when they had the chance and now AT&T is a much better mid-band spectrum position.

I do not hate Verizon and hope they get better but the LTE has been a joke for a few years now, and as someone who travels around for work, AT&T 99% of the time will have a faster LTE network, even in congested areas AT&T seems to have better optimization in place causing me to not notice slow page loads, whereas Verizon will just completely crap out and I have to force 3G at times to get working data.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The main reson I left AT&T was this phenomenon where I’d have 3 bars of service but the data just wouldn’t work. It was such a common occurrence that I’d turn airplane mode on and off habitually to try to fix it (and it rarely would.) After switching to Verizon that very rarely ever happens to me. Admittedly it was a few years ago but I have been way happier with Veruzon
    iPhone 11 Pro 256GB on Verizon eSIM (Get More Unlimited plan) + Mint 2nd SIM.

Feedback Score

Just Switched from AT&T to Verizon -- 5 Lines -- Observations

Quote Originally Posted by harlenm77 View Post
    Att is unusable in south Florida. Just switched back to Verizon after having att for about 2 months.

I was in Miami a few months ago. AT&T worked quite well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    I was in Miami a few months ago. AT&T worked quite well.
    Well, not in Fort Lauderdale and it’s suburbs

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast