Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quibi will be bundled with T-Mobile customers’ plans

Feedback Score

Quibi will be bundled with T-Mobile customers’ plans

T-Mobile customers will get Quibi included with their plan, soon-to-be-CEO Mike Sievert has confirmed.

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/01/quib...-bundled-plan/

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ugh... Another streaming service.
    Even worse... Meg Whitman (former HP CEO that burned the company into bits) is launching it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by formercanuck; 01-09-2020 at 04:58 PM.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if $4.99 and $7.99 are a mobile-only, per-device price?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    It sounds like the paid service will be similar to a streaming service where you can use it on any device you want. Most streaming services do restrict how many devices one account can use simultaneously.

Apparently Meg Whitman is the CEO and Jeffrey Katzenberg is the founder and Chairman of the Board.

This article says they're spending a billion dollars on content in the first year. And it says they're highlighting the feature of movies that are made for watching in 7 to 10 minute episodes so people can watch when they have a quick break.

Obviously Katzenberg is a media mogul so it sounds like this service has a chance of taking off. It's great that T-Mobile customers get this service for free.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-...features-more/

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    7 to 10 minute episodes... About how long on traditional networks do shows run before a commercial? According to Quota... 8 to 10 mins

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    7 to 10 minute episodes... About how long on traditional networks do shows run before a commercial? According to Quota... 8 to 10 mins

My guess is commercials will happen at ~2-3 minute intervals with one happening at the start of the video.

Depending on how the videos are produced, the commercials might be interwoven into the content through product placement or clever transitions.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    It sounds like the paid service will be similar to a streaming service where you can use it on any device you want. Most streaming services do restrict how many devices one account can use simultaneously.

Apparently Meg Whitman is the CEO and Jeffrey Katzenberg is the founder and Chairman of the Board.

This article says they're spending a billion dollars on content in the first year. And it says they're highlighting the feature of movies that are made for watching in 7 to 10 minute episodes so people can watch when they have a quick break.

Obviously Katzenberg is a media mogul so it sounds like this service has a chance of taking off. It's great that T-Mobile customers get this service for free.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-...features-more/
    I think it's a pretty clever idea, but I also think they'll probably eventually have to give in and also buy select pre-existing content and reformat (crop for both orientations and "chapter" it) just to add variety and depth to the catalog.

Ironically this latest streaming service is really borrowing a very old-timey idea: the movie serial. What's Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon but a feature-length movie designed to be digested in 10-minute chapters once a week?

Even episodic TV drama in the 50s used to typically be only 30 minutes in length. Anthologies like the Twilight Zone, westerns, soaps, cop shows, etc. were all a half-hour. The move to hour-long drama wasn't made to tell more complex stories (though it had that effect eventually) but to cut costs. Producing a 60-minute drama typically added only about 50% more to the cost of producing a 30-minute show, but filled 100% more airtime. There are a lot of good stories that can be told in 10 minutes.

And programming designed specifically for tiny screens is also a neat idea. My wife travels for work a lot, and likes to carry a few hours of content for viewing on a plane. Most movies designed to watch in a theater don't translate particularly well to 6" screens, so she often sticks to stuff she's watched before, or stuff that the tiny screen won't hinder (talking head news, crap reality TV, sitcoms, etc.) "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", or "1917" for example, aren't movies you should watch on a phone for the first time!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile 2018:

Trashes Go90 on VZW: https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnLeger...27376479191040

Everyone: Trash, no one cares they want Netflix, YouTube and Hulu.

T-Mobile 2020:

Renamed Go90 going to be high quality, all new! They have the failed HP CEO on board too so you know it's going to be big!

Everyone: Yeah it's trash, no one cares, they want Netflix, Hulu and Disney+.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile customers will get Quibi included with their plan, soon-to-be-CEO Mike Sievert has confirmed.

All existing customers? Or, as is the T-Mobile way, only customers who sign up for the new plans that include it?

Because that's how T-Mo rolls. "We have these new plans, and they include XXX. If you want XXX, just move over."

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Is anyone else having trouble reaching TMONEWS.COM or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    All existing customers? Or, as is the T-Mobile way, only customers who sign up for the new plans that include it?.......
    The latter I suspect. I mean, my 55+ plan doesn't get free Netflix. Like they're going to add Quibi for free?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Adding something like this is just a way to either raise prices on new plans (look, you ALSO get this), or a reason not to lower prices.

Never heard of Quibi before. Doesn't sound interesting. If it gets bundled into my account it is something I'm paying for that I won't be using.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    agreed, doesn't sound interesting to me. I also don't find the Netflix offer interesting, as I've been a subscriber to their highest streaming tier--as well as their DVD service--for untold years. Fortunately, they offer the 55+ instead at an even better deal.

So, when they use this either to raise prices on new plans or as a reason not to lower prices, I really don't care. But I expect it to be "look at our new (higher priced) plans! We now include Quibi!"

(There's a pasta restaurant in Cincinnati that gives you your sit down order, then gives you another serving of it to go as you leave. That's their way of softening the high prices--the incremental cost of the second serving is nothing, and "ooo, look, lunch tomorrow!" provides value in the minds of the patrons.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Not eligible for the 55+ plan. Nor the Netflix since that requires at least 2 lines.

Feedback Score
    that was my point. I can have either (a) the regular plan with (a bare bones) netflix, or (b) the 55+ plan without netflix.

The math is simple. 55+ without netflix. I buy Netflix on my own. In general the "freebies" aren't worth it. Those who don't already have Netflix don't care and will never use it, and those who already have Netflix are already set with whatever they're doing.

I imagine it's a small subset of tmo users who (a) want netflix, and (b) are happy with the bare bones version tmo subsidizes.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I currently only do the Netflix DVD plan since I had caught up on the movies/TV shows on Netflix I was interested in. Especially with the cutbacks on choices.

I'm not really interested in the Netflix original programming.

I'll see how it goes. I'm on T-Mobile since I wanted to add my watch to my plan, I can't do that prepaid, and T-Mobile is cheaper than ATT or Verizon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast