Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quibi will be bundled with T-Mobile customers’ plans

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    All existing customers? Or, as is the T-Mobile way, only customers who sign up for the new plans that include it?

Because that's how T-Mo rolls. "We have these new plans, and they include XXX. If you want XXX, just move over."
    Nah. T-Mo wouldn't add something of little or no proven value and then raise rates to cover it- not because they're noble, but because they're not stupid.

Netflix is enough of a name brand to give a sense of value. Quibi isn't. If T-Mo is including Quibi, it's because they're getting it for next to nothing, or as part of a cross-promotional agreement. T-Mo's average demographic (young, tech-savvy) overlaps with Quibi's target market. Perhaps this is a short term thing (like the T-Mo Tuesday free year of Pandora Plus) to dangle a new, unproven service in front of 80 million potential long term customers.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Nah. T-Mo wouldn't add something of little or no proven value and then raise rates to cover it- not because they're noble, but because they're not stupid.

Netflix is enough of a name brand to give a sense of value. Quibi isn't. If T-Mo is including Quibi, it's because they're getting it for next to nothing, or as part of a cross-promotional agreement. T-Mo's average demographic (young, tech-savvy) overlaps with Quibi's target market. Perhaps this is a short term thing (like the T-Mo Tuesday free year of Pandora Plus) to dangle a new, unproven service in front of 80 million potential long term customers.

Yup... that's pretty much how T-Mobile and Quibi are most likely doing this. Kinda like a "T-Mobile Tuesdays". Basically 'free' stuff, as the vendors (Taco Bell) are literally paying for 'AD space'.
    Netflix is 'OK' enough to have included in my service, but I wouldn't want to be paying extra ... The $2/month I can deal with ... for now.
    Quibi is effectively paying T-Mobile for the promo if its bundled. Not paying extra for bundling of another product at this time.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble reaching TMONEWS.COM or is it just me?
    Tmonews is still working for me.

If T-Mo is including Quibi, it's because they're getting it for next to nothing, or as part of a cross-promotional agreement. T-Mo's average demographic (young, tech-savvy) overlaps with Quibi's target market.
    Exactly.

Ironically this latest streaming service is really borrowing a very old-timey idea: the movie serial. What's Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon but a feature-length movie designed to be digested in 10-minute chapters once a week?
    And a lot of video consumption is done off of YouTube in small clips. There's a good amount of the population that just goes from one clip to the next on YouTube. So having developed content in 7 to 10 minute lengths seems like a correct move. We'll see if it takes off or not.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post

And a lot of video consumption is done off of YouTube in small clips. There's a good amount of the population that just goes from one clip to the next on YouTube. So having developed content in 7 to 10 minute lengths seems like a correct move. We'll see if it takes off or not.

Yep, and I can't think of a better test market for this service than T-Mo's average demographic, the majority of whom are armed with smartphones with unlimited video data. If that group doesn't use it, Quibi is dead in the water!

Feedback Score
    I am reacting the same if they said "Free Tiktok". I don't care for or about the product, and it gave me a twinge of unease.
    Last edited by NotABiot; 01-15-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Even worse... Meg Whitman (former HP CEO that burned the company into bits) is launching it.
    Hmmm....HP hardware and Servers have been improving. Hey, they will soon be near Dell or perhaps overtake them eventually.

Not a fairy tale turn-around but definitely HP is a brand now worth considering.

So I think Meg did the company a lot of good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    T-Mobile 2018:

Trashes Go90 on VZW: https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnLeger...27376479191040

Everyone: Trash, no one cares they want Netflix, YouTube and Hulu.

T-Mobile 2020:

Renamed Go90 going to be high quality, all new! They have the failed HP CEO on board too so you know it's going to be big!

Everyone: Yeah it's trash, no one cares, they want Netflix, Hulu and Disney+.
    To me this quibi bundling makes me think their layer3 acquisition is a flop.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    To me this quibi bundling makes me think their layer3 acquisition is a flop.
    These are completely different items.

Quibi is just an agreement to allow their customers to use the Quibi app for free in exchange for some promotion.

The Layer3 acquisition will be utilized if the merger goes through and T-mobile can sell TV content that competes with cable via Sprint's B41 spectrum to homes. If the merger is disallowed, I don't see much use for Layer3 to T-Mobile. It needs that spectrum to really make it a competitor.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Anything that is free and puts me one step closer to firing Comcast cable is a great thing to me. What I want is Alacarte TV so I am not paying for channels that I don’t watch. The key for me to leave Comcast must include broadband internet via SpaceX, Amazon, T-Mobile or any other ISP.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Hmmm....HP hardware and Servers have been improving. Hey, they will soon be near Dell or perhaps overtake them eventually.

Not a fairy tale turn-around but definitely HP is a brand now worth considering.

So I think Meg did the company a lot of good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HP split - Enterprise and Ink. Enterprise was then sold off to many different entities (AT&T, CSC, new spinoffsm, etc).
    Ink is basically in the process of being taken over by Xerox.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/xerox-t...rd-11579792536

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    These are completely different items.

Quibi is just an agreement to allow their customers to use the Quibi app for free in exchange for some promotion.

The Layer3 acquisition will be utilized if the merger goes through and T-mobile can sell TV content that competes with cable via Sprint's B41 spectrum to homes. If the merger is disallowed, I don't see much use for Layer3 to T-Mobile. It needs that spectrum to really make it a competitor.
    pretty sure i recall them mentioning them offering 'bite sized' content after the layer3 acquisition (in addition to the other stuff you mentioned). so turning to some other company to supply this tells me they are still not doing much with layer3. i don't care enough to find the article where the interview was given about all this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Anything that is free and puts me one step closer to firing Comcast cable is a great thing to me. What I want is Alacarte TV so I am not paying for channels that I don’t watch.
    good luck with that. with network mega consolidation thats happened over the years, they dictate the terms. they are forcing companies to buy their bundle of channels. for example espn is a must-include in a bundle, and is also one of the most expensive channels. that gets passed down to consumer, whether they want espn or not.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Awful SB commercial for Quibi. Must have enough VC money for this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2