Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Google Voice app and/or Hangouts with FreedomPop LTE SIM - best method in 2020?

Feedback Score
    I don't experience any text delays using my GV # in the Hangouts app on any of my Android devices or on my computer.
    The calls and texts I received yesterday afternoon and today are working fine, so hopefully the delay I saw yesterday was a one-time thing.

Sometimes when I'm driving I like to pick up my phone and say "Hey Siri, send a text to my son using Google Voice." Can anyone tell me if this is possible with Hangouts instead of Google Voice?
    Hangouts hasn't added support for that with Siri.
    That figures. Just when I thought I could use Hangouts for all my calling and texting needs this issue makes me think twice. it is very convenient to use Siri voice commands with the Google Voice app ...

Now I'm wondering if I can install GV again, only to use its Siri integration for initiating calls and texts by speaking voice commands, while continuing to use the Hangouts app on the same phone to receive all my incoming calls and texts? Does anyone have experience doing this?

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    Now I'm wondering if I can install GV again, only to use its Siri integration for initiating calls and texts by speaking voice commands, while continuing to use the Hangouts app on the same phone to receive all my incoming calls and texts? Does anyone have experience doing this?
    Won't work with texts. You can either send texts in GV or Hangouts, not both. You can make and receive calls in both but not SMS. I use GV for making/receiving calls since I can use Siri in the car. The nice thing about using GV for voice calls via Siri is that you don't have to worry about that dang "shadow" number. If you're not using Siri, every time you make a call using GV app with iOS it starts the call but then stops and displays the shadow number and asks if you want to call that number which adds an extra step. That doesn't happen if using Siri (or Hangouts). The downside is the only way Siri works with GV is if you have it set to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data" for Make and receive calls in Settings. You can't have it set to "carrier only."

For SMS I strictly use Hangouts. If using Hangouts for SMS you will get a copy of your texts that show up in your GV history but you won't be able to start a text in GV.

It's all very kludgy but worth it to me to be able to make hands-free calls in the car.

Feedback Score
    I've never messed with the hands free ability in my car. But I guess all of the above is a weakness of Hangouts.

I don't know why Google can't just get it together and make the 3 above mentioned items the NEED to be fixed in the GV app so that they have the almost perfect replacement for Hangouts for those that use their GV #s for calls and messaging over data!

Feedback Score
    You can either send texts in GV or Hangouts, not both.
    So if I want Siri to send texts (or make calls) from the car, I need to reinstall GV ... and get rid of Hangouts.

The nice thing about using GV for voice calls via Siri is that you don't have to worry about that dang "shadow" number. If you're not using Siri, every time you make a call using GV app with iOS it starts the call but then stops and displays the shadow number and asks if you want to call that number which adds an extra step. That doesn't happen if using Siri (or Hangouts).
    When I had the GV app installed on my iPhone I never noticed it displaying a shadow number when not using Siri. However, I was frequently stopped from making calls in the GV app by a popup alert that says my wifi connection is not stable and do I agree to make the call using my carrier? I always have to dismiss this alert because if I agree the phone tries to make a call using its default calling app, and of course this always fails because the default calling app doesn't work with my FreedomPop LTE SIM.

The downside is the only way Siri works with GV is if you have it set to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data" for Make and receive calls in Settings. You can't have it set to "carrier only."
    This is not a downside to me because I already have mine set to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data".

So the bottom line for me seems to be this:

if I want to tell Siri to "Call my wife" or "Send a text to my son" I have to use GV because Hangouts cannot handle commands from Siri. And since I will have to use GV anyways, I should probably just just get rid of Hangouts. Fewer complications this way.

One thing I noticed in the GV legacy admin pages (which I only access via my computer, never from my phone) is that after I set the preference for my SMS texts to be sent by Hangouts I can no longer send them from the GV legacy admin pages -- because there's an error message in the legacy admin pages now that says: "You have opted in to send and receive SMS from Hangouts. Click here to install the Hangouts app to send SMS." ... and the TEXT button that used to be there is now gone.

It is disappointing that I cannot set my GV preferences on a device-by-device basis, but it seems that telling Google I want to send texts from Hangouts forces all my devices to require Hangouts to send texts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't know why Google can't just get it together and make the 3 above mentioned items the NEED to be fixed in the GV app so that they have the almost perfect replacement for Hangouts for those that use their GV #s for calls and messaging over data!
    Apparently they have other priorities. I still use and prefer the GV legacy interface on my computer because it is not limited with missing features like their later GV app is.

Google seems to have a scatter-brained approach to the development of Hangouts and the GV app. I wouldn't even mind using one for texts and the other for calls, provided I could configure the features I prefer to use on each app ON A DEVICE BASIS -- but even this seems unlikely in the future.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    When I had the GV app installed on my iPhone I never noticed it displaying a shadow number when not using Siri.
    I should have been more clear. This has nothing to do with Siri. If you have GV set to use WiFi/data only you won't see the shadow number and it won't be an issue. If you have GV set to use "carrier only" you will see the shadow number and have to acknowledge it. There is a thread on this topic in the GV support forums now. It has been acknowledged by a Google employee (not just the volunteers) and they are supposedly working with Apple to get this issue fixed.

However, I was frequently stopped from making calls in the GV app by a popup alert that says my wifi connection is not stable and do I agree to make the call using my carrier?
    And this is exactly why I would prefer to have my GV app set to use "carrier only" so I wouldn't run into this issue. I have unlimited minutes on Verizon prepaid. But I want to use Siri to make calls in the car so I can't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2