Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VoLTE with iPhone SE not working on TFW/Verizon

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RandySea View Post
    I looked at the TF offers. Found a reconditioned LG Rebel 4 (L212VL) for $15. I asked via Chat whether it was VoLTE compatible and if it used a Nano or Micro SIM.
    The Rebel 4 (L212VL) is VoLTE compatible and uses a nano SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tr...l-tcllx-a502dl

Got mine at Walmart

After you hang out here you will find most TF CS are pretty incompetent
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, that phone also requires some plan purchase on the TFW site. The nearest Walmart to me is 2 hours r/t over a snowy mountain pass.

As for the TFW people, you'll see from my posts going back years that I know only too well what to expect from them until you get bumped up at least two or more levels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The Rebel 4 (L212VL) is VoLTE compatible and uses a nano SIM.
    Great. Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    hpham = Very knowledgeable TF expert

Have learned a lot from him.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, that phone also requires some plan purchase on the TFW site. The nearest Walmart to me is 2 hours r/t over a snowy mountain pass.
    $20, no plan needed, free 2 day shipping.
    https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e.../st-lg-rebel-4

Feedback Score
    Thanks, loboheeler. I ordered the same LG refurbished from Tracfone for $15. If I were planning on using the phone, I'd have paid the $5 extra for a new one. All I want is the SIM to put in my iPhone SE. I'll give away the phone afterwards to a neighbor who has a phone too old to have VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    All I want is the SIM to put in my iPhone SE. I'll give away the phone afterwards to a neighbor who has a phone too old to have VoLTE.
    If you activate the Rebel 4, the SIM will be tied to that phone no matter where it's used. Why can't you activate the SE by itself using a BYOP SIM?

Feedback Score
    I'll give away the phone afterwards to a neighbor who has a phone too old to have VoLTE.
    Bad idea. As soon as the neighbor starts a new SIM using that phone, your original SIM will be toast. As I understand it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If you activate the Rebel 4, the SIM will be tied to that phone no matter where it's used. Why can't you activate the SE by itself using a BYOP SIM?
    Well, this idea came from TacoDan above who had a similar problem to mine:
    Here's what I did after multiple chat sessions with TF and trying replacement sims for my 6 and 7 iphones.

Bought 2 cheap ($20+) TF CDMA VoLte burner phones with nano sims had my service transferred to them then pulled the active sims out and installed them into my iphones throw the burners in a draw somewhere.

I can see the point about not giving away that new (reconditioned) phone. But I also know that I have been able to switch a TFW SIM from one phone to another. I have done that from a 5S to a SE and back, as I have traveled overseas and back, swapping between foreign and TFW SIMs in those two phones.

Just to be clear, at least as best I remember: I had a TFW SIM for Verizon originally activated in my 5S. When I got an SE, I activated it there. Now I can swap that SIM back and forth. I can also put a foreign SIM (GSM of course) in either phone.

Feedback Score
    In response to an earlier question: "Does your iPhone SE stay on LTE while on a call or does it drop down to something else ?"

You replied: "Interesting.... LTE was showing when I dialed, but it disappeared when I connected."

Here's a crazy thought: In your region, are you sure LTE coverage is already available everywhere via TF (Verizon) towers, particularly where you were located at the times you have tried to connect? Try placing a call when you are in the same exact location where one of your friends has successfully made their VoLTE calls via TF (with their own iPhone SE).

Also check if de-selecting "Low Data Mode" in Cellular Options has any effect.

Your experience has me concerned about the used Verizon iPhone SE that I just acquired myself. I plan to activate it soon with Page Plus (another Verizon MVNO which Tracphone now owns, and which uses the same SIM). I just bought an LTE SIM directly from Page Plus and will soon ask them to switch my service over from the old non-VoLTE flip phone I have long been using. But even after inserting the new SIM in advance, I see no reference to VoLTE in the iPhone settings section where it is supposed to appear. The status bar does show "TFW" and the carrier in settings is "Tracphone". Also, under Cellular Data Options, there is a switch to "Enable LTE" but no options listed at all for selecting Voice, or Voice & Data, or Data only. At the link in an earlier post, Apple says:
    "The cellular-data options on your iPhone might vary based on your carrier's network."
    ...and...
    " If your carrier doesn't support VoLTE and is a CDMA carrier, you'll only see an option to Enable LTE. This allows cellular-data use over the LTE network when available" (i.e., not Voice AND Data).

Until I read about your issue, I had been assuming that my forthcoming activation process with Page Plus Customer Service (who may be the same personnel as TF) would magically make the VoLTE options appear. In past activations of my older phones, an over-the-air (OTA) download would set them up to work on the service. Now I think that method of activation no longer applies.

Before I bought this iPhone, I did an online check of its IMEI to see that it was compatible with Page Plus (i.e., a VoLTE-capable Verizon phone) and it said it was fine. Knowing that Page Plus and Tracphone have almost identical requirements, try running your own phone's IMEI through their checker. (See the URL below.) Though it is designed as a first step for prospective customers who are considering whether to activate service, you will obviously not go further and can simply close the page after seeing that the IMEI does show VoLTE compatibility (or that it doesn't). I'd be interested in what result you get.
    Here's that page:
    https://www.pagepluscellular.com/act...new-activation

Feedback Score
    I just tried the Page Plus new activation link with three different SE IMEIs. All three failed. They each got a long paragraph starting with:

"We're sorry, that device is not eligible for activation on Page Plus. There could be many reasons for this, . . ."

Two of the phones' IMEI also get a sentence: "This phone is not VoLTE capable and not eligible for activation with Page Plus." The one that does not get the second sentence about VoLTE is my main phone, which started all this discussion.

I am about to try the new SIM I received yesterday from TFW.

Looking back over my notes, I cannot find who it was who said that they had VoLTE working with TFW on an SE. I do find multiple people in my area with SE's running VoLTE on Verizon directly. When I plug my IMEI into the Verizon site, it says:

Device
    Smartphone
    IPHONE SE SILVER 64GB SIM OUT
    Based on the information you provided, your device should work on our network.

I don't think low data mode is relevant, to me at least.

Feedback Score
    Here is a disturbing followup to my own posts. I got the new SIM card from TFW and just put it in my phone. Without activating, it does show TFW. But when I look at cellular data options, all it shows is "activate LTE", which is turned on. I put back in my old SIM and it still shows the LTE choices of Data or Data & Voice.

Now it could be that the choices would show up again if I activated the new SIM card. But I am reluctant to try it. I could end up worse than I started.

I will make another try with TFW tech support. If that doesn't help, I will put the new SIM card in a drawer for a while. See how things shake out with TFW and VoLTE later.

Feedback Score
    When the SIM is not activated, it cannot have a full dialog with the carrier. Some information is available, but there is no way for them to adjust your phone without a full connection. You don't have access to their systems. Tracfone has to present you as an official customer.

This partial connection is normal. So go ahead and activate the SIM and you will see the difference.

Feedback Score
    What you say makes complete sense, Lisme. But I am still very reluctant to put the new SIM card in. If it doesn't work, I could be worse off.

Right now, I can tell the TFW people that my phone at least gives me a choice of "Voice, Data On", even if that choice doesn't work. If with the new SIM card I only have an LTE on or off choice, it will be easier for them to insist that it is my phone.

Right now, I am back on hold with Tracfone, supposedly four levels up and this guy is waiting for his floor manager.

Incidentally, I also have a cheapo phone from TFW. It says I have HD Voice, which is another name for VoLTE. That confirms that the Verizon tower that I access here is working with VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    The highest level person I talked to, or at least the last one, acknowledged that the SE is listed as VoLTE compatible. She also agreed that the fact I have a choice of "LTE, VoLTE On" means that VoLTE is available on my phone, even if it's not working with TFW. But when she looks at my phone specifically, it shows "No" for compatibility.

After 1.5 hours, I am now escalated to "Miami engineers," whatever that means. I will supposedly get a call back and update on Saturday. She said there is no "ticket number."

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast