Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VoLTE with iPhone SE not working on TFW/Verizon

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevi View Post
    ..or maybe "Call Back Tomorrow", if they say that everyday.
    There was a restaurant in Saigon with a sign that says "All Meals Are FREE Tomorrow"

Feedback Score
    Anyway, it's good news, so far. They do seem to be struggling to catch up with all the varying tasks needed to deal with the upgrade for all their customers. Your situation may be serving as the canary in the coal mine for TFW, and the experience they are gaining from this may help other customers avoid the same problem in the weeks and months ahead. (You should get a medal!) I doubt many of those customers would be as persistent in getting things straightened out as you have been, nor would they likely have online friends as interested in helping brainstorm the issue as you have here at Howard forums.
    . . .
    Thank you for your kind words, kevi, and your many posts (and those of others, like hpham) in trying to find a solution.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    There was a restaurant in Saigon with a sign that says "All Meals Are FREE Tomorrow"
    And closer to home, Popeye's Wimpy would say "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RandySea View Post
    Thank you for your kind words, kevi, and your many posts (and those of others, like hpham) in trying to find a solution.
    You're very welcome, of course. I stand to benefit myself from all our discussion when I attempt activation of my own iPhone SE with PagePlus/TFW/Verizon before the end of this month. Good luck to both of us, and any others who may be in a similar situation.

Feedback Score
    Here's the latest: My last call with CBD (Corp Billing Dept), I was told that the system had my account showing "not VoLTE compatible" linked to an old SIM card and phone. A replacement SIM that TFW sent me just duplicated the old info and could not be set up for VoLTE. I didn't believe the correction couldn't be made in the system, but the supposed solution was ssimple enough. Just get a new, clean SIM online for a buck. The guy at CBD assured me that activating the phone with the new card would get me on VoLTE.

Hey, boys and girls, would any of you be surprised to hear that this DID NOT WORK?

I put the new SIM in today and called TFW. It only took three transfers before I got to someone who said he knew what VoLTE was and he could activate while activating my new SIM card. After a few "please wait a few minutes to finish activation," he disconnected. At least, he never tried to tell me that my iPhone SE wasn't VoLTE compatible.

I guess I'll have to call back, though I am getting really, really tired of the incompetence.

Device(s)
    TF iPhone SE, Tracfone iPhone 6S, TF Samsung Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RandySea View Post
    Hey, boys and girls, would any of you be surprised to hear that this DID NOT WORK?
    That sucks. Sounds like you are almost there though - good luck with your next call.

Feedback Score
    SUCCESS !

I finally reached the right person. It was after just two transfers, supposedly to the CBT (Carrier Billing Team). He exactly understood the issue. He said he'd have to disconnect my service and reconnect it. Took just a couple of minutes, then a reboot of my phone. I now have Voice and Data working simultaneously, that is, VoLTE.

Figuring that I'd never get this guy again without a lot of work, I asked him to do the same fix on my wife's iPhone SE. No problem. Again, just a few minutes and one reboot. Bingo!

For the rest of you with this problem, here was my strategy. Basically, I described the problem in the most exact and technical terms, referring to prior calls with CBT. With at least the first two people, I explained that on prior calls, I verified that my phone was VoLTE compatible. I said that at CBT's direction in a previous call, I had just installed a new SIM card. I then said something like "at your level, you do not have the tools necessary to reset my account to enable VoLTE, which the CBT said would be necessary. From past conversations with TFW, I know that the people in CBT have those tools, so please transfer me."

It didn't work earlier today. The guy never mentioned resetting, reprovisioning, or disconnecting/reconnecting my account, which are key terms showing the tech understands. That earlier guy just kept saying it would take a little longer to fully activate. Then he disconnected me. The guy just now said he would disconnect and reconnect my account, the magic phrase I was hoping the hear.

I sure hope for other people's sake, as we get closer to Verizon's deadline for switching over, TFW will have trained more people to be capable of fixing these problems.

Feedback Score
    Well, that is good news.

I suspect this disconnect/reconnect thing is especially difficult with Verizon. In the past, if you let your account lapse for one second, your phone number would be gone. So I guess there is a special procedure now.

It's too bad that you have to Sherlock your way to quality CS these days. A lot of companies are like that, unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    The proverbial CSR lottery.

Feedback Score
    Congratulations on finally getting results! Switching my service to my own iPhone SE two days ago (at sister carrier Page Plus) also was successful, using the SIM I recently received from them. But it did not go without one brief hitch that may or may not be related to yours: The rep took my IMEI and the ICCID (SIM card number) and we went through a required exchange of texts and a test call by me. After we determined my service was successfully transferred to this phone, we hung up. Later that night, I checked my balance, which PP lets you carry over so it had recently reached nearly $190 after many years. I was shocked to see that it had suddenly shrunk to $82!

So I called PP's customer service first thing the following morning, explained the issue and was transferred to a supervisor who recognized I was right. He fixed it within about 3 minutes while I was on the line. He then explained that any change of device requires the account to be closed and reopened by them (just like yours at TF). Accordingly, any balance then has to be restored manually by the rep in a few incremental steps. The previous day's rep must have made an error in re-building the balance from zero and stopped short of the right amount. The point, anyway, is that merely changing your device, even without the complicating introduction of VoLTE, requires more "resetting" of an account than we (and some reps) are aware of.

Feedback Score
    kevi, your point is well taken. In reading it, I realized that I had not checked the balances on our two phones before the process started. I should have grabbed them in a screen shot.

The good news is that I still have the what I should, as best I can remember.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, a screen shot is what I took as well, late at night, in anticipation of maybe needing to prove my pre-existing balance when I called them then in next morning. The "replenishment" history was where I could see my balance had been about $190 upon my applying a refill only a few days earlier. (The proof turned out to not be necessary, as I mentioned.) I suppose TFW gives you similar online management of your account and somewhere there it still showed the balance you had before the device change - minus any subsequent usage that might have legitimately dropped that a bit.

As for the iPhone SE we are both now using, I have researched its features and settings a lot over the last month or two. I learned a number of ways to maintain privacy, and also make it more like a simpler "feature" phone, while still taking advantage of the ease of use it gives me, (primarily when texting). I should mention that its Voice Control is really powerful, great for dictating my texts and notes, and customizable so much that I can almost completely avoid the need to use Siri.

Feedback Score

As for the iPhone SE we are both now using, I have researched its features and settings a lot over the last month or two. I learned a number of ways to maintain privacy, and also make it more like a simpler "feature" phone, while still taking advantage of the ease of use it gives me, (primarily when texting). I should mention that its Voice Control is really powerful, great for dictating my texts and notes, and customizable so much that I can almost completely avoid the need to use Siri.
    Is voice control internal (that is, it works offline)? I never use Siri because I don't want Apple recording everything I do on its servers.

Feedback Score
    Siri requires Internet connection to function and your exchange with "her" is stored, albeit temporarily they say, at Apple. But Voice Control does not use Internet or Apple's servers, even when you are online. The very first time you enable it (Settings> Accessibility > Voice Control) it automatically does a one-time download of the engine it needs to work. It takes just seconds in the background, and that's it. They do ask if you want to opt into letting them learn from your use of it, but I just declined, as you surely will too.

I now have Siri disabled in almost every way, including Location Services which I only re-enable briefly when I want help getting specific info from the Internet instantly. In fact, I only leave Location on for Find my Phone (although that would supposedly be re-enabled anyway if you initiate a "Lost Phone" mode), and for "Emergency SOS" (though that only improves Emergency communication in a way that is not essential).

To get the fullest out of it, you do need to read up on the commands available. Except for opening apps, it can only execute something that you could have done yourself by tapping someplace on the screen you see in front of you. So the key is to say "Tap ____" (whatever the tappable thing is called, or its known function). For example, say "Tap New Note" when you are in the Notes app and want to create a new note, or "Tap Send" after you just finished composing a text or email. Normally, it can be left engaged all the time (and a little blue icon shows in the corner of your status bar to indicate it is waiting to respond to any pre-programmed command.) But if, at any point, you expect it might execute or dictate something you didn't intend, you can tell it to "Go to Sleep" (icon fades to white) and later say "Wake up", rather than going into settings to temporarily turn it all the way off (and back on).

Dictation via Voice Control is better than Siri, as it works even when you are offline and also lets you thoroughly edit by voice, which Siri cannot easily do. That's the main benefit for anyone who hates typing, especially on small keyboards. The other cool thing (for me) is the ability to create custom commands, triggered by words I choose. Those can even carry out an entire series of actions if planned correctly so as to match the screens that Voice Control will be navigating you through.

Too much to go further into here (and I am still learning) but see the links below.

https://www.macsparky.com/blog/2019/...-apple-devices

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/news/24-...-free-0206364/
    Last edited by kevi; 02-01-2020 at 04:11 AM.

Feedback Score
    Great info, kevi. Thanks!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast