Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VoLTE with iPhone SE not working on TFW/Verizon

Feedback Score
    I said that because in a post he made a little earlier (middle of the thread's Page 4) he wrote:
    "Just now, I pulled the SIM card from the LG and put it into my iPhone SE. On the SE, I can turn click on "LTE, VoLTE On" and it is checked. But . . . I tried making a phone call and, while connected, was not able to use the Internet."

Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounds like he found "VoLTE" available for the first time, and that he tried to access internet "while connected". So unless that call actually went out only as 3G, I would think his "connected" call was VoLTE, leaving the issue of Internet inaccessibility during that call as the only remaining problem (such as it is). I think RandySea will need to clarify what occurred or re-test if unsure himself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RandySea View Post
    Ditto. I live in what you might call a "remote area."
    does the number on your sim card start with 891480 ( Verizon sim ) ??

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    RandySea what does your APN settings look like?

I had to use this to get mine to work...........

https://www.unlockit.co.nz/fw/

BTW my phones are.
    1. New Straight Talk/TW iphone 6 from Walmart.
    2. Used Verizon iPhone 7 from Swappa.com

Name:  IMG_0417.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0418.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0419.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0420.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  43.1 KB
    Last edited by TacoDan; 01-17-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    does the number on your sim card start with 891480 ( Verizon sim ) ??
    Yes.
    89148 0

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevi View Post
    So unless that call actually went out only as 3G, I would think his "connected" call was VoLTE, leaving the issue of Internet inaccessibility during that call as the only remaining problem (such as it is). I think RandySea will need to clarify what occurred or re-test if unsure himself.
    If his iPhone on TF/Verizon couldn't access Data while the call is in progress, the call was not going through VoLTE. If RandySea wants to confirm that, he can arrange with me to do a test call.

Feedback Score
    I said that because in a post he made a little earlier (middle of the thread's Page 4) he wrote:
    "Just now, I pulled the SIM card from the LG and put it into my iPhone SE. On the SE, I can turn click on "LTE, VoLTE On" and it is checked. But . . . I tried making a phone call and, while connected, was not able to use the Internet."

Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounds like he found "VoLTE" available for the first time, and that he tried to access internet "while connected". So unless that call actually went out only as 3G, I would think his "connected" call was VoLTE, leaving the issue of Internet inaccessibility during that call as the only remaining problem (such as it is). I think RandySea will need to clarify what occurred or re-test if unsure himself.
    Sorry, Kevi, this is definitely confusing. What I found for the first time on my SE using that other SIM was that under "Voice & Data," I could check the "LTE, VoLTE On" setting for the first time. Then I made a call. I can't actually tell if the call went out as VoLTE or 3G or what. All I know is that when the call was connected, I could not access the internet.

Feedback Score
    Randy, is there still a way to monitor a call's status like you did when you were calling with the earlier SIM? You had mentioned:
    "LTE was showing when I dialed, but it disappeared when I connected."
    Wherever it was that you saw that call drop its LTE designation, would be valuable to watch now on calls you make with the new SIM and the new Cellular Settings options that it puts in your phone. If the call stays LTE, then any failure to browse Internet at the same time does indicate a problem, but it would appear to be limited to that aspect of VoLTE, if the call itself still went out as VoLTE. I also suggest taking up hpham's offer to exchange test calls to test that HD Voice works for you when calling somene who also has that feature for sure. An HD call will not be possible unless VoLTE is in effect. (It will not matter that his carrier is different, when it comes to HD-Voice working.)

There's a lot of valuable exchange in the thread (linked below, as well as in someone's earlier post) about an iPhone 6 with similar problems. It evolves to also discuss the iPhone SE:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Phone-6s-Volte

In that topic, hpham makes good suggestions about the value of wiping the slate completely clean of any baggage leftover from previous SIMs, IMEI's ...AND account settings at TFW. That was seconded (and summarized) by whacker's post in that same thread:
    "It seems logical to me that, if TF service, due to VZW's requirements, records the coupling of a SIM ICCID and a device IMEI, that when trying to shake loose some level of provisioning on an account to get a fresh run at it, having service switched entirely off the problem setup to a different one before going back to the desired device would ensure a more complete attempt. Just a hunch. No hanging chads."

So I think the efforts to reset ALL aspects of your iPhone SE and its service with TFW have not gone quite that far yet. The details of swapping, canceling, and then re-activating are elsewhere in that thread. Of course,wait until Miami tells you something new, and/or wait for the results of my own SE activation with Page Plus (to be done about a week from now.). The good thing is that the deadline for changeover to VoLTE, as we all know now, was postponed from the original Dec 31, 2019 date to at least the summer of 2020, if not Dec 31, 2020 (depending on which carrier (and which rep of that carrier) you ask.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, loboheeler. I ordered the same LG refurbished from Tracfone for $15. If I were planning on using the phone, I'd have paid the $5 extra for a new one. All I want is the SIM to put in my iPhone SE. I'll give away the phone afterwards to a neighbor who has a phone too old to have VoLTE.
    on the LG phone, can you access the secret menu ?? dial *#*#4636#*#* a secret menu should show select phone information , scroll down a little and you should see some provisioning switches for VoLTE WI-FI calling etc.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    An HD call will not be possible unless VoLTE is in effect. (It will not matter that his carrier is different, when it comes to HD-Voice working.)
    Inter-carrier HD is not available yet, at least with Tracfone. My phone has VoLTE/HD on TF/Verizon, and my wife's phone has VoLTE/HD on TF/T-mobile. But when I call her phone, there's no HD service. It only shows HD when I call someone whose phone uses TF/Verizon (or postpaid Verizon).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If his iPhone on TF/Verizon couldn't access Data while the call is in progress, the call was not going through VoLTE. If RandySea wants to confirm that, he can arrange with me to do a test call.
    My head is spinning a bit with this. Are we talking about my reinstalling the new SIM from the LG into my iPhone then doing a test call? I really appreciate the offer but don't understand what this would tell us. I know that I cannot use data while making a call. Is it possible that VoLTE would be working even if I can't use data? If so, that would be useful info.

Feedback Score
    My head is spinning a bit with this. Are we talking about my reinstalling the new SIM from the LG into my iPhone then doing a test call? I really appreciate the offer but don't understand what this would tell us. I know that I cannot use data while making a call. Is it possible that VoLTE would be working even if I can't use data? If so, that would be useful info.
    [ I edited this post after first sending it with typos and pronoun errors that addressed the wrong person. ]

I would say 'yes' to both of your questions. The test call with hpham would primarily serve to insure that the other party on your call has the same capability, though we understand it may not work due to some cross-carrier technological barriers that have yet to be ironed out. It may even enable data during the call, but even if it doesn't, at least basic VoLTE will be verified, especially if you can observe that the LTE indicator no longer goes away. Of course, the best test call of all would be between your phone and another using TF/VZW (and with each of you in a good coverage area for the network you have in common).

hpham is right that I should modify my statement about HD-voice reliability between carriers. I should have said that all the carriers have been WORKING on achieving inter-carrier compatibility of their HD-Voice feature, with different levels of progress (and different levels of interest).

AT&T admits "Not all carriers have interoperability with AT&T HD Voice" while at the same time they have already got it going in many areas with Verizon. See these threads from almost two years ago:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...amp-T-Verizon)
    https://www.businessinsider.com/att-...-calls-2016-11

And some progress has been made with T-Mobile;
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...rier_hd_voice/

So, no, a failed HD-Voice test call between your TF/Vzw phone and his on TF/T-Mo would not necessarily let us conclude that your phone is incapable of HD-Voice/VoLTE, since it could just be due to a cross-carrier barrier. However, if HD-Voice does work on the call, it would mean your phone itself can do VoLTE and is not what's causing TFW to think it's incompatible. You can then also test for the ability to browse online while still connected with him, to be assured that even that aspect of the feature is working on the phone. The likelihood of success is still reduced by the fact that TFW may not have set up your service to be VoLTE yet, until they resolve the reported "incompatibility"

Note this comment from:
    https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...s-sound-better
    "...Even if AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon are all using AMR-WB, the carriers are linked 'over an old type of connection which downgrades the voice to narrowband quality.' Once the networks upgrade their interconnections, they'll be able to connect VoLTE (voice over LTE) calls to each other in HD quality. They've been promising that this will happen since late 2014."
    Last edited by kevi; 01-18-2020 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Typos, and apronouns ddressing the wrong person

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    on the LG phone, can you access the secret menu ?? dial *#*#4636#*#* a secret menu should show select phone information , scroll down a little and you should see some provisioning switches for VoLTE WI-FI calling etc.
    I don't get a secret menu. Just "your call cannot be completed as dialed."

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Is it possible that VoLTE would be working even if I can't use data?.
    No, not possible, although Kevi doesn't agree with that. We can eliminate this speculation by doing a test call. I've done test calls with at least 5 forum members. I have no bad intention of mis-using your phone number if that's why you're reluctant to do a test call.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Of course, the best test call of all would be between your phone and another using TF/VZW (and with each of you in a good coverage area for the network you have in common).

So, no, a failed HD-Voice test call between your TF/Vzw phone and his on TF/T-Mo...
    The phone that I've been using for test calls with forum members is Moto E5 using TF/Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    No, not possible, although Kevi doesn't agree with that. We can eliminate this speculation by doing a test call. I've done test calls with at least 5 forum members. I have no bad intention of mis-using your phone number if that's why you're reluctant to do a test call.
    I have no reluctance to do a test call. I just don't want to bother you if it's only to confirm what we already know. But I'll email you my phone number privately. Then I will have to switch SIM cards when you give me an idea of a time. I should be around for a couple of hours, and then back late afternoon. I'm on Pacific time.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast