Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VoLTE with iPhone SE not working on TFW/Verizon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RandySea View Post
    Thanks for your comments, Tersanyus. You are right that I do not want to hear about full resets. Been there, done that, too many times.

Having said that, two things in your post stand out. First, going back a ways here and on SmartPhoneMatters.com are a long series of posts from me regarding resetting the iPhone. In that era, the problem was the TFW was inserting a hidden APM that could not be deleted without a full reset.

The phone worked fine in the US so most people would never even have know there was a problem. The reason it was a problem is that it prevented the phone from getting data when using a foreign SIM card. It did still allow regular phone use in the foreign country. So it was hard to debug, too.

I did come up with an alternate solution that is too complicated and unnecessary for this discussion. I also found out that the hidden APM was SIM related. By replacing my old TFW SIM with a mid-2018 one, the problem disappeared.

The second point of your post that I quoted is that you have Verizon VoLTE working on your SE, as do others. This suggests to me that Tracfone should have a way to get it working on my SE as well. Could be a new SIM, could be something in my account, or maybe the phone does need a new APN setting to work VoLTE. I don't know.

The account possibility comes from a similar experience I had with "free international dialing" not working. It took me a year to get someone at TFW to say "Oh, we just need to reset something in your account. " Many others reported the same problem but never got to anyone at TFW who understood the problem or admitted that it needed to be fixed at their end. In fact, most TFW support people denied that free international dialing even existed, though it was heavily promoted on the TFW website.

Before I try a reset, I will try a few more times to get the issue escalated at TFW.
    does your iPhone SE stay on LTE while on a call or does it drop down
    to something else ?? see this here - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203124

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    I would think that all you need to do is have a new SIM card activated, and make sure that you give the rep the IMEI of the phone you want. I think the trick is to have the 2 things properly associated (IMEI and new SIM ICCID).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    does your iPhone SE stay on LTE while on a call or does it drop down
    to something else ?? see this here - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203124
    Interesting. I did just try this. LTE was showing when I dialed, but it disappeared when I connected.

I guess this is consistent with the point that I don't have VoLTE working. What the article says is
    If your carrier supports VoLTE

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options and tap Enable LTE or Settings > Mobile Data and tap Enable LTE. If your carrier supports Voice over LTE (VoLTE), you'll see these options:

Off: Turns off LTE
    Voice & Data: Allows voice calls and cellular-data use over LTE
    Data Only: Allows cellular-data use, but not voice calls over LTE

Since I am seeing the "Voice & Data" option, this does suggest that my TFW/Verizon connection supports VoLTE. Otherwise, my iPhone would not show the Voice & Data option. The fact that LTE disappears when I make a call suggests that LTE is not being used for the call. But the article doesn't mention this combination of events.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Another thought, it could be that your provider doesn't have the VOLTE feature enabled in the billing system. You should ask customer service to confirm that it is active. I hope that helps.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I would think that all you need to do is have a new SIM card activated, and make sure that you give the rep the IMEI of the phone you want. I think the trick is to have the 2 things properly associated (IMEI and new SIM ICCID).
    Just to be clear: You are suggesting I get a new SIM card and ask TFW to activate it? The last time I did this, I had to tell TFW that my old SIM card had gotten damaged before they would let me activate a new one in my same phone. I could do that again, since telling a TFW person the truth would just confuse them. By the truth, I mean that I got a new SIM card to see if that would solve the problem of VoLTE not working.

Incidentally, I did post this issue on the official Tracfone site. Usually, there is an automated (or semi-automated) reply almost immediately saying: "Hi. This is Tracfone Dumbo. I have sent you a private message." Then you look at the message. It is never substantive. It just says to try Chat or to call customer service. Either way, you just get another clueless support person.

So far, after two days, no reply at all to my post.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Another thought, it could be that your provider doesn't have the VOLTE feature enabled in the billing system. You should ask customer service to confirm that it is active. I hope that helps.
    Interesting approach. Avoid the tech non-support, first line people and ask for an account billing check.

I will try that. Then maybe I'll try getting a new SIM card.

Feedback Score
    Latest update:

1+ hour on the phone with TFW, starting with their dealer support phone #. The first person didn't know what VoLTE was. Next level - floor manager. Then supervisor. This supervisor supposedly checked with his supervisor and "corporate".

Same story at those levels: First they said it was my SIM card was older, so they'd send a new one. But in trying to set up the SIM delivery, they said my SIM card was activated for VoLTE so it must be that my phone was incompatible with VoLTE.

Eventually, and leaving out more boring details, I got connected to someone at "corporate". Went through all of the above, but he said he'd authorize a new SIM card to try. I should have it next week. I'll report back.

Meanwhile, getting back to Tersanyus's suggestion about doing a full reset and not restoring from backup: I realized that I can just try this without losing everything. I do a hard reset and set up as a new phone. If VoLTE works, then I start examining some of the internals that can be done with special software. If VoLTE does not work, I wait for the new SIM card. Either way, I can restore from backup just be be at the status quo today.

Feedback Score
    Tersanyus, I just did a hard reset and set up my phone as new. Still no Voice over LTE. So it's not something in my hidden iPhone settings. I also checked the settings using iBackupBot and found no hidden profiles. Guess all I can do now is wait for the new SIM.

Meanwhile, after the above, I did a restore from backup so at least I am happily back to status quo.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do you see any of these settings on your iPhone

Name:  IMG_0413.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0412.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  52.1 KB

Feedback Score
    The first screen shows
    Voice & Data LTE, VoLTE Off

The second screen shows

Name:  Screenshot 2020-01-11 at 8.07.33 AM.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  19.1 KB

If I click on LTE, VoLTE On, all I get is a message "Cannot Activate LTE Calls . . . contact TFW"

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here's what I did after multiple chat sessions with TF and trying replacement sims for my 6 and 7 iphones.

Bought 2 cheap ($20+) TF CDMA VoLte burner phones with nano sims had my service transferred to them then pulled the active sims out and installed them into my iphones throw the burners in a draw somewhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    Here's what I did after multiple chat sessions with TF and trying replacement sims for my 6 and 7 iphones.

Bought 2 cheap ($20+) TF CDMA VoLte burner phones with nano sims had my service transferred to them then pulled the active sims out and installed them into my iphones throw the burners in a draw somewhere.
    Very interesting and creative idea. I guess the implication of your post is that it worked.

When you moved the burner phone SIMs to your iPhones, did you have to reactivate them on the iPhones or did they just work straight off?

Well, I'll try the replacement SIM first, then go your route if I need to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    I looked at the TF offers. Found a reconditioned LG Rebel 4 (L212VL) for $15. I asked via Chat whether it was VoLTE compatible and if it used a Nano or Micro SIM. The Chat person was clueless. He said that Verizon wouldn't be changing from CDMA and never replied to my question of what kind of SIM card. I just closed it out.

What phones did you find with Nano SIM and VoLTE for $20?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Very interesting and creative idea. I guess the implication of your post is that it worked.

I learned all my sim swapping from this site.

When you moved the burner phone SIMs to your iPhones, did you have to reactivate them on the iPhones or did they just work straight off?

I did have to install the correct APN verizon.net
    In the early TF days this was the way to go.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score

What phones did you find with Nano SIM and VoLTE for $20?
    https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tr...l-tcllx-a502dl

Got mine at Walmart

Name:  IMG_0517.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  70.7 KB

After you hang out here you will find most TF CS are pretty incompetent

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast