Thread: Back up

Feedback Score

Back up

There may be a better forum but I'll start here.
    I was pretty much ignoring how/if my phone is getting backed up. But just incase I have issues and ever have to do factory reset I don't want the hassle of getting just some of my basic info. Mainly apps and settings and contacts. Any personal data files are on my computer anyway. Using a Moto E4 running OS 7.
    I looked up how too's and videos online but some of the screens shown in the process I don't see. Specially where you can toggle the different things you want backed up. I go into settings>Account> my google account and it only shows: Calender, Contacts, Drive, Gmail and Google Fit. Doesn't show APP's or Settings. Doesn't show any toggle on/off for any thing. Just a "Tap to Sync" and last sync date. Contacts just shows the circle arrows.
    Under Settings> Backup&reset, it's on with my google account.

What else do I need turned on somewhere?
    Why don't I see Apps and settings?
    Don't see anywhere with on/off toggles for selecting things?
    Can I set over wifi only somewhere?
    Can I chose to backup when I want and not auto?

We'll start with that. Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Using a Moto E4 running OS 7. I go into settings>Account> my google account and it only shows: Calender, Contacts, Drive, Gmail and Google Fit. Doesn't show APP's or Settings.

Why don't I see Apps and settings?
    I don't know if it's phone-dependent or Google-version-dependent. On my LG Q6 running Android 7, the Google Backup function backups apps' data/settings.

My LG Q6 also has an LG Backup function to backup to internal memory or a microSD card.

Name:  LG-Q6-Google-Backup-1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  LG-Q6-Google-Backup-2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  35.6 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't know if it's phone-dependent or Google-version-dependent. On my LG Q6 running Android 7, the Google Backup function backups apps' data/settings.

My LG Q6 also has an LG Backup function to backup to internal memory or a microSD card.

Name:  LG-Q6-Google-Backup-1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  LG-Q6-Google-Backup-2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  35.6 KB
    On the Back up screen I have it turned on. But on the the google Account screen in settings it doesn't show apps data/settings or any specific item toggle on/off like any "how too's" I've looked at. That's where I'm lost.

Also on the how too's it shows the network reset along with the factory reset like yours does, but on mine there is no network reset (not that I need that).

Feedback Score
    On the Back up screen I have it turned on. But on the the google Account screen in settings it doesn't show apps data/settings or any specific item toggle on/off like any "how too's" I've looked at. That's where I'm lost.

Also on the how too's it shows the network reset along with the factory reset like yours does, but on mine there is no network reset (not that I need that).
    Problem is the menus change with every OS version, and are also customized by some of the manufacturers. There was a real big change in Android 8 that took me a lot of hunting to figure out. The Google account seems stable, and will only show backup sync with the default Google apps.

This is what my Moto G5+ shows in Backup. Factory data reset is in another place.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200108-143558.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  23.6 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20200108-141116.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  20.8 KB

Feedback Score
    I think some of my confusion is the difference (if there is one), between back up and sync. If I turn SYNC on in my google account tab, the on/off toggles for various things shows up. But doing some reading it seems SYNC is just to sync between devices and not the standard backup process (?)

Also I see in my readings that for app data/settings and contacts I need things in Google Drive setup to allow backup too (?)

Even though it appears in addition to other things, Contacts was sync'd or backed up but there are no contacts in my Google Contacts online.
    Maybe to get them there that's a different process and with simple backup you can't see anything in your online account. Backed up items are just floating around somewhere in the heavenly cloud (?)

Feedback Score
    I think some of my confusion is the difference (if there is one), between back up and sync. If I turn SYNC on in my google account tab, the on/off toggles for various things shows up. But doing some reading it seems SYNC is just to sync between devices and not the standard backup process (?)

Also I see in my readings that for app data/settings and contacts I need things in Google Drive setup to allow backup too (?)

Even though it appears in addition to other things, Contacts was sync'd or backed up but there are no contacts in my Google Contacts online.
    Maybe to get them there that's a different process and with simple backup you can't see anything in your online account. Backed up items are just floating around somewhere in the heavenly cloud (?)
    Yes, there is a difference between sync and backup. Sync, as you said, syncs whatever you have set with your device(s) and your google account. If you have Contacts set to sync (in the google settings under Settings) it should be updating the contacts in your google account. Unless sync is turned off, they should be there.

Backup, on the other hand, backs up various things like app data, and settings to your GDrive. If you run Google Drive and use the Menu (3 horizontal bars in upper left) you should see an option for Backups. If you choose it, you can see most of what is backed up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Yes, there is a difference between sync and backup. Sync, as you said, syncs whatever you have set with your device(s) and your google account. If you have Contacts set to sync (in the google settings under Settings) it should be updating the contacts in your google account. Unless sync is turned off, they should be there.

Backup, on the other hand, backs up various things like app data, and settings to your GDrive. If you run Google Drive and use the Menu (3 horizontal bars in upper left) you should see an option for Backups. If you choose it, you can see most of what is backed up.
    Ok, I think understanding some things better. Using contacts as an example; If sync is turned off, will the contacts still update in my google account via backup ?

Also I read that if I delete contacts on my google online account it will delete them from my phone too if I sync my phone. Is that right?
    How about if I keep sync off; will it still delete them from my phone when it does backup?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Ok, I think understanding some things better. Using contacts as an example; If sync is turned off, will the contacts still update in my google account via backup ?

Also I read that if I delete contacts on my google online account it will delete them from my phone too if I sync my phone. Is that right?
    How about if I keep sync off; will it still delete them from my phone when it does backup?

Thanks
    I do not believe contacts are part of Backup. It has been awhile since I have messed with contacts in the online account but I believe a deletion or addition should get synced to your various devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    I do not believe contacts are part of Backup. It has been awhile since I have messed with contacts in the online account but I believe a deletion or addition should get synced to your various devices.
    Reading and watching (youtube) things, even on Google support the topic is choppy and full of holes. Wonder how many people have it on but if they need to use it they may be surprised.
    Even When you turn on Back-ups it infers Contacts too, but no article or setting says anything about how GDrive plays into it. Since back-up backs up GDrive I assume one of the native apps it backs up is the CONTACTs app along with it's data (ie contacts). I don't know.
    The only place you can select any more specific item is in your Account for SYNC. And from what I gather Sync and Backup are 2 different animals.
    Right now my main question is does Back-up alone, not through Sync, change contacts in my online Google Contacts?
    Or just have the data out in the cloud somewhere if at all.
    I don't want a change I make in my Google account contacts or phone contacts to interact with each other.
    Just want my "phones" app data/settings and contacts in a backup. Maybe I just need to periodically export my contacts to an SD.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Here's my understanding of backup vs Sync, using the Contact list on my two phones (LG Q6 and LG Phoenix) as an example.

* Backup: a backup is a verbatim copy of a file, and Google keeps track of them by devices, a backup of the Q6's contact list might not be the same as a backup of the Phoenix's contact list if you had made changes on each device. When you do a setup on a new phone, Google will list all the devices that it has backups of, and asks which one you want to restore from if you like.
    * Sync: is the procedure to keep the content (contact list, calendar, etc) the same on all of your devices, with the copy stored on Google site as the master copy. Let's say 5 days ago the contact lists on both of my phones and Google site have an entry for each letter in the alphabet. I only sync my contact list when Wifi is turned On on a phone.
    - At 7AM, I deleted entry A on my Q6 contact list. When I turn on Wifi and sync, the master copy on Google also will have the entry A deleted. Then I turn off Wifi. The Phoenix contact list remains unchanged.
    - At 8AM, I added entry BB to my Phoenix list, then turn on Wifi and sync. Now the master copy has BB, and B through Z. The Entry A on the Phoenix is now deleted. The Q6 contact list has B through Z, but no BB.
    - At 9AM, I turn on Wifi on the Q6. Entry BB will be added to its contact list, and now the contact list on both phones and Google site are the same.

If all your devices are not online at the same time, the content on some of them will be different from the master copy at a given time.

I don't want a change I make in my Google account contacts or phone contacts to interact with each other.
    In that case, don't sync your contact list, or use the setting on your phone to store the contact list ON THE PHONE, and not on your Google account.
    Last edited by hpham; 01-09-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Here's my understanding of backup vs Sync, using the Contact list on my two phones (LG Q6 and LG Phoenix) as an example.......................................
    Very good explanation. That's the conclusion I was starting to come too. Thanks!

I just need to find the setting to have my contact list stored on the phone and not on my Google account, and I'll also keep sync turned off. Plus I'll export the contatcs to an SD or my computer incase the phone blows up or I do a factory reset.

Do you know if Contacts is part of the "Backup" ? And if it is, based on what you said, and as a confirmation, that backup won't do any interface with my Google Acct ?

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I just need to find the setting to have my contact list stored on the phone and not on my Google account, and I'll also keep sync turned off. Plus I'll export the contacts to an SD or my computer incase the phone blows up or I do a factory reset.

Do you know if Contacts is part of the "Backup" ? And if it is, based on what you said, and as a confirmation, that backup won't do any interface with my Google Acct ?
    On my LG phones, you access the settings for Contact list by bringing up the contact list then touch the 3 dots in the upper-right corner. There are options for Manage Contacts, Display Contacts, etc.

You can use the Copy function to copy from your Google acct to the phone, or copy from the phone to Google to make a backup, you can also copy to/from the phone's memory or the SD card. I don't think the Contact List is part of Google's backup function.

The Display function selects which source of contacts that you want to display on the phone.

When you create a contact, there should be an option to add it to the phone instead of your Google account.

Name:  LG-Q6-Contact-Settings-1a.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  19.1 KB

Name:  LG-Q6-Contact-Settings-2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  LG-Q6-Contact-Settings-3a.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  25.3 KB

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the good info. Not that I'll ever mess with sync again; but from the explanations and examples it would likely validate what I read, that if you even delete contacts in your Google account, next time you sync you'll delete the contacts on your phone.