Thread: Signal issues, what devices are suggested?

Feedback Score

Signal issues, what devices are suggested?

I do not get very good signal at my house. At first I was going to get a network extender, but keep hearing that they are not compatible with Verizon pre-paid. Is that correct? If so, what cell phone repeater/outdoor antenna is worth buying that may help me? Further, what phones are known to have the best signal?

TIA!

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    What phone do you have now? Are you having issues with both data & voice. Do you get a good signal outside the house?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    What phone do you have now? Are you having issues with both data & voice. Do you get a good signal outside the house?
    I currently have a Moto g7 Play. Data generally is very sorry (if working at all) but texts are okay. As for phone calls, the problem I have is simply receiving and making them, especially inside the house. Once the call is connected, it sounds great. My wife has a Samsung A20 which is a little better. My main problem is missing calls sometimes due to weak signal strength. If say it's 50/50.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately the Moto 6 & 7 series don't have the killer radios of previous Motorola phones.

You could get a WeBoost signal booster, but they start at $400.00 & require a bit of work to install for best results.

Someone here on HoFo recently purchased a Google Pixel 3 or 3A & says it has stellar reception compared to every phone they have ever had. Not sure who it was, but it was within the last week or 2.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Also, do you have VoLTE, Advanced Calling activated on your phone? You can tell by making a call with Wi-Fi turned off & then watch to see if the LTE indicator stays on when on a call.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bhoup View Post
    I do not get very good signal at my house. At first I was going to get a network extender, but keep hearing that they are not compatible with Verizon pre-paid. Is that correct? If so, what cell phone repeater/outdoor antenna is worth buying that may help me? Further, what phones are known to have the best signal?

TIA!
    What signal level do you get outdoors (in dBm). You need to have at least a weak signal outdoors for a cellphone booster to work. The amplifier can't amplify nothing. -115 dBm should be enough, maybe -120.

Good cellphone boosters require that you get the antenna outdoors and wire it to the indoor unit at least ~40 feet away to prevent feedback. If you can't do the wiring yourself, an electrician is going to cost $$$.

Check your signal at all of the windows in the house - right at the window. Just a couple of feet inside the house can make a big difference.

If you get ok signal at a window, you could try a cordless phone system with Link2Cell. You leave the phone powered at a window with ok cell signal and it links to the cordless system with Bluetooth. Panasonic makes them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Also, do you have VoLTE, Advanced Calling activated on your phone? You can tell by making a call with Wi-Fi turned off & then watch to see if the LTE indicator stays on when on a call.
    Yes, it looks like I do have VoLTE. What about the Moto x4 or G5S Plus? Would they be any better?
    Last edited by bhoup; 01-08-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it looks like I do have VoLTE. What about the Moto x4 or G5S Plus? Would they be any better?
    Unfortunately not familiar with the RF performance of those 2 models. I do have the E4 Plus & it works well with weaker signals. It's not the best phone to recommend since in only has 16 GB storage & only runs Android 7. OTOH it works well for my needs & the battery life is stellar.

Feedback Score
    Anyone else have experience with the x4 or g5s plus?

Feedback Score
    Anyone else have experience with the x4 or g5s plus?
    i have the G5s plus factory unlocked. MODEL:1806
    has the turbo battery charging system and a 3000 mAh all day battery, 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass display
    5.5" Full HD 1080p display, 2.0 Ghz Octa-core chip, Dual 13MP rear Cameras,
    currently updated to Android 8.1.0