Thread: Verizon anticipates indoor 5G without Wi-Fi

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Well, Verizon can anticipate it if they want. Carriers advertised a vision of no wifi needed due to 4G too. No thanks, I don't need to pay a $20-35 fee for each computer I have, thanks
    This

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I can only see 5G replacing Wi-Fi if carriers eliminate line access fees somehow. Maybe charge per person instead? Each person’s “profile” gets one phone, one tablet, one laptop, one desktop, and uh... up to ten miscellaneous devices? (Watches, TVs, etc)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    5G plans would be unlimited. So there is no "paying for data"
    Unlimited like my current unlimited plan ? I supposedly get 15GB but if I go over that they supposedly will slow down the data, well the highest I have ever gone is 13gb but for the past 2 months they have slowed my data way down on the last day of my month.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    Unlimited like my current unlimited plan ? I supposedly get 15GB but if I go over that they supposedly will slow down the data, well the highest I have ever gone is 13gb but for the past 2 months they have slowed my data way down on the last day of my month.
    The data is still unlimited, speeds are only slowed down after you reach a certain threshold of data. Data speeds are not guaranteed. Is it fair that a small percentage of users to exceed a certain amount of data and slow down everyone else's access ?

You are not going to get any sympathy with your attitude. Life isn't fair, you learn to adapt to your circumstances.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    5G plans are in fact unlimited with no restrictions what so ever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Well, Verizon can anticipate it if they want. Carriers advertised a vision of no wifi needed due to 4G too. No thanks, I don't need to pay a $20-35 fee for each computer I have, thanks. .
    Why would you have to pay a fee for each device? You make no sense

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    5G plans are in fact unlimited with no restrictions what so ever.
    Thanks for explaining that, I had no idea it would actually be unlimited.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Why would they ever limit 5G data usage? Massive MIMO and beamforming mean that users either get the entire mmWave license all to themselves, or they only have to share with whichever few users are physically proximal to them. 5G mmWave has a functionally limitless airlink.

The only real restrictions will be backhaul and range.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for explaining that, I had no idea it would actually be unlimited.
    Perhaps reading a FAQ or actually going to the plans page before ranting first.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Why would they ever limit 5G data usage? Massive MIMO and beamforming mean that users either get the entire mmWave license all to themselves, or they only have to share with whichever few users are physically proximal to them. 5G mmWave has a functionally limitless airlink.

The only real restrictions will be backhaul and range.
    I don't think some people get that all of Verizon's current non 5G spectrum combined at best is maybe 60-70 MHz for downlink, whereas just in 28 GHz is at least 425 MHz and up to 850 MHz in many areas. And they'll have just as much 39 GHz or more when it's all said and done. So even if the mmwave spectrum had the same spectral efficiency as 4G that's 7X-14X the bandwidth. And 5G mmwave is about 50% more efficient so basically 10X-20X equivalent. Not to mention as you said, the typical 5G "tower" serves far fewer devices as a regular cell tower. You basically have at least 800-1000 devices all watching 4K Netflix( 15 Mbps ) per 5G small cell at the same time. And that's never going to happen and that's assuming only about 400 MHz of 28 GHz band being used.

And then you add in sub 6 GHz spectrum like C-Band which Verizon will probably have over 100 MHz of that. And they could end up with 40 MHz of CBRS. So even on sub 6 GHz Verizon would essentially have double the spectrum on 5G that they do on 4G with sub 6 GHz being at least 30% more spectrally efficient

Feedback Score
    Access of a Business internal network from cell provider network needs VPN at both ends.
    On WiFi it needs nothing but normal encryption.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Verizon anticipates indoor 5G without Wi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    The data is still unlimited, speeds are only slowed down after you reach a certain threshold of data. Data speeds are not guaranteed. Is it fair that a small percentage of users to exceed a certain amount of data and slow down everyone else's access ?

You are not going to get any sympathy with your attitude. Life isn't fair, you learn to adapt to your circumstances.
    It sounds like he’s saying his speeds are slowed down before hitting the threshold of the service tier he is paying for.

Wanting to get what you pay for shouldn’t be something we mock with cynicism. Unless of course, we’re a Verizon shareholder...

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    More about the ability of 5G mmWave to penetrate indoors via outdoor nodes:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ija...8/#conclusions
    It can be seen that the signals at 28 GHz propagate into the room and corridors mainly through the windows and doors. The path loss is smaller than the threshold of 140 dB and thus the outer rooms can be covered. But the path loss is too high to cover the inner part of the building (>140 dB). The average path loss at 4.9 and 28 GHz is larger by 12 and 35 dB, respectively, than that at 3.5 GHz. The sub-6G signals can penetrate the concrete wall much better and ensure good coverage for the whole building. The difference between the path loss at 3.5 and 4.9 GHz is consistently 12 dB. Based on the comparison, we can conclude that the mmWave band can meet the coverage requirement for outer rooms with exterior windows. The direct LOS cluster can provide required received power for the areas close to windows, but the reflection of mmWave signals by walls is more significant and ensures the coverage over the whole room.
    Verizon is already seeing 5G mmWave range of about 3,000 feet, which is equivalent to about 1 square mile per cell:

It’s looking like 5G mmWave is gonna cover pretty much everyone except people deep inside buildings that don’t have iDAS and people who are far away from the nearest cell (mainly in rural areas and NIMBY suburban areas).

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Wi-Fi is seeing explosive growth. There are a lot of applications for the user to have their own LAN. Wi-Fi is not going anywhere. It's possible a manged 5G solution could replace Wi-Fi in some large, physically spread out enterprises like factories or refineries or processing plants or something, but not for offices and homes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    It sounds like he’s saying his speeds are slowed down before hitting the threshold of the service tier he is paying for.

Wanting to get what you pay for shouldn’t be something we mock with cynicism. Unless of course, we’re a Verizon shareholder...

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Clonehappy You are correct and Thanks for sticking up for me . I live in a very rural area but I suppose it’s still possible that for some reason there happens to be lots of folks overloading the system on the last day of my month. The 4th is the last day of my month and my usage has been extremely low this month so it’s going to be interesting to see if I’m slowed down on the last day again this month, if it is I will be calling Verizon tech support to hear what they have to say about it.
    There was an article in the local newspaper this week saying the county is looking into putting up a few more cell towers to cover the county better, they already own a few towers and claim it has been very profitable. The Verizon signal at my house comes from a tower a little over 3 miles away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast