Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile-YouTube web browser throttling of high bandwidth VEVO videos for some users

Feedback Score

T-Mobile-YouTube web browser throttling of high bandwidth VEVO videos for some users

Hello,

Can I get some of the T-Mobile customers with Android phones to do the test below? (no iPhones - there are Safari issues (i.e. 360p etc))

Whether I do the test steps on my own Android Moto Z2 Play on my Simply Prepaid 10GB 4G LTE plan with Data Maximizer OFF (or USB tethered/hotspot desktop computer), or travel to multiple T-Mobile stores in the Philadelphia area and test the in store display models (Levittown/Langhorne, King of Prussia Mall, Springfield Mall) or even have the employees themselves at those stores test this out on their own personal postpaid Android phones everyone is getting stuttering showing in step 8 below here in the Philadelphia area.

In addition, my other phone number is AT&T Prepaid 8GB and I tested with my same Moto Z2 Play cell phone at home with Wi-Fi OFF and Stream Saver OFF and there is no stuttering in step 8 so it doesn't seem to affect AT&T customers in this area.

I am trying first to isolate if the issue is metro related -- on my reddit post some Android T-Mobile customers nationwide report it happens for them while others do not.

This happens for high bandwidth VEVO music videos where somehow the video stream is being bit starved at 1.5 mbps which causes stuttering - if you use at home connection (i.e. Verizon FIOS, Comcast Xfinity) it does not happen and the Stats for Nerds connection speed is high (i.e. 25 mbps)

Can some of the T-Mobile customers that have plans that allow HD video to test by following EXACTLY the below steps?

Reply back the area of the country you live in (can list state or region only if you want for privacy), the plan you are on, the Android model phone you are using (please no Apple iPhone users), and state whether is stutters or not in the web browser in step 8 and verify the YouTube app itself in step 14 plays OK.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Testing Steps

1. Verify first that Wi-Fi is OFF on your cell phone - if not turn it off so the top of the screen shows LTE and the cell signal with no Wi-Fi connection.
    2. Log into My T-Mobile and if there are video optimizations available (Data Maximizer, Binge On, etc) make sure they are OFF and HD is enabled.
    3. Open the web browser on your phone -- Google Chrome or Samsung browser.
    4. Type in web address for YouTube (howardforums is not allowing me to type the web address since I am a new poster)
    5. Search for Karmin Hello - the first result should have this at the end of the URL: 0_I0DBUA_GI
    6. Play the video (ads may play first).
    7. As soon as the video starts click the wheel icon (settings) and change quality to 1080p and click "Stats for Nerds" and click OK.
    8. The video will either play fine or the video will stutter and freeze throughout.
    9. If the video plays fine the Stats for Nerds Connection Speed should be high.
    10. If the video stutters the Stats for Nerds Connection Speed should be near 1500 kbps showing the video is being starved for bandwidth.
    11. Close web browser.
    12. Open YouTube app on phone.
    13. Search for same exact video.
    14. Play it at 1080p - the video should not stutter at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgarnett3 View Post
    Hello,

Can I get some of the T-Mobile customers with Android phones to do the test below? (no iPhones - there are Safari issues (i.e. 360p etc))

Whether I do the test steps on my own Android Moto Z2 Play on my Simply Prepaid 10GB 4G LTE plan with Data Maximizer OFF (or USB tethered/hotspot desktop computer), or travel to multiple T-Mobile stores in the Philadelphia area and test the in store display models (Levittown/Langhorne, King of Prussia Mall, Springfield Mall) or even have the employees themselves at those stores test this out on their own personal postpaid Android phones everyone is getting stuttering showing in step 8 below here in the Philadelphia area.

In addition, my other phone number is AT&T Prepaid 8GB and I tested with my same Moto Z2 Play cell phone at home with Wi-Fi OFF and Stream Saver OFF and there is no stuttering in step 8 so it doesn't seem to affect AT&T customers in this area.

I am trying first to isolate if the issue is metro related -- on my reddit post some Android T-Mobile customers nationwide report it happens for them while others do not.

This happens for high bandwidth VEVO music videos where somehow the video stream is being bit starved at 1.5 mbps which causes stuttering - if you use at home connection (i.e. Verizon FIOS, Comcast Xfinity) it does not happen and the Stats for Nerds connection speed is high (i.e. 25 mbps)

Can some of the T-Mobile customers that have plans that allow HD video to test by following EXACTLY the below steps?

Reply back the area of the country you live in (can list state or region only if you want for privacy), the plan you are on, the Android model phone you are using (please no Apple iPhone users), and state whether is stutters or not in the web browser in step 8 and verify the YouTube app itself in step 14 plays OK.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Testing Steps

1. Verify first that Wi-Fi is OFF on your cell phone - if not turn it off so the top of the screen shows LTE and the cell signal with no Wi-Fi connection.
    2. Log into My T-Mobile and if there are video optimizations available (Data Maximizer, Binge On, etc) make sure they are OFF and HD is enabled.
    3. Open the web browser on your phone -- Google Chrome or Samsung browser.
    4. Type in web address for YouTube (howardforums is not allowing me to type the web address since I am a new poster)
    5. Search for Karmin Hello - the first result should have this at the end of the URL: 0_I0DBUA_GI
    6. Play the video (ads may play first).
    7. As soon as the video starts click the wheel icon (settings) and change quality to 1080p and click "Stats for Nerds" and click OK.
    8. The video will either play fine or the video will stutter and freeze throughout.
    9. If the video plays fine the Stats for Nerds Connection Speed should be high.
    10. If the video stutters the Stats for Nerds Connection Speed should be near 1500 kbps showing the video is being starved for bandwidth.
    11. Close web browser.
    12. Open YouTube app on phone.
    13. Search for same exact video.
    14. Play it at 1080p - the video should not stutter at all.
    video optimizations are fake.
    They have no way to do optimizations under encryption.
    The YouTube web/app are TLS encrypted, they only can do is to throttle the traffic come from YouTube.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    you tube does a lot of throttling. I have seen this on a roku connected to wired internet.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score

Vevo switched to youtube [very low Q audio]

Vevo used to have its own app on smart phones, roku etc. Now they use youtube for streaming.

I remember a time when vevo had better audio and SUDDENLY the audio Q crashed through the floor. It seems youtube uses a 192 kbps (best streaming Q) for audio, regardless of video. So even if video streams at 1080p, audio streams at 192 kbps (separate streams for audio and video). If video Q is low (or connection poor), audio Q can be even worse, as low as 64 kbps.

I avoid VEVO now- completely worthless if you care about music. Listening to low resolution is as bad as watching 320 pixel picture. At least for me. I have a collection of CDs that I ripped to flacs and store them on phone SD card. Sounds much better.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I posted here adam because in the city-data forum one of the moderators here at howardforums recommended me to post over here.

Has any Android users here had a chance to test on their cell phone?

Feedback Score
    How about non-Youtube video?

I'm here in my house, during prime time, tethered to my phone. Speedtest on my Mac shows 36 down, 7 up.

I have a Plex server at my house, which is set up with symmetrical gigabit broadband. So, plenty fast.

T-Mobile was sucking the bits down absolutely as fast as the connection would allow it. I see between 20 and 30 Mb/s through T-Mo with my Plex server sending video.

I would say, there's no deep packet inspection going on at T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    How about non-Youtube video?

I'm here in my house, during prime time, tethered to my phone. Speedtest on my Mac shows 36 down, 7 up.

I have a Plex server at my house, which is set up with symmetrical gigabit broadband. So, plenty fast.

T-Mobile was sucking the bits down absolutely as fast as the connection would allow it. I see between 20 and 30 Mb/s through T-Mo with my Plex server sending video.

I would say, there's no deep packet inspection going on at T-Mobile.
    T-Mobile certainly inspects tethering packets...but they don't care your home Plex server

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I tested it out video played no problem, attached is a screenshot of Stats for Nerds info.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for following the steps and posting it works fine for you markdukeme!

Can I get just one howardforum T-Mobile Android customer who lives in the suburbs of Philadelphia (on the Pennsylvania side) to post their screenshots to this thread?

Here is my latest tests done right now on my cell phone - it still is happening.

Screenshot 1 is web browser on T-Mobile - stuttering
    Screenshot 2 is YouTube app on T-Mobile - no stuttering
    Screenshot 3 is web browser on AT&T - no stuttering
    Screenshot 4 is YouTube app on AT&T - no stuttering
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Feedback Score
    face it: even if the T-Mo infrastructure around you is broken, no one knows why and/or cares to spend the corporate energy and dollars looking into it. It won't get fixed because of you making noise. IF it gets "fixed," it'll simply be the result of natural progression of upgrades and equipment changes.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    face it: even if the T-Mo infrastructure around you is broken, no one knows why and/or cares to spend the corporate energy and dollars looking into it. It won't get fixed because of you making noise. IF it gets "fixed," it'll simply be the result of natural progression of upgrades and equipment changes.
    Tell me about it!

I went through the wringer on an issue with T-Mo last year, alerting them that incoming calls were failing on LTE phones that didn't support T-Mo VoLTE. (Something that only happens with non-T-Mobile sourced devices.) In those cases, the phone and the network are supposed to negotiate down to the next lower network, either 3G or 2G, if available. In my case, about 3 times out of 4, calls went straight to voicemail.

T-Mo was very nice about it- multiple support tickets were opened, small bill credits were issued occasionally for the inconvenience, I even got actual local techs to call me on two occasions to further explain the issue. This went on for about 4 or 5 months. Eventually T-Mo's official "resolution" was it was an issue they were aware of, it didn't effect enough people to expend further resources trying to fix, (and the only people it did effect were using unsupported devices, like me, so it wasn't T-Mo's responsibility in the first place!), so I could either live with it, or upgrade to a T-Mo VoLTE phone (which T-Mo even offered to "help" me acquire, presumably via a discount, though I declined. I already had several working T-Mo VoLTE-compatible Android phones, but was still weaning myself off my Windows Phone addiction at the time, and was stubbornly refusing to switch! My personal solution was to leave my phone in 3G mode, trading data speed for incoming call reliability.)

I had no problem with T-Mo's resolution- it's a network problem that continues to this day, but will "fix" itself when the very few people left with non-T-Mo VoLTE-compatible devices finally upgrade.

As to the OP of this thread, good luck with the fight, but you'll probably find yourself in my position eventually. Metro will tell you "sorry, you'll have to live with it" and tell you to just watch your YouTube videos on the "auto" setting. That's one of the problems with using MVNOs- Metro probably can't fix your problem even if they wanted to. They can only kick it up to T-Mo support who will fix it (or not) if/when they get around to it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I probably should've mentioned, I ran the test here in Denver, on T-Mo, Binge-On turned off, using Chrome. (I don't have the YouTube app installed on my device.)

Nerd stats showed 23000-25000kbps over the course of the video at 1080p. No visible stuttering, but I did drop 12 frames during the video according to the stats.

With Binge-On turned on, the video buffered constantly until I set it back to "auto" where it switched to 360 at 800-900 kbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I probably should've mentioned, I ran the test here in Denver, on T-Mo, Binge-On turned off, using Chrome. (I don't have the YouTube app installed on my device.)

Nerd stats showed 23000-25000kbps over the course of the video at 1080p. No visible stuttering, but I did drop 12 frames during the video according to the stats.

With Binge-On turned on, the video buffered constantly until I set it back to "auto" where it switched to 360 at 800-900 kbps.

"Binge-On" is still a thing nowadays ?
    I am on unlimited data tzone for over 13 years...

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    "Binge-On" is still a thing nowadays ?
    I am on unlimited data tzone for over 13 years...

Yeah, Binge-On is a thing even if your plan doesn't require it. I typically leave it on to minimize buffering (I don't need "1080p video on a 5" screen!)

I was on $4.99 T-Zones for a long time, but then moved to $5 PAU/Bridge to Value so we could use T-Mo branded Android Phones (T-Zones worked fine with iPhones and Windows Mobile/Windows Phones back in the day.)

Recently I upgraded to "Simple Choice North America Unlimited + 10GB SMH" (Smartphone Mobile Hotspot) to get International Data and tethering, which added about $20 to our 5-line family plan. Simple Choice lets me turn Binge-On off, but again, I typically leave it on. I'm not in a who's d**k is bigger contest to brag about how much unlimited data I can use in a month, so if I can use less without it impacting my enjoyment, why not give T-Mo a break and use less? Less congestion for everyone...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast