Thread: How Long Must You Be Off Metro?

Feedback Score

How Long Must You Be Off Metro?

I'm with Metro now, but looking to get a new phone. So, I'll go to another carrier and come back to Metro to get a free phone.

My question is, how long do I have to be off of Metro in order to come back and get a new phone?
    Get the best in Fitness Training with Fitness Professionals!
    www.TopFitnessStrategies.com

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T-Mobile, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    90 days, but technically maybe 91.
    Recently i returned to Metro after 3 months on Sprint, and was told at 91 days that if I had returned even one day sooner, I would not have been eligible for the new customer specials. They could see in the computer when I had ported out (but I do have a family account I am part of).

Sent from my VS988 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Do you know if switching to Tmoble would still be switching to a new carrier? Believe it or not, they have the best coverage at my house. Most others are none existent!

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T-Mobile, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    No, it will need to be a non- T-Mobile carrier. They check what service you are porting from, and there is no incentive for them to move you from one T-Mobile service to another.

Sent from my VS988 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Just call and see that question.
    Last edited by plane; 01-12-2020 at 10:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    WAIT! So, you're saying to just get a cheap number somewhere, without a phone. Then, port that number in to Metro and get the phone. Then, swap the phone number from your old phone to your new phone? (I would assume there would have to be some sort of sim card switch somewhere) That's it? Seems WAY too easy, what's the catch?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotex21 View Post
    WAIT! So, you're saying to just get a cheap number somewhere, without a phone. Then, port that number in to Metro and get the phone. Then, swap the phone number from your old phone to your new phone? (I would assume there would have to be some sort of sim card switch somewhere) That's it? Seems WAY too easy, what's the catch?
    you may be able to get away with that, but the dealer will get screwed and not receive the reimbursement

metro assumes in these situation the dealer is aware of what is about to happen and should be taking steps prevent it.

as far as the original questions. you are eligible for the promo if you had not ported in the number to metro within the 'last 90 days' but you should qualify without issue if you port out and than back in even the next day although some dealers may not quite understand the rules and as a safety measure(to be sure they get paid) not want to port you back in.

you would have to port away from the t-mobile network, there is also now an 'ID verification' process involved. it is not a credit check just a verification you can be found in databases and are who you say you are. my understanding is that is does not yet but will eventually be used to 'enforce limits' to prevent people from continually getting more free/discounted phones with the intent to resell