Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just got email about being forced to Boost

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Verge: Sprint is killing off Virgin Mobile USA.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/7/21...-february-2020

Sent from my F1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    My mom has a kyocera flip phone on the $20 400 minute plan.

She did not get a text yet.

So will they let her keep the same plan?

It sounds like there will be nothing changed for her situation.
    They send the notices in waves as they don't have the ability to send to all customers at the same time. The notice should arrive shortly. I can't answer your question about the plan itself.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I wonder if this affects California Lifeline customers who use Virgin Mobile through Assurance Wireless?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I would have to imagine it will impact them as well as Virgin Mobile is the backbone of that service. Based on the information in other threads, they will be migrated to Boost Mobile as best as I can determine. I don't know when or what might be involved. I did find a link to their site: https://www.assurancewireless.com/pa...xoC2VUQAvD_BwE

While there is no new information yet, this link to the government site for Lifeline may be useful: https://www.fcc.gov/general/lifeline...come-consumers

Feedback Score

Red face Tello Welcomes Virgin Customers

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Virgin and Boost are Sprint for now. There may be changes if the T-Mobile-Sprint merger goes through. The proposed disposition of Virgin and Boost is for them to be divested to Dish to operate as a MVNO of T-Mo, but probably on the Sprint network for some months to years.

Are there even Sprint VoLTE feature phones available? Sprint just started enabling VoLTE a few months ago and it is not on all of their network yet.

Tello seems like a good switch aside from losing the Virgin prepaid balance. They changed their terms of service a few months ago. Prepaid deposits now expire after 90 days, but I haven't seen them enforce that yet. I still have $3+ from my $5 deposit in 2017. It still worked when I tried it last week. The minimum deposit is now $20.

You can get a monthly plan with Tello for $5 mo. for 100 minutes, unlimited texts, no data. Unlimited talk and text, no data is $8/mo.

I have had Tello service for almost three years. They have been excellent. It just works (where Sprint works) no drama.
    Thanks for the mention - spot on!

Virgin customers in need of more flexible phone plans & PayPal Payment are welcomed at Tello! The good news is you don't have to buy a new SIM, since we run on the same mothership network - Sprint - and that our plan prices are super affordable:
    - 2GB + unlimited talk & text = $14/mo
    - 4GB + unlimited talk & text = $19/mo
    - unlimited everything plan = $39/mo

No contract. No extra fees.

More plan options here: https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans and more details about how to port your number from Virgin to Tello, here: https://blog.tello.com/news/port-you...bile-to-tello/. For anything else, remember our 24/7 Human Customer Support is always there.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    As of today, Virgin Mobile is no longer offering sales to new customers.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 5.27.15 PM.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  44.4 KB
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Virgin and Boost are Sprint for now. There may be changes if the T-Mobile-Sprint merger goes through. The proposed disposition of Virgin and Boost is for them to be divested to Dish to operate as a MVNO of T-Mo, but probably on the Sprint network for some months to years.
    Yep, there could be big changes depending on IF the T-M0/Sprint merger happens. There is a federal lawsuit that may be decided later this month. If the merger is denied, it will force Sprint to scale back their operations to keep afloat. They are a bankrupt company. If the merger is allowed, Boost will go to Dish which is a joke.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    It would be one thing if they owned the name, but they had to pay for the rights to the name all of this time. If they weren't going to push the brand of make it offer something that Boost won't offer, it doesn't make sense keeping it around. This is a move that is long overdue and allows the name to be potentially used by another company who will market it better than what Sprint did/didn't. I think the bigger question going forward is what will happen to the Boost customers and staff post merger? I haven't heard what Dish would do besides using a T-Mobile roaming agreement for the first few years until they build out their network. But if they go the Fi route of being online only, that would be an interesting way for them to save money and keep cost low while they build out.

Feedback Score

Minute2Minute

I am on a grandfathered Minute2Minute plan. I asked BoostMobile on facebook what plan I could expect to be on after migration and they said "Identical plans with the same exact features will be created". They said cash balance will transfer, but I asked what the minimum payment required to keep service active would be and they said the plans are still being written.

Hope this info helps somebody out there.

I carry an old flip phone as an emergency phone and I've been bumping up against the $400 limit for quite some time now. Probably going to use some to buy a couple phones to resell on ebay so I don't have such a large balance to bring over, depending on the answer I get to the pending question.

Feedback Score
    From what I read on Boost's website, you can NOT use your cash balance to buy phones. Someone please correct me if you find otherwise.

I just used most my cash VM balance to buy a phone, but the phone they sent this time isn't in retail packaging and it wasn't even sealed. The phone doesn't have VM printed anywhere on it but does seem to be locked. It came with a Sprint card installed and says it's locked to Sprint. Are VM phones normally like this?

Anyone know if Boost will allow a previously unused VM phone (still locked to VM) to be activated on Boost? I would think so but it would be nice to know for sure.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcm00re View Post
    From what I read on Boost's website, you can NOT use your cash balance to buy phones. Someone please correct me if you find otherwise.

I just used most my cash VM balance to buy a phone, but the phone they sent this time isn't in retail packaging and it wasn't even sealed. The phone doesn't have VM printed anywhere on it but does seem to be locked. It came with a Sprint card installed and says it's locked to Sprint. Are VM phones normally like this?

Anyone know if Boost will allow a previously unused VM phone (still locked to VM) to be activated on Boost? I would think so but it would be nice to know for sure.
    For at least the last four years, most, possibly all, Sprint, Virgin Mobile, and Boost Mobile phones have been sold without exterior branding on the phone. The packaging is labeled Sprint, Boost or Virgin, but not the phone itself. I don't know about all the SIMs, but my 2015 Boost Moto E2 came with a Sprint SIM.

Feedback Score

Matches what I found. I'm liking the part about using the balance to pay the minimum payments. Waiting to see what the catch will be. ....

"Yes, your Virgin Mobile account history will be transferred with the transfer of your account to Boost Mobile.
    "After your transfer to Boost Mobile is complete, you will be able to access your account and account history by visiting boostmobile.com/myaccount and login using the first 4 digits of your 6-digit VMU PIN.
    "Customers with existing account balances can apply funds toward service plan payments. They are not eligible to be used for device purchases. Device purchases require a major debit/credit card."

Feedback Score
    Update: I bought a phone (Moto g7) on Jan 24 using my balance. It came in plain packaging. After I fired it up (skipping the activation part, but I linked to wifi and gmail login) I noticed it has Boost software on it.

It came with a sim pin, which I have no idea what it's for.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone with a payLo plan actually migrated to Boost yet? If so how does the new plan there compare to your old VM plan?

Feedback Score
    Has anyone with a payLo plan actually migrated to Boost yet? If so how does the new plan there compare to your old VM plan?
    Still waiting too, but did pry this information out of a rep. (I have a minute2minute plan due on Feb 11. Guess I'll have to throw $10 at it. Hoping to use the balance for these payments in the future. Whatever these payments end up being.)

Hi there! The migration from Virgin Mobile to Boost Mobile started on February 6th and it can take until the end of March to be finished. You will receive a notification 2 to 5 days before your phone number is transitioned with all the information. Your Virgin Mobile phone should complete the transfer on your monthly payment date. -Ron S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast