Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Just got email about being forced to Boost

Feedback Score

Just got email about being forced to Boost

I still have a grandfathered Pay As You Go account (aka PayLo) where I make an $80 deposit for a year of service then 20 cents for each minute (that comes out of that deposit). Anyone know how the transition to Boost will affect this? I just made a $80 payment this past November so obviously I'm concerned with this change! All their FAQs only talk about plans with monthly fees and make no mention of any old legacy plans like mine.

In addition, threads in the Boost forum say they are going to stop supporting 3G phone on April 30th. My phone is an old flip phone which is obviously only 3G.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You should upgrade the phone and be able to keep the phone #. Just make sure that the replacement phone supports LTE/VOLTE. Which cellular network is your phone using (At&t, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile) ? Did the email say why you are being switched to Boost ?

All the major cellular carriers are retiring their older 3G networks over the next few years to LTE/VOLTE and 5G which will require all 3G users to upgrade their phones eventually. There are various compatible phones available at a modest amount, no need to pay for a smart phone unless you want to.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    You should upgrade the phone and be able to keep the phone #. Just make sure that the replacement phone supports LTE/VOLTE. Which cellular network is your phone using (At&t, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile) ? Did the email say why you are being switched to Boost ?

All the major cellular carriers are retiring their older 3G networks over the next few years to LTE/VOLTE and 5G which will require all 3G users to upgrade their phones eventually. There are various compatible phones available at a modest amount, no need to pay for a smart phone unless you want to.
    Virgin Mobile has always been Sprint, and seems to just be an "odd" brand as of late, and Sprint put all of their money/efforts into Boost.

To the OP, just port your number to Tello, it still runs on Sprint, is only $0.01/min and I'm not sure the credit ever expires as long as you make a call every 90 days or so (your current phone should even work, as it's Sprint CDMA capable)

I've been working on the same $10 credit since 2017.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    Cyclops
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Did the email say why you are being switched to Boost .
    I also got the same e-mail today. I looked up the FAQ on the Virgin Mobile USA site on the Boost migration, and the reason is Virgin Mobile USA will be discontinued. So EVERYONE with a VMUSA account will be switched to Boost.

Like the OP, my Mom and I got flip-phones: Mine is the Kycocera Cyclops. My Mom's is the Kyocera S2100. I handle and pay for both our accounts which are still on the original pay-as-you-go plan (25˘ for the first 10 minutes, 10˘ /minute after that for the rest of the day, Top Up $20 every 90 days). I'm not sure what plan that Boost has thats compatible for our situation.

Just reading the replies, does this really mean we must ditch our flip-phones and upgrade to the rectangular touch-screen phones by the end of April?

I actually have a Kyocera S2300 QWERTY phone still new in the box. Is this phone going to be useless by this spring?

I am both surprised and concerned since I had used Virgin Mobile for 16 years and always been happy with the service and their phones. What a way to begin the new year...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Virgin Mobile has always been Sprint, and seems to just be an "odd" brand as of late, and Sprint put all of their money/efforts into Boost.

To the OP, just port your number to Tello, it still runs on Sprint, is only $0.01/min and I'm not sure the credit ever expires as long as you make a call every 90 days or so (your current phone should even work, as it's Sprint CDMA capable)

I've been working on the same $10 credit since 2017.
    Virgin and Boost are Sprint for now. There may be changes if the T-Mobile-Sprint merger goes through. The proposed disposition of Virgin and Boost is for them to be divested to Dish to operate as a MVNO of T-Mo, but probably on the Sprint network for some months to years.

Are there even Sprint VoLTE feature phones available? Sprint just started enabling VoLTE a few months ago and it is not on all of their network yet.

Tello seems like a good switch aside from losing the Virgin prepaid balance. They changed their terms of service a few months ago. Prepaid deposits now expire after 90 days, but I haven't seen them enforce that yet. I still have $3+ from my $5 deposit in 2017. It still worked when I tried it last week. The minimum deposit is now $20.

You can get a monthly plan with Tello for $5 mo. for 100 minutes, unlimited texts, no data. Unlimited talk and text, no data is $8/mo.

I have had Tello service for almost three years. They have been excellent. It just works (where Sprint works) no drama.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There are still flip, non-feature phones that you can purchase with the newer technologies. No need to buy a candy-bar style phone, just make sure it is compatible and there should be no problems.

I was not certain that a "drop-dead" date had been clearly set, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen by this summer. The old Virgin Mobile USA is going the way of the dinosaur and there is nothing that will change that. Clearly Boost will be one option, the other would be to pick a different MVNO or post paid carrier of your choice.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Are they currently shut down? The site still allows me to start service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Are they currently shut down? The site still allows me to start service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Virgin Mobile sent texts to customers today announcing that the Virgin Mobile brand is shutting down and that customers will be migrated to Boost.

There's a page at https://support.virginmobileusa.com/...migration.html with more details including a statement that "In most instances, your existing account will be transferred to Boost Mobile with your device, and a comparable or better Boost Mobile service plan at no extra cost to you." I don't know what will happen to grandfathered PayLo accounts which don't have a current Boost equivalent.

The announcement says that the switch to Boost will occur early in Feburary.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Tello seems like a good switch aside from losing the Virgin prepaid balance. They changed their terms of service a few months ago. Prepaid deposits now expire after 90 days, but I haven't seen them enforce that yet. I still have $3+ from my $5 deposit in 2017. It still worked when I tried it last week. The minimum deposit is now $20.
    How do I get a plan like that? When I go to their site and try to create a plan selecting No Data and No Minutes it says that isn't valid.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. You have to go to Rates then I can get to their pay as you go stuff. Anyone know if I can do anything else with the balance at Tello (like use it to purchase a phone from them)?

Device(s)
    Samsung Stripe
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile To Go
    Feedback Score
    My mom still has a legacy pay as you go plan that is only 18 cents a minute and that is what i see when i log into her account. We top up the account with 10 dollars every 45-90 days or so. She also received the email that her account is being changed

I am also wondering what the effects will be once the switch to Boost is completed. Tello does seem a bit cheaper of being 5 dollars a month compare to the 10 we pay to virgin mobile so that is a good option

Feedback Score
    With all the uncertainty, I just used most my cash balance to buy a new phone (that I can at least sell on eBay). While my cash balance will transfer to Boost, I read somewhere that they do not allow you to use your balance to purchase phones (unlike VM).

Device(s)
    something from LG and a Samsung
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Darn hate to lose VM - pretty good deal for data

I've got a kid on VM - $35 for unlimited with 10gb of data which is actually $30 with auto-pay. He just showed me a text he got today about service ending and auto-transfer to Boost but no date mentioned. Well payment is due today. I don't remember getting a message about this earlier but I just Googled and I saw web entries from June. Darn. I called and after a ridiculous go round not being able to get a live person, I found out we have until Feb 6.
    Last edited by veriztd; 01-08-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shof515 View Post
    My mom still has a legacy pay as you go plan that is only 18 cents a minute and that is what i see when i log into her account. We top up the account with 10 dollars every 45-90 days or so. She also received the email that her account is being changed
    Both of my parents have the even older 20c/minute plans. They're not interested in getting smartphones, nor do they manage their accounts on the web site, so I hope that the changes are minimal.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Both of my parents have the even older 20c/minute plans. They're not interested in getting smartphones, nor do they manage their accounts on the web site, so I hope that the changes are minimal.
    As I mentioned in post #6, they don't have to buy a smartphone.

Feedback Score
    My mom has a kyocera flip phone on the $20 400 minute plan.

She did not get a text yet.

So will they let her keep the same plan?

It sounds like there will be nothing changed for her situation.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast