Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Just got email about being forced to Boost

Feedback Score
    I logged into my account and I'm not happy. I put $80 in my VM account in Nov 2019 and should be paid up through Nov 2020 -- but Boost says my funds will expire on 5/25. I did use some of my VM funds to buy a phone right before the switch over so I only have about $15 in my account now. Hopefully I can get this corrected with a chat!

I know others are talking about using their balance to pay for service, but I'm not sure how that can work since the funds actually expire with Boost -- unlike VM where the funds never expired.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    bcm00re, I hope your online chat gets it resolved to your satisfaction but remember that plans, features and policies can change when transferring service (voluntary or involuntary) to another provider.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    I would like some clarity on this whole funds expire thing. Is it like on VM and it means that's when you need to add money to the balance? Or does that balance actually disappear on that date whether or not you add money? Cause yeah, the latter is not acceptable, and that's when I become a former Boost customer.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You should contact Boost Mobile customer service for the answer. I can't give you a satisfactory answer because I don't know and neither does the HOFO community at this point.

Feedback Score
    For those of you who just use your fone for occasional calls (no data), TruPhone would be better suited for you. This is GSM.

You pay $30 upfront - $15 is for the SIM card, $15 remains as your credit.

Balance never expires. You must have some activity ( make/receive call/txt it use data) every 30 days.

In the USA:
    Incoming calls and texts are free
    Outgoing calls texts - 9˘/min or txt
    Data - 9˘/mb

Feedback Score
    Update: A rep told me that adding $1 every 90 days is enough to keep my account active. But now I just got this email that I used to get at the first of every month from VM: (I really wish I'd paid down my balance and bought some phones from VM while I still could have.)

Please note that your Boost pay-as-you-go account cash balance cannot have a balance of $400 or more. To ensure your account remains active, once your account balance reaches $379.99 or greater we will deduct $20 for your pay-as-you-go plan payment.

Feedback Score
    Wow, if we really only have to deposit $1 every 90 days to keep it active then I'll actually be okay with this change after all! I sure hope that is true.

Feedback Score
    I found the following when I logged into my new Boost account:
    This date represents when the funds on your account will expire. Funds are valid for 90 days after being added to your account. In order to ensure your funds do not expire, be sure to add funds (min $1) to your account every 90 days.

Feedback Score
    Can confirm --- I just added $1 to my balance and it gave me 90 more days. Yeah!!

Feedback Score
    I did the same this evening...so this change is actually for the better (for me).

Device(s)
    Switch_Back
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    I can also confirm that adding just a small amount of money was enough to "Re-Boost" my account.

whew!
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. -- Edward R. Murrow

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I wonder if this affects California Lifeline customers who use Virgin Mobile through Assurance Wireless?
    The current Assurance Wireless website has a customer service email contact with Sprint on it,

[email protected]

They're still accepting lifeline applications so it must be under Sprint now, whatever that is coming to.

I'm not clear on all of these changes. If Sprint was taken over by T-Mo, is T-Mobile going to take AW over, or some other like Boost (since Virgin customers were switched to Boost)?

Maybe AW subscribers know by now.

I had AW through Virgin Mobile years ago, applied late 2016 and switched to SafeLink (Net10/ TracFone), then canceled lifeline service in 2018 or 2019. There weren't many good options for AW phones, the ones I had were pseudo disfunctional. Had unlimited talk/text but hard to use the phone, texting quit working. Could still call but texted more than I called. SafeLink allowed BYOP.

There's also TruConnect lifeline service that I think uses T-Mobile / Sprint for service. Anyone who has to leave AW might consider TruConnect or SafeLink.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Wiko Life 2, Samsung A910
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Assurance Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    The current Assurance Wireless website has a customer service email contact with Sprint on it,

[email protected]

They're still accepting lifeline applications so it must be under Sprint now, whatever that is coming to.

I'm not clear on all of these changes. If Sprint was taken over by T-Mo, is T-Mobile going to take AW over, or some other like Boost (since Virgin customers were switched to Boost)?

Maybe AW subscribers know by now.

I had AW through Virgin Mobile years ago, applied late 2016 and switched to SafeLink (Net10/ TracFone), then canceled lifeline service in 2018 or 2019. There weren't many good options for AW phones, the ones I had were pseudo disfunctional. Had unlimited talk/text but hard to use the phone, texting quit working. Could still call but texted more than I called. SafeLink allowed BYOP.

There's also TruConnect lifeline service that I think uses T-Mobile / Sprint for service. Anyone who has to leave AW might consider TruConnect or SafeLink.

I am on Assurance Wireless and they notified me, via text message, they have joined TMobile.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkendallpk View Post
    I am on Assurance Wireless and they notified me, via text message, they have joined TMobile.
    I wonder what that means in the way of future service, if T-Mo will continue to offer the lifeline service or if they'll discontinue it.

The plans must be fairly costly and possibly they make enough from the revenue to continue it. If not, there are other lifeline providers to switch to. TruConnect runs on T-Mo & Sprint I think, for those who need that connection.

I looked to see what phones that Assurance gives its subscribers these days. I had a ZTE N817, which is 8gb/1gb memory. Had trouble with messages saying to clean up the memory.

They are hopefully providing 16gb phones now, but I did see one site selling some refurbs that included 8gb phones. The top phone was a Samsung over $100. It was a big leap between the older refurbs and the A10e (I think that's the one).

I used to wonder why they'd give out such mediocre performance phones with such a monthly plan. It would only frustrate the person who really tried to use it, rather than the ones who only needed an emergency connection. I decided the less the person used the phone, the more profitable to the company because they could charge for services that weren't used. It would seem they could have a cheap plan for people who use less than the unlimited plans offer, like 100minutes talk, 100 texts, 500mbs data, like the $60/year Red Pocket plan. Then if the person needs to, buy more minutes or texts for cheap, or switch up to the unlimited lifeline plan.

Bring Your Own Phone would be the best way, but it depends on whether or not the person has or can get a phone that works on the service.

Device(s)
    Wiko Life 2, Samsung A910
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Assurance Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Assurance Wireless is a MNVO and not part of TMobile.

What they gave me was a Wiko Life 2. Not a great phone, but it works OK. It runs on Android 9, if I remember correctly and it got a security update back in June.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast