Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Cheap unlimited 256k tether?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    425
    Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    0

    Cheap unlimited 256k tether?

    im currently on Mint ($30 for 3 months) and use it as my home internet replacement since i mainly just do email, news and forums.
    love the unlimited 128k tether.

    it expires this week but i have another mint sim so i'm good till April.
    my plan is just keep buying Mint sims every 3 months. (they seem to have some special every couple of months.)

    then i saw TMobile's ONE plan has unlimited 512k tether. no idea how much it costs but im thinking it's alot more than $10/month.

    that got me thinking, are there cheap unlimited 256k tether plans?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,655
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    im currently on Mint ($30 for 3 months) and use it as my home internet replacement since i mainly just do email, news and forums.
    love the unlimited 128k tether.

    it expires this week but i have another mint sim so i'm good till April.
    my plan is just keep buying Mint sims every 3 months. (they seem to have some special every couple of months.)

    then i saw TMobile's ONE plan has unlimited 512k tether. no idea how much it costs but im thinking it's alot more than $10/month.

    that got me thinking, are there cheap unlimited 256k tether plans?
    T-Mobile Has not offered the one plan in awhile. That’s been long replaced by the magenta plan. And the T-Mobile one plan started at $40 a month.


    They offer 2GB of LTE data for $10 a month though


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

    I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    425
    Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    T-Mobile Has not offered the one plan in awhile. That’s been long replaced by the magenta plan. And the T-Mobile one plan started at $40 a month.

    They offer 2GB of LTE data for $10 a month though

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    does their $10/month plan have unlimited tether?
    what speeds?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,655
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    does their $10/month plan have unlimited tether?
    what speeds?
    It has 2GB LTE then "2G" unlimited speeds after. As stated on there website.

    It's a hotspot plan and must be used with a hotspot. It won't work with a phone. With a phone you would have to get the higher normal plan.

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    It has 2GB LTE then "2G" unlimited speeds after. As stated on there website.

    It's a hotspot plan and must be used with a hotspot. It won't work with a phone. With a phone you would have to get the higher normal plan.

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    In cases like that can you just use it in a phone for just the data tethering/hot spotting with no need for voice/text ? Like if someone had an old phone they just wanted to use as a hot spot and not have to buy a HS device.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,919
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Do you have a link to this hotspot plan?

    Does it work internationally?


    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,655
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    In cases like that can you just use it in a phone for just the data tethering/hot spotting with no need for voice/text ? Like if someone had an old phone they just wanted to use as a hot spot and not have to buy a HS device.
    But you would need an hotspot IMEI first. It won’t accept a phones IMEI on signup.

    Also it’s hit or miss. My T-Mobile hotspot sim does NOT work in an android or iPhone at all.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,655
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Do you have a link to this hotspot plan?

    Does it work internationally?


    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    No. They’d cut you off. It’s 200mb or 500mb. And extended use would get it shut off


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,919
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would not use it for extended use, just basic connectivity for when I am overseas. Maybe task this is the primary internet for a remote site to power iot devices.

    I read a little of the fine print, said that billing address had to be in the US.

    I have an unlocked freedompop mifi 2(AT&T) to try this on. Or maybe I will look for a tablet or chromebook with GSM radio.

    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,106
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    I believe the T-Mo data plan being discussed is the one I've mentioned many times here on HoFo. It can be found at https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet. The LTE data works in the US, Canada, and Mexico for up to the data limit of your chosen plan or 5GB, whichever is less. I use mine almost exclusively in my cell phone.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,919
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hmm... Would be more useful for me if it worked in Europe and Asia....


    do you have to do anything special to get it work on your phone? Everything I read said that it would only work on non voice and text devices.

    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,106
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Hmm... Would be more useful for me if it worked in Europe and Asia....

    do you have to do anything special to get it work on your phone? Everything I read said that it would only work on non voice and text devices.
    No, I didn't have to do anything special to get the data working on my phones. I previously used it in my unlocked-by-AT&T LG Phoenix 2, and now I'm using it in my factory unlocked Moto E4 XT1768.

    There's a postpaid version of that plan available that has unlimited 128Kbps in pretty much every country, but I think it's only offered through certain groups or affiliations. But even with the postpaid version, LTE is only available in the US, Canada, and Mexico, with 128Kbps available in other countries.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    62
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    No, I didn't have to do anything special to get the data working on my phones. I previously used it in my unlocked-by-AT&T LG Phoenix 2, and now I'm using it in my factory unlocked Moto E4 XT1768.

    There's a postpaid version of that plan available that has unlimited 128Kbps in pretty much every country, but I think it's only offered through certain groups or affiliations. But even with the postpaid version, LTE is only available in the US, Canada, and Mexico, with 128Kbps available in other countries.
    There is a $20.00 tablet add on for those with a regular T-Mobile post paid.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,919
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    So does this sim kind of work like Freedompop in your phone? Data but no talk and text? If so, not bad if I take an occasional trip to Mexico or Canada.

    Meh... $10 for something I might not use very much of is intriguing. Anything more borders on being out of my scope. Overseas, I'm not as concerned about lte Data as much as I just want some data for Google maps, Yelp and other text apps.

    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    425
    Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I believe the T-Mo data plan being discussed is the one I've mentioned many times here on HoFo. It can be found at https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet. The LTE data works in the US, Canada, and Mexico for up to the data limit of your chosen plan or 5GB, whichever is less. I use mine almost exclusively in my cell phone.
    the $10 plan is 2gig lte then unlimited 2G.
    whats the 2g speed?


    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    No, I didn't have to do anything special to get the data working on my phones. I previously used it in my unlocked-by-AT&T LG Phoenix 2, and now I'm using it in my factory unlocked Moto E4 XT1768.
    i also have the moto E4.
    so this tmobile data only sim works in the E4?
    simply pop it in? or did you have to change some settings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. need cheap unlimited data plan w/ tethering!
    By tsuami in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 11:20 AM
  2. Sti Mobile Lg 5225 with $40 airtime mint! Prepaid cheap unlimited web
    By haydeno in forum Non GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 04:45 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 10:27 AM
  4. OK, what's NOT included in Blackberry Unlimited Data + Tether
    By NYC2SoCal in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2006, 06:50 PM
  5. Cheap unlimited WAP? or Free WAP?
    By superspacey in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 04:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks