Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For those leaving cricket wireless....

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

For those leaving cricket wireless....

What provider are you going to when you leave cricket? I seen the thread on Visible but I need a provider using the GSM network. And close to the same monthly price. I currently have the 4 lines for $100/mo plan. I really don’t want to go back to the post paid expensive plans.

Feedback Score
    why do you feel the need to leave Cricket?

Feedback Score
    4 for a $100.00 is still a solid deal with Cricket/At&t. I moved my single line to At&t Prepaid to get tethering and 25gb on the $40.00 Walmart plan. I'd have no problem switching back to Cricket if they ever add free hotspot and match the data amount on my current plan.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    why do you feel the need to leave Cricket?
    Like others have mentioned of the slow data speeds, sometimes it seems data is moving like 2g speeds

Feedback Score
    When I was traveling in LA week before last, there would be some times where it seemed my data was frozen. If I toggled airplane mode and back on then it seemed to catch a new tower or new connection and then worked fine. It happened at least 5-10 times over a period of several days. When it was stalled, it showed LTE or LTE+ and at least 3-4 bars of signal but yet nothing seemed to be loading

It has been better since I returned to Chicago

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Been with them for over 2 years now. Still a good deal. For the data issue, might be worth a shot switching to 3g mode when it happens.

I've seen that happen in one area in town - likely too many users on the tower. Dropping to 3g helped.

Maybe a device with more bands is helpful, but aside from airplane mode or band lockout (requires root), there's no way to choose which bands will used.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberman View Post
    What provider are you going to when you leave cricket? I seen the thread on Visible but I need a provider using the GSM network. And close to the same monthly price. I currently have the 4 lines for $100/mo plan. I really don’t want to go back to the post paid expensive plans.
    What kind of device are you using? At this point, the GSM/CDMA argument only matters if you're concerned about 2G/3G service and/or falling back to those for calls—Visible is LTE-only, Verizon will even activate devices that don't have CDMA hardware like the Intel-only iPhone 8/8 Plus/X and is planning a shutdown of 3G soon anyway, T-Mobile is refarming, and AT&T is planning a shutdown (but obviously may need HSPA for calls if you have an unsupported device).

Nonetheless, if you're happy with AT&T's network, AT&T Prepaid may be a good fit now that they have enabled VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling (curiously on all plans except the most expensive, which they just broke). AT&T has been mucking with a lot of towers lately and some weird things have been happening even for postpaid (typically Band 14 installations and 5G upgrades).

Are you on the old Unlimited plan or the new "Cricket Core" version that is always-deprioritized?

I have family on the old Unlimited plan and so far things have been okay for them, I moved my line to AT&T Prepaid (Walmart 8GB+17GB promo plan over the summer) and have been happy with the speeds/service. I also tried Visible with a new number—it reminds me of Cricket in the proxy server days with the very high pings, but you also get the fun of random aggressive deprioritization in odd places (when speeds are good, it's really good).

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If T-Mobile works good enough where you need it and you’re okay with slow hotspot/SD streaming then T-Mobile Essentials might be a good fit. 4 lines of unlimited for $120

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/essentials

Too bad you missed out on the 20% hookup monthly discount that ended on 12/31

And yes their GSM network is still active. 🤪
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    If T-Mobile works good enough where you need it and you’re okay with slow hotspot/SD streaming then T-Mobile Essentials might be a good fit. 4 lines of unlimited for $120

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/essentials

Too bad you missed out on the 20% hookup monthly discount that ended on 12/31

And yes their GSM network is still active. ��
    Plus taxes and fees. Magenta is a better deal because it's inclusive of those.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    What kind of device are you using? At this point, the GSM/CDMA argument only matters if you're concerned about 2G/3G service and/or falling back to those for calls—Visible is LTE-only, Verizon will even activate devices that don't have CDMA hardware like the Intel-only iPhone 8/8 Plus/X and is planning a shutdown of 3G soon anyway, T-Mobile is refarming, and AT&T is planning a shutdown (but obviously may need HSPA for calls if you have an unsupported device).

Nonetheless, if you're happy with AT&T's network, AT&T Prepaid may be a good fit now that they have enabled VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling (curiously on all plans except the most expensive, which they just broke). AT&T has been mucking with a lot of towers lately and some weird things have been happening even for postpaid (typically Band 14 installations and 5G upgrades).

Are you on the old Unlimited plan or the new "Cricket Core" version that is always-deprioritized?

I have family on the old Unlimited plan and so far things have been okay for them, I moved my line to AT&T Prepaid (Walmart 8GB+17GB promo plan over the summer) and have been happy with the speeds/service. I also tried Visible with a new number—it reminds me of Cricket in the proxy server days with the very high pings, but you also get the fun of random aggressive deprioritization in odd places (when speeds are good, it's really good).
    IM on the Unlimited plan with Cricket. I joined them Oct 2018. I am using an iPhone 8 ATT GSM phone and my family uses the GSM iPhones too.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    IM on the Unlimited plan with Cricket. I joined them Oct 2018. I am using an iPhone 8 ATT GSM phone and my family uses the GSM iPhones too.
    Ah, that make sense. Technically almost all iPhones have GSM hardware (I think there was one CDMA-only iPhone 4), so most of the identifiers don't mark them as such. The 6S was "universal" in that it had a Qualcomm modem and hardware for all carriers. During the 7/8/X era, there were models with Intel modems that lacked CDMA capabilities and models with Qualcomm modems that had CDMA capabilities. For the XS/XR/11/11 Pro, they all have Intel models with CDMA capabilities, too.

That being said, as long as your phones are unlocked, you're probably in pretty good shape to check out all sorts of MVNOs and other services. Other than Sprint, you can take your pick of any service that runs on T-Mobile or AT&T, as well as many from Verizon. You won't have access to Verizon's 3G network (not that it matters with Visible), but that's on borrowed time anyway. It was supposed to be shut down 12/31/19, but got a year extension. Not saying it has to be Visible, but many services will allow you to check your model or IMEI for compatibility: https://www.visible.com/shop/bring-your-own-phone/

Since LTE is technically an entirely different beast than CDMA and GSM (it's a relative of GSM), as long as the carrier supports VoLTE and your phone has the appropriate bands, you can be LTE-only. If you're on an AT&T- or T-Mobile-based service, you may see less non-LTE anyway, as locations are refarmed for LTE and 5G service (T-Mobile has left a little bit of EDGE for legacy things, and "4G" HSPA has been disappearing).

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Not sure what your question is. I was sort of forced to drop my cricket line because of sudden and continued poor signal at my home, where I'd enjoyed great Att/cricket service for 15 or so years. Complaints to cricket/att didn't help. There seemed to be simultaneous degraded area wide degradation of service for a while. However, I still have a good attitude toward cricket, I guess.

After visible began the party share for $25/mth, and also help arrange them, it was a no brainier to try visible. For be it works as I've got much faster dl and coverage in general, plus I have unlimited hotspot, which is itself is Hugh benefit.

Otoh, visible's handset selection, their strictly online customer service while potentially an issue, is minor compared to the advantages.

Speed wise, my backup metro line is usually faster, but there's more coverage issues at least in my area.

Bottom line imo, is that it depends in what works for you, where you need service, and cricket was letting me down.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket/AIO
    Feedback Score
    I'd consider Visible, if only because AT&T doesn't come in too well at the house. It does everywhere else I go, so it isn't a big deal (still have a houseline, which is actually Straight Talk (Verizon)).
    The problem I have with Visible is the lack of handsets. Hopefully that will get better. I rather enjoy being able to use any phone I like.

Feedback Score
    Visible service sucks.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    AT&T/Cricket shut down their GSM network in 2017. T-Mobile is still running their GSM network until the end of 2020.

AT&T/Cricket presently operates their 3G W-CDMA/HSDPA network and their 4G LTE network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast