Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upload Speed

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score

Upload Speed

Curious as to why AT&T bandwidth is so unequal when it comes to upload/download speeds while say Verizon has no trouble exceeding in this department. Even smaller carriers like USCC while the download is generally slow the upload is much more even.

Even after a major upgrade on my home tower going from band 4/12 to band 2,4,12,14,30 & 66 the upload speed is still pretty bad while the download made huge improvements.

Is this a back haul situation or a lack of CA on UL ? Does Verizon simply have more access to fiber ? So many variables but one thing is consistent poor upload speed on AT&T.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    Curious as to why AT&T bandwidth is so unequal when it comes to upload/download speeds while say Verizon has no trouble exceeding in this department. Even smaller carriers like USCC while the download is generally slow the upload is much more even.

Even after a major upgrade on my home tower going from band 4/12 to band 2,4,12,14,30 & 66 the upload speed is still pretty bad while the download made huge improvements.

Is this a back haul situation or a lack of CA on UL ? Does Verizon simply have more access to fiber ? So many variables but one thing is consistent poor upload speed on AT&T.

Att likely doesn't have wideband LTE in your area, compared to VZW. They had to give up some spectrum to T-Mobile, so TMO is more likely to have wideband. Where att might be stuck at 10x10 vs 20x20 on vzw and TMO. Plus att also throttles uploads to I guess

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Yes I never see anything higher than 10mhz around new Hampshire. Also Att throttles upload ?

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    T doesn't throttle uploads. In markets where they are enabling upload CA, there's been a huge bump in speed. There's been tests run pushing 80 mbps.

Also, even though the air link and spectrum have been updated, they may still be waiting on a backhaul upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    T doesn't throttle uploads. In markets where they are enabling upload CA, there's been a huge bump in speed. There's been tests run pushing 80 mbps.

Also, even though the air link and spectrum have been updated, they may still be waiting on a backhaul upgrade.

Disagree. In Nokia markets (where I live, NYC, Detroit...) uploads seem to cap off where 16QAM would peak, 25 Mbps for 10 MHz, 50 Mbps for 20 MHz, even with perfect SINR. In Ericsson markets, if I have high enough SINR upload will break that mark easily.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    OP, Your issue likely has to do with the fact that AT&T doesn’t have very dense cell grids in most areas, tied in with the fact that their spectrum is so fractured. Verizon, being more dense, allows you to have better signal more of the time, and upload is always the weak link. You might be doing triple the DL throughput of Verizon, but UL suffers because you might be over a mile away from the site.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Disagree. In Nokia markets (where I live, NYC, Detroit...) uploads seem to cap off where 16QAM would peak, 25 Mbps for 10 MHz, 50 Mbps for 20 MHz, even with perfect SINR. In Ericsson markets, if I have high enough SINR upload will break that mark easily.

I figured that to just be limitation of the hardware, not necessarily a throttle. Either way, wish it could be better. I have better uploads upstate on band 12 pumping signal 8+ miles. Easily get 25 mbps upload a couple miles from the tower. Here in NYC, can't break 21/22 mbps upload.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    OP, Your issue likely has to do with the fact that AT&T doesn’t have very dense cell grids in most areas, tied in with the fact that their spectrum is so fractured. Verizon, being more dense, allows you to have better signal more of the time, and upload is always the weak link. You might be doing triple the DL throughput of Verizon, but UL suffers because you might be over a mile away from the site.

Disagree completely I have screen shots wer eim getting 200 on the download with Verizon and 60+ on the upload so it doesnt suffer at all here in los Angeles ca

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    Disagree completely I have screen shots wer eim getting 200 on the download with Verizon and 60+ on the upload so it doesnt suffer at all here in los Angeles ca

I think Jakeuten was referring to AT&T having a less dense network which accounts for his slower uploads. I can verify here that Verizon uploads on 20 MHz is much faster than AT&T uploads on 20 MHz. Verizon being Ericsson here and AT&T being Nokia. I have never seen AT&T exceed 49 Mbps UL on 20x20 B2 or 4.

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Are you able to tell how much bandwidth att has for UL vs DL by looking at the service menu on a Samsung or using apps like SignalCheck Pro or Cellmapper? I'm interested to know for the Birmingham and surrounding areas because the highest UL speeds I've gotten on LTE+ is about 20mbps, but I can get 100+ mbps of DL speed.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Are you able to tell how much bandwidth att has for UL vs DL by looking at the service menu on a Samsung or using apps like SignalCheck Pro or Cellmapper? I'm interested to know for the Birmingham and surrounding areas because the highest UL speeds I've gotten on LTE+ is about 20mbps, but I can get 100+ mbps of DL speed.

On Samsung, the PCC displayed will be the bandwidth for UL. None of the Galaxys or Notes support the same number of upload band combos that the iPhone 11 does and posted on the other thread. Samsungs only support upload CA on bands 5 or 66 (5+5 or 66+66) and hasn't been seen yet. Not sure how Service Mode would display those two combos so we'll have to wait and see.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Contiguous spectrum. VZW has a slice of 20x20 minimum in most markets. AT&T has 10x10 chunks in most markets and on top of that, has very few areas with upload CA.

So VZW, 40+Mbps uploads a LOT of the time; AT&T? Expect max 15Mbps uploads regularly.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    Contiguous spectrum. VZW has a slice of 20x20 minimum in most markets. AT&T has 10x10 chunks in most markets and on top of that, has very few areas with upload CA.

So VZW, 40+Mbps uploads a LOT of the time; AT&T? Expect max 15Mbps uploads regularly.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Uplink CA is deployed nationwide on AT&T. There just aren’t many devices that can take advantage of it. The iPhone 11 is currently the best device for utilizing it most often, as it supports the most possible combos.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    Uplink CA is deployed nationwide on AT&T. There just aren’t many devices that can take advantage of it. The iPhone 11 is currently the best device for utilizing it most often, as it supports the most possible combos.
    S10/+ and note 10/+ support it

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    On Samsung, the PCC displayed will be the bandwidth for UL. None of the Galaxys or Notes support the same number of upload band combos that the iPhone 11 does and posted on the other thread. Samsungs only support upload CA on bands 5 or 66 (5+5 or 66+66) and hasn't been seen yet. Not sure how Service Mode would display those two combos so we'll have to wait and see.
    So this menu wouldn't help with CA UP info?Name:  Screenshot_20200108-093744_Service%20mode%20RIL.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  45.1 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast