Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Claim: VZW to abolish all Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans (GUDP) in 2020

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Don't worry, you will get it sooner or later.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plowguy View Post
    I've never understood the need to hold on to old plans with a kung-fu death grip until the end of time. It seems to me that if you were to assess an hourly rate to all the effort required to keep an old plan, the perceived savings diminish over time.

I wonder how much of this is really just social engineering by Verizon to establish a certain customer profile.
    Simple - 100% unlimited hotspot

I've not heard anything yet on my old Nationwide 900 + gUDP + $30 hotspot addon. It's a bit more but being able to use 50GB of hotspot on the months I need it... is worth it.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    I've never understood the need to hold on to old plans with a kung-fu death grip until the end of time. It seems to me that if you were to assess an hourly rate to all the effort required to keep an old plan, the perceived savings diminish over time.

I wonder how much of this is really just social engineering by Verizon to establish a certain customer profile.
    I want to hold onto my GUDP because I've been able to use indordinate amounts of data without a hitch.

Feedback Score

Because some people use their Verizon LTE service as a substitute for a traditional fixed internet connection, and Verizon doesn’t want that because the network probably wasn’t designed for it. This is likely one of the reasons why they’re working on offering 5G fixed internet, an entirely new method of delivery. I’ve played with people who use their hotspots to play Grand Theft Auto for hours on end, either because they’re unhappy with their current home internet connection, or because it’s simply cheaper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Because some people use their Verizon LTE service as a substitute for a traditional fixed internet connection, and Verizon doesn’t want that because the network probably wasn’t designed for it.
    There is no probably it's certainty that the 4G network wasn't designed for it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Simple - 100% unlimited hotspot

I've not heard anything yet on my old Nationwide 900 + gUDP + $30 hotspot addon. It's a bit more but being able to use 50GB of hotspot on the months I need it... is worth it.
    Get More gives you 30 GB then you can still use the hotspot it's just slowed down to 600 kbps. So you could certainly use more than 50 GB on the Get More Plan

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Get More gives you 30 GB then you can still use the hotspot it's just slowed down to 600 kbps. So you could certainly use more than 50 GB on the Get More Plan
    Um, have you tried to use the hotspot at 600kbps? it's totally trash. I actually do work on the road (I also am a contracted engineer for a few things) - the gUDP plan has served me fine for years. I'm not going to have 2-3 Verizon lines just to get the amount of hotspot I need when they were willing to sell me a plan that works fine for me from the beginning (and always has)

I now have a Sprint SIM with 100GB of hotspot and have been very impressed with the speeds just in case Verizon sends me the letter and really for testing purposes (although where i'm at now for instance, Sprint is 120Mbps and Verizon is sitting around 10Mbps - so Sprint is getting the workload tonight)

I'll just dump Verizon if they pull my gUDP and gladly take my $140/mo single line ARPU somewhere else if they do not want the money. I've got many scenarios where Verizon is just trash due to me being on the fringe of cells anyway, and worst case at AT&T I can use my tax ID and get a plan that has 100GB of hotspot.. It's not a big deal to me at this point, i'm not going to fight to give them money. I've mapped out my plan if they give the letter - and if they do i'll just leave VZ. It's that simple.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Um, have you tried to use the hotspot at 600kbps? it's totally trash.
    Totally trash? I have used my hotspot at 600Kbps many many times. I travel extensively and find it perfectly usable, obviously streaming video is out of the question. But for actual work it's just fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dffdce View Post
    Totally trash? I have used my hotspot at 600Kbps many many times. I travel extensively and find it perfectly usable, obviously streaming video is out of the question. But for actual work it's just fine.
    Clearly you're not doing work with things like Autocad (I am), or having to actually transfer files (which again, I am)

As I said. I refuse to accept any of Verizon's current plans as they are even trash for small business. I get it - they sat on their behind and did not get additional mid-band capacity when they could have.. But as a consumer that's not my problem. My problem is they no longer fit my needs once this plan is gone.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    All I'm going to say in response to the last few pages, is that if you did get one of these letters, particularly if you got a follow-up email, to get your Notice of Dispute in.

In the past Verizon has been "fair" with people that do the NoD process and aren't doing anything more than exercising Device Of Your Choice rights, per the CFR.

You can get your plan back with NoD/FCC, contrary to the claims of some. Has happened to me in the past. But it does take considerable effort, and you have to make a good case - at a minimum, to show the carrier that giving you the plan back is the "best" option for all involved.

Filing an NoD is the easiest option, and what you agreed to do when you signed up as a customer.

Edit: And to echo past advisements, anyone with gUDP should switch to a smartphone that supports tethering without Verizon's Premium Service entitlement - inline with their 2016/2017 statements in Nguyen. Essential Phone can be bought for under $100. Xperia 10 is another great option.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dffdce View Post
    I travel extensively and find it perfectly usable, obviously streaming video is out of the question. But for actual work it's just fine.
    It actually does work for Netflix. The 600 Kbps level was set because Netflix requires 512 Kbps. But thanks to TCP overhead, it doesn't work properly unless you give it another 10% padding. 512 + 51.2 = 563.2, or rounding up, 600 Kbps.

Feedback Score
    Um, have you tried to use the hotspot at 600kbps? it's totally trash. I actually do work on the road (I also am a contracted engineer for a few things) - the gUDP plan has served me fine for years. I'm not going to have 2-3 Verizon lines just to get the amount of hotspot I need when they were willing to sell me a plan that works fine for me from the beginning (and always has)

I now have a Sprint SIM with 100GB of hotspot and have been very impressed with the speeds just in case Verizon sends me the letter and really for testing purposes (although where i'm at now for instance, Sprint is 120Mbps and Verizon is sitting around 10Mbps - so Sprint is getting the workload tonight)

I'll just dump Verizon if they pull my gUDP and gladly take my $140/mo single line ARPU somewhere else if they do not want the money. I've got many scenarios where Verizon is just trash due to me being on the fringe of cells anyway, and worst case at AT&T I can use my tax ID and get a plan that has 100GB of hotspot.. It's not a big deal to me at this point, i'm not going to fight to give them money. I've mapped out my plan if they give the letter - and if they do i'll just leave VZ. It's that simple.
    Have you looked into these offerings? https://enterprise.verizon.com/produ...ess-internet/#

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Have you looked into these offerings? https://enterprise.verizon.com/produ...ess-internet/#
    I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, it is good to see Verizon start offering more solutions - but here's the thing... it's not even on their web site. If I were to walk into a Verizon store and talk to the business rep, 90% odds I'd leave the store with the promise of a callback when they learn more about it.

Anyone with gUDP is not going to want to change to that solution, and as the poster noted - others are willing to take on their business. Especially Sprint and T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    @brad15
    Hey if you actually happen to be in one of the few areas where Sprint's service isn't total crap you can get an unlimited hotspot through the nonprofit calyx institute.

@DebiLee
    Unless i'm missing it https://enterprise.verizon.com/produ...ess-internet/# doesn't appear to have specific plans or pricing listed.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    It actually does work for Netflix. The 600 Kbps level was set because Netflix requires 512 Kbps. But thanks to TCP overhead, it doesn't work properly unless you give it another 10% padding. 512 + 51.2 = 563.2, or rounding up, 600 Kbps.
    ROHC reduces that overhead significantly. Streaming NF is pretty low priority for me when travelling. I'll have to give it another shot next time I'm reduced to 600K.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast