Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Claim: VZW to abolish all Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans (GUDP) in 2020

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Or on T-Mobile, today.. you can add $50/mo and get unlimited hotspot to a line that's actually unlimited. There's a lot more flexibility/options at T-Mobile than Verizon if one really needs it.

I have that line in a netgear nighthawk LTE router, and it works fantastic with T-Mobile.. complete with ethernet out.
    Considering they are using at best maybe 20X20 MHz of spectrum her I doubt T-Mobile has the capacity to offer truly unlimited data here

Feedback Score
    Or on T-Mobile, today.. you can add $50/mo and get unlimited hotspot to a line that's actually unlimited. There's a lot more flexibility/options at T-Mobile than Verizon if one really needs it.

I have that line in a netgear nighthawk LTE router, and it works fantastic with T-Mobile.. complete with ethernet out.
    Will this plan be compatible with a grandfathered plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Considering they are using at best maybe 20X20 MHz of spectrum her I doubt T-Mobile has the capacity to offer truly unlimited data here
    Are you still in that small rural area? I'm betting they're using more than that and the speeds are still lightyears ahead of Verizon.

I know even in rural Ohio where i've been getting primary 600/700MHz.. its *still* been faster than AT&T and Verizon (especially on 5G), 4G has been only a few megabits faster, but the way they've done it with PCS/AWS picking up the "slack" outdoors, and 600/700MHz indoors.. it's been generally faster.

But hey, feel free to grab a free TestDrive device with 30GB for 30-days and *actually* use a service you bash.. before you bash it? - see I still have my gUDP line on Verizon - so I *actually* have side by side, apples to apples comparisons of both networks to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    Will this plan be compatible with a grandfathered plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It says you need Magenta right on the page, Which unless you had a super sweet T-Mobile ONE plan with "free" lines, then Magenta is about the same price with taxes/fees included in the price anyway (something most of my friends clinging to those old plans usually forget)
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    Are you still in that small rural area? I'm betting they're using more than that and the speeds are still lightyears ahead of Verizon.
    How can they be using more?

they have 5X5 band 12 and 15X15 band 71 but 10X10 is set aside for 5G. And you can't aggregate lowband yet so it either band 12 OR band 71 and it's 5X5 in ether case. They have 20X20 band 4 however according to T-Mobile's own maps. It says some of that is still UMTS. So it's at least 5X5 used for UTMS so at best that leaves 15X15 for 4G. They have licenses for PCS which both they and Sprint have in my area but choose not to deploy and also a 5x5 license for band 66. The pic is the best location in town not my location

Name:  Annotation 2020-08-25 155601.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  10.0 KB

As far as being faster than Verizon? I can get 50 Mbps or more inside during the busiest times indoors and have tested at up to 160 Mbps at night on a Pixel 2 XL. And I'm on Start Unlimited which has no premium data and is subject to deprioritization at all times.

I tested T-Mobile's free hotspot thing last fall. No where close. Maybe if they had left than band 71 at 15X15. Hey how about deploying that PCS spectrum? They have 22.5X22.5 combined between their holdings and Sprint's. That would double what they are using now and put them close to Verizon an at&t. They have every opportunity to convince me to become customer but are lacking effort here. And that's not NOT hating on T-Mobile that's just pointing out facts. If I hated T-Mobile I wouldn't consider having the as a carrier

Feedback Score
    Any news on the termination of Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited Data plans? Mine continues to go strong but I only use 100 - 140 GB/month.

I'm in rural MI so this is my only option for home internet (use it with a USB modem and Cradlepoint router for rock solid stability). I just tried T-Mobile's Home Internet but the device they send out for it is garbage. It cannot pull in a decent signal and absurdly it has no antenna ports. Total junk.

If my Verizon GUDP can truly be used for unlimited usage then I'm inclined to start streaming Netflix movies, but I'm paranoid those snakes will terminate me and I'll be back to square one.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Haven't heard anything new. Just keep using it as long as it is still available. Don't forget that grandfathered plans and features are offered as a courtesy for those who have them, there are no guarantees that they will available forever and can be discontinued at the will of the carrier.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    I pay good money for my grandfathered plan so I do not consider it a courtesy. If T-Mobile is giving you courtesy gigabytes then let me know how to get a piece of that action.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    my gUDP plan is still going, i'm just holding onto it to see how long they let me keep the 15min voice plan + data + unlimited hotspot.

It does work with "Nationwide 5G" - but the speeds are absolutely unimpressive. the iPad SIM i have here I swapped to one with 5G access and it gets UWB in my iPhone with no voice access so I can test the difference.

UWB is neat where it works, but not good enough for me to swap the plan.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream_'- View Post
    I pay good money for my grandfathered plan so I do not consider it a courtesy. If T-Mobile is giving you courtesy gigabytes then let me know how to get a piece of that action.
    My T-mobile Magenta plan is unlimited, nothing special. I am subject to throttling when I reach a certain data threshold as with most current plans/features.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream_'- View Post
    Any news on the termination of Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited Data plans? Mine continues to go strong but I only use 100 - 140 GB/month.

I'm in rural MI so this is my only option for home internet (use it with a USB modem and Cradlepoint router for rock solid stability). I just tried T-Mobile's Home Internet but the device they send out for it is garbage. It cannot pull in a decent signal and absurdly it has no antenna ports. Total junk.

If my Verizon GUDP can truly be used for unlimited usage then I'm inclined to start streaming Netflix movies, but I'm paranoid those snakes will terminate me and I'll be back to square one.

We've got 2 gUDP lines and they regularly get used for youtube, netflix, live tv streaming, ect
    Last month the two lines used ~300/GB each

I'm just hoping they'll let us keep it until I have alternatives which look like will be relatively soon.
    Starlink looks to be available in most of the US (still in beta) sometime in January which looks greats speedwise so it's going to be up to what caps it ends up with.
    There are various official unlimited home LTE options that T-Mobile and Verizon (also offering unlimited home 5G internet) are starting to offer which could become available at any time or never.
    Then the local electric CO-OP here finally decided to run gigabit fiber to 100% of their customers and say it will only take them 2-3 years.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Then the local electric CO-OP here finally decided to run gigabit fiber to 100% of their customers and say it will only take them 2-3 years.
    Don't hold your breath on that promise. In my city, they have promised to do so for almost 10 years and still the number of neighborhoods that have it can be counted on my fingers. Pathetic and overdue considering how much we pay for usage/access and taxes on those services.

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Don't hold your breath on that promise. In my city, they have promised to do so for almost 10 years and still the number of neighborhoods that have it can be counted on my fingers. Pathetic and overdue considering how much we pay for usage/access and taxes on those services.
    My local coop is saying 10 years for just 56.000 customers. They say they are going to hook everybody up I'm calling bull on that part, they will wiggle out of that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I think they have the competency to pull it off but i'm not going to wait for them, if anything better than running a verizon gUDP comes along in the meantime i'm going to switch to it. It looks like i'm going to end up with starlink for a while but I really want to know what the data caps are going to be before I drop my gUDP. I mean sure 200/20Mbps speeds would be great but anything less than a 2TB cap i'd be better off staying on the gUDP.

The city rolled out fiber ~15 years ago but the pricing (Compared to other local options it's great) compared to what is typical for fiber is crap like they offer gigabit service now for $799/mo. Right now we (at work) are on a 10/10Mbps $55/mo fiber connection because paying $90/mo for 20/20Mbps is BS.

TBF they are in the process of upgrading their equipment and upgraded areas get faster speeds like $60/mo would then get us 50/50Mbps and $90/mo would get us 100/100Mbps which is actually somewhat reasonable.

Also the rates for residents are significantly cheaper like $35/mo gets 20/10Mbps in old and $40/mo 50/12.5Mbps in upgraded areas.

The city rolled out smart meters a few years ago which has made their billing easier on their side.

The CO-OP rolled out smart meters a few years ago and has done a bunch of neat things with it like they now offer prepaid service (no disconnect fees!!) averaged billing and an app that lets you see your electric usage by the hour with nice graphs and stuff (one day delay).

Plus the CO-OP already uses fiber between their substations and has for years so they already have some experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    My local coop is saying 10 years for just 56.000 customers. They say they are going to hook everybody up I'm calling bull on that part, they will wiggle out of that.
    Well this is only ~14,000 members (~18,000 homes/business since each doesn't necessarily have only one) but I agree 2-3 years seems like a very fast deployment goal.

Like they say it's 2,500 miles of fiber they are going to deploy in 3 years so that's like ~2.2 miles of fiber a day or ~3.4 miles a day if they manage it in 2 years. I don't know if that's a lot for them but it sounds like a lot to me.

Feedback Score
    i own 4 gudp lines and have had zero issues, one line consistently hits 800gb per month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Data? View Post
    i own 4 gudp lines and have had zero issues, one line consistently hits 800gb per month.
    don't look for that to last forever

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast