Thread: Using Data from eSIM ( or Physical SIM) to use wifi calling

Device(s)
    Samsung SIII
    Carrier(s)
    ChatR
    Feedback Score

Using Data from eSIM ( or Physical SIM) to use wifi calling

Hello,

I get Wi-Fi calling on Verizon and have a phone that supports Wi-Fi calling as well as dual SIM ( eSIM). If I travel abroad, is it possible to use Wi-Fi calling through the data on the eSIM which is a local sim ?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ahaseeb View Post
    Hello,

I get Wi-Fi calling on Verizon and have a phone that supports Wi-Fi calling as well as dual SIM ( eSIM). If I travel abroad, is it possible to use Wi-Fi calling through the data on the eSIM which is a local sim ?
    Are you talking about android or iPhone? If android I don’t think so. But iPhone it should work I’ve seen reports of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    I am a little confused by the premise.

If you intend to use WiFi calling on your phone account with the WiFi provided by another mobile device, yes that will work fine. I do it often using my iPad roaming cell service to hotspot to my phone. This works well for international calling back to the US when away from a fixed WiFi provider. If you intend to use the same device for both the WiFi hotspot AND to make a WiFi call on the second line, that's a good question and I don't know where or how you'd get an answer to that. You could certainly try and experiment but I don't think on an iPhone that Line 2 will find the hotspot of Line 1 to connect for the call over WiFi. Or, I completely misunderstood your question, which is pretty likely.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Doesn’t work like a hotspot. In the right conditions on the iPhone you can piggy back off WiFi calling using the esim via data not actual WiFi or having to connect to a hotspot

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Doesn’t work like a hotspot. In the right conditions on the iPhone you can piggy back off WiFi calling using the esim via data not actual WiFi or having to connect to a hotspot

I don't understand what "Piggyback Off WiFi" means. Isn't it WiFi or not WiFi only? I have an 11 Pro Max and don't see a way I can have one line get data service to provide a WiFi hotspot for the second line to use for a WiFi call. Please explain what the "Right Conditions" are so I can try this for future reference. Details would be useful and a link would be awesome.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I don't understand what "Piggyback Off WiFi" means. Isn't it WiFi or not WiFi only? I have an 11 Pro Max and don't see a way I can have one line get data service to provide a WiFi hotspot for the second line to use for a WiFi call. Please explain what the "Right Conditions" are so I can try this for future reference. Details would be useful and a link would be awesome.
    I could be wrong but I’ve seen posts on reddit that one can use carrier A WiFi calling to make a call on carrier B data (esim) nothing to do with actual WiFi but being able to call through the data of the other esim

Feedback Score
    Well, Reddit gets some pretty wild claims at times, and frequently it's just plain wrong.

The description you've given can't happen in my opinion. The data from carrier B (esim) needs to be made available somehow to the carrier A WiFi calling, which of course must be WiFi. Both lines on a dual sim phone have the same phone name on iOS. You would be trying to connect to "my phone" WiFi service from "my phone" over WiFi to make a WiFi call on carrier A.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    I could be wrong but I’ve seen posts on reddit that one can use carrier A WiFi calling to make a call on carrier B data (esim) nothing to do with actual WiFi but being able to call through the data of the other esim

Yes this is how it works. If SIM A has no service, but SIM B (esim) does or vice versa, the phone will display message that says:

“SIM A (actual carrier name) using cellular data”.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, Reddit gets some pretty wild claims at times, and frequently it's just plain wrong.

The description you've given can't happen in my opinion. The data from carrier B (esim) needs to be made available somehow to the carrier A WiFi calling, which of course must be WiFi. Both lines on a dual sim phone have the same phone name on iOS. You would be trying to connect to "my phone" WiFi service from "my phone" over WiFi to make a WiFi call on carrier A.
    Yes it does work, from personal experience.

Do you have an iPhone with dual sim capability? I do.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ahaseeb View Post
    Hello,

If you have a dual sim iPhone, the trick is to use manual carrier selection and select a carrier that you know Verizon won’t roam on (for example T-Mobile in the USA). As long as Verizon WiFi calling is enabled, the call will route over SIM B’s cellular data.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    On iPhones, this has been an option for a while now. It started when iOS 13 was in beta, and the feature remained in public versions since:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ling-on-iOS-13

There is no such option on Android, yet.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    On iPhones, this has been an option for a while now. It started when iOS 13 was in beta, and the feature remained in public versions since:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ling-on-iOS-13

There is no such option on Android, yet.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    Perfect! I knew there had been some discussion.

Here’s a screenshot from my phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Yup. I went into a building VZW does not work, but T-Mobile does today.. got this:

Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    I do have a dual sim phone and have used this setup, which does provide voice service. I read the thread links and didn't see anything that indicates any WiFi calling. I thought the whole idea is to enable the free international to US WiFi calling? What am I missing?

The original thread asks: "If I travel abroad, is it possible to use Wi-Fi calling through the data on the eSIM which is a local sim ?" The answer still seems to be no, isn't it?

Edited to add: I have been reading up on this, and it seems like these type calls are VOIP service and therefore not billable by T-Mobile. So it's not WiFi, but is not chargeable as the cellular per minute roaming rate. I'm going to see what other info might be out there on this and will post anything that seems interesting to the topic.
    Last edited by daleraver; 12-31-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I do have a dual sim phone and have used this setup, which does provide voice service. I read the thread links and didn't see anything that indicates any WiFi calling. I thought the whole idea is to enable the free international to US WiFi calling? What am I missing?

The original thread asks: "If I travel abroad, is it possible to use Wi-Fi calling through the data on the eSIM which is a local sim ?" The answer still seems to be no, isn't it?

Edited to add: I have been reading up on this, and it seems like these type calls are VOIP service and therefore not billable by T-Mobile. So it's not WiFi, but is not chargeable as the cellular per minute roaming rate. I'm going to see what other info might be out there on this and will post anything that seems interesting to the topic.
    This accomplishes this

I have international data roaming flat blocked on my Verizon service, and it just uses "cellular data" to connect to Verizon from my free data T-Mobile international SIM as when roaming is flat blocked the SIM just refuses to register overseas.

I actually did this in London last week. Just used my 384k "free" international data on the T-Mobile SIM and voice/sms worked just fine via Verizon this method.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast