Thread: how to understand disadvantage of specs according to given price

Feedback Score

how to understand disadvantage of specs according to given price

In doing some online shopping, there are some smartphones (Android O.S.) with various specifications and varying prices for the devices. Here is one example seen on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Advance-S...%2C263&sr=8-37

Nice, very low price. WHY?
    The searh done was for unlocked new smartphones, so I wonder since the information on the page does not indicate if new, or used, or refurbished, what does $49 for the device mean? Is it a known low quality brand? Is there something in the specifications that should be in agreement with that low price?

I would further ask, what about how it affects which networks it could use? If it is ok for 4G LTE, and if Verizon will stop support for CDMA's, should this device be expected to actually work on the Verizon network even if the specification says, "not on CDMA/Verizon "?

Smart forum members, try to explain what I need to know or understand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    In doing some online shopping, there are some smartphones (Android O.S.) with various specifications and varying prices for the devices. Here is one example seen on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Advance-S...%2C263&sr=8-37

Nice, very low price. WHY?
    The searh done was for unlocked new smartphones, so I wonder since the information on the page does not indicate if new, or used, or refurbished, what does $49 for the device mean? Is it a known low quality brand? Is there something in the specifications that should be in agreement with that low price?

I would further ask, what about how it affects which networks it could use? If it is ok for 4G LTE, and if Verizon will stop support for CDMA's, should this device be expected to actually work on the Verizon network even if the specification says, "not on CDMA/Verizon "?

Smart forum members, try to explain what I need to know or understand.
    I have never tried one, but Blu does not have a good reputation for quality. They were more of a thing when all people were looking for was an unlocked quad-band GSM phone for voice and text. I have not heard anyone mention them in years.

With only 1 GB RAM it is a low spec phone.

I could not find detailed specs, but the Amazon specs say LTE bands 4/5/7/28. It is missing Verizon's main band 13. Bands 4 & 5 are used by AT&T and T-Mobile, but it doesn't have enough of their other bands to make it a good choice for them either.

It is very unlikely that it has Verizon VoLTE or is whitelisted by Verizon for activation.

It looks like nothing but trouble. I would give it, and other Blu phones, a hard pass.

Offhand, I can't think of an alternative in the $50 range other than short term sale deals, especially something that will work with Verizon.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    I don't know of any BLU phones that work with CDMA networks.

I do have a co-worker that uses BLU phones & he never complains.(Cricket network) The phone seems to be fairly snappy. The only thing I have noticed is that the loudspeaker is tinny/weak.