Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TF Moto G6 Bluetooth quit working

Feedback Score

TF Moto G6 Bluetooth quit working

Hello;

TF Moto G6 (XT1925DL).
    Android version 9

The Bluetooth, on my 1-month old (At&T) Moto G6, has stopped working.
    By not working, I mean when I turn it on, either from the home screen swipe-down menu or from within the settings app, it does not come on. No bluetooth icon in the notification bar or anything.
    The phone will not try to find any devices to pair with because the bluetooth never activates.

Note: the bluetooth was working until yesterday, but when I tried to turn it on....nothing.
    I usually keep it off unless I am actually using it.

I have tried the following:
    - Re-booted the phone --- unsuccessful.
    - Re-booted phone in safe mode -- unsuccessful.
    - Reset wifi, mobile, and bluetooth from settings menu -- unsuccessful.
    - Cleared bluetooth data and cache -- unsuccessful.
    - Performed factory reset -- unsuccessful.
    -Attempted to "forget" any previously paired devices, but since I did a factory reset, there were no previous devices listed.
    - Removed the SD card -- unsuccessful
    - Replaced (activated) AT&T sim card with (unactivated) Verizon sim -- unsuccessful.

I probably should mention that everything else on the phone appears to be working properly.
    Just the bluetooth stopped working.

Furthermore, when I turn on bluetooth, even though it is not working, a bluetooth address appears in the settings "about phone" menu.
    This appears normal. Just thought I would mention this just in case.

So, before getting on the phone with TF, and instigating a return, I thought I would ask if anyone knows of anything else I can try.

I really don't want to be without my phone for several weeks (or longer), as it is my only phone.

As always, thank you all in advance for your help.
    Last edited by Ribby1; 12-29-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What bluetooth devices have you tried? Is it happening with more then just one device?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    What bluetooth devices have you tried? Is it happening with more then just one device?
    Hi;

I have tried at least three different active bluetooth devices nearby.
    The G6 does not see any of them, as the G6's bluetooth radio never comes on.
    Nor do any of the three devices see the G6 to pair with.

Thank you.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know when you reset a phone, you need to reconnect the bluetooth device, and the device need to be pairing mode to get reconnect.

Does those bluetooth devices work on another device?

Feedback Score
    The Bluetooth radio should switch on. Actually connecting it to anything is secondary.

I would say that something is wrong with it. It is normal to see the address in the settings in case you need to know what it is.

But it still needs to power up.

I think you have a warranty claim. You might need to bite the bullet and get a cheap backup phone in the meantime. Sucks I know.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The Bluetooth radio should switch on. Actually connecting it to anything is secondary.
    Agree.

I think you have a warranty claim. You might need to bite the bullet and get a cheap backup phone in the meantime. Sucks I know.
    Also agree. I keep at least one usable phone around as a backup.

That said, last warranty replacement I go was shipped to me with a label to return bad phone. I did not have to return and the. Wait for them to process and then send a replacement. I may have had to give a card number to cove me not returning.

Of course that was 5+ years ago so maybe they've changed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I keep at least one usable phone around as a backup.
    Yes indeed, having a backup phone is so easy now with low prices and SIM compatibility. Just swap the SIM and you are back on in a few minutes.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The backup phone should be a DL model so you can swap in your active GSM or CDMA SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Thank you. This is exactly the problem.
    The bluetooth "on/off" menu icon darkens and lightens (with finger push), to activate/deactivate the radio.
    Unfortunately, even with the icon "on", the bluetooth radio does not activate.

I will call TF today and initiate a return.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The backup phone should be a DL model so you can swap in your active GSM or CDMA SIM.
    Good point, and fortunately many of the late model phones are DL.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    When all you lines are on the same carrier it's less of an issue. With TW all are Verizon so just something compatible. I have had to change backups though with VoLTE soon to be required.

No "GSM" used here. Then again all of us have unlocked phones anyway (mostly Motorola).

Feedback Score
    Hi;

Just an idea...

With my old LG L33L phone, I would sometime remove the battery to fix hardware issues.
    This is different from performing any type of software reset (soft, factory, etc.) because removing power actually restores (hardware latched) circuits that a software reset cannot.

So, as the Moto G6 does not have a removable battery, does anyone know of a method of physically removing power from the phone?
    I have thought about just leaving it running (without a charger connected) until the phone dies.

Thank you,

Feedback Score
    You could try that, but the battery is never allowed to run down all the way to zero.

I have another idea. There should be a way to get the phone to run a self-diagnostic. I did this on my Motos just out of curiosity, but I don't remember how I did it. It was in one of the Moto menus I think.

I will see if I can find it.

Feedback Score
    Device Help > Device Diagnosis > Hardware Test > Bluetooth

Scroll the icons by using the solid blue part of the upper screen.

You need to have something around that is transmitting so the test has something to find. I turned on the computer's Bluetooth (once I figured it out. Windows is a pain). The phone found it right away (I just did the test again).

Feedback Score
    Thank you Lisme;

I tried your suggestion, with a couple active bluetooth devices nearby, but the diagnostics reported it could not find devices.

I also tried the Moto G6 secret test code (*#*#2486#*#* from phone's dialing keypad).
    This is a really cool self test algorithm, but it also said the bluetooth was not working.

So, the phone will still be sent off for a replacement, but I am still just looking for a way to avoid sending it back.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast