Thread: International Roaming on Verizon

Feedback Score

International Roaming on Verizon

Is Verizon a provider for for folks that come to the USA from abroad? In other words, do folks with cell phones from other parts of the world default to Verizon for roaming in the USA? If yes, what service providers have a roaming agreement for roaming in the USA on Verizon?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score

International Roaming on Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Is Verizon a provider for for folks that come to the USA from abroad? In other words, do folks with cell phones from other parts of the world default to Verizon for roaming in the USA? If yes, what service providers have a roaming agreement for roaming in the USA on Verizon?
    Im not aware of any non USA carrier that allows Verizon roaming. UK, Germany, Poland, Singapore, Italy, and various other sims I’ve tested from several carriers in those countries only allow AT&T or T-Mobile roaming.

Which is mostly because they have GSM for voice as there’s generally no VoLTE roaming. Which would make Verizon data only as Verizon doesn’t have GSM voice only VoLTE or CDMA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There is no single provider like you mentioned. Check with your provider where you live to determine which cellular providers that the have roaming agreements with and confirm what carriers are supported using your phone are.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    It's only AT&T and T-Mobile, because the requirement to have compatible voice with the GSM standard. AT&T does not have GSM anymore, so the only pure GSM remains T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    It's only AT&T and T-Mobile, because the requirement to have compatible voice with the GSM standard. AT&T does not have GSM anymore, so the only pure GSM remains T-Mobile.
    Att still has HSPA which calls can be made on at least.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I don't think that At&t has shut down their GSM networks and likely won't until 2022. If I am mistaken, please post any relevant information.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I don't think that At&t has shut down their GSM networks and likely won't until 2022. If I am mistaken, please post any relevant information.
    AT&T shut down there base GSM network already back in 2016. They do have WCDMA HSPA though.

But T-Mobile is the only major carrier left with base plain GSM/GPRS

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    This link provides a few reasons why VoLTE roaming isn't common.
    I suspect that reasons 1-3 apply to Verizon and potential roaming partners.
    Obviously #4 doesn't apply to Verizon because inbound roamers are expected to be using devices with UMTS/WCDMA and Verizon phasing their CDMA network in one year.

https://blog.wedotechnologies.com/vo...-are-you-ready

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    T-Mobile MVNO (UltraMobile) offers a 3 week tourist SIM for US visitors over the T-Mobile US network. GSM, UMTS, LTE et al.

This offers our international visitors 1000 minutes of domestic talk, unlimited domestic and international messaging, 2GB’s of LTE data and unlimited-reduced speed data.

Even though these plans are managed by UltraMobile they can be purchased at T-Mobile Brand retail or T-Mobile Preferred retail establishments.

This is naturally meant to be a temporary service offering and does not allow for top-up’s or reactivation beyond the 3 week allotment.

https://www.ultramobile.com/tourist/
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Att still has HSPA which calls can be made on at least.
    Yes, if your phone was already accepted on network.
    A foreign carrier phone from Europe will start scanning for an anchor in the GSM part first, so they will receive the T-Mobile handshake first. And they will roam on that.
    My phone, in Europe roaming, starts scanning with the GSM part too.
    The fact that T-Mobile parent company is Deutsche Telekom probably also helps contractually.

Also note that UMTS/WCDMA in Europe/Asia is on different bands, (UTRA bands 1 and 8), so their phones might not even work in US bands (UTRA bands 2 and 5, or 4 in T-Mobile case).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_f...ion_(UMTS-FDD)

Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    This link provides a few reasons why VoLTE roaming isn't common.
    Obviously #4 doesn't apply to Verizon because inbound roamers are expected to be using devices with UMTS/WCDMA and Verizon phasing their CDMA network in one year.
    Verizon will shut down both their 2G (CDMA) and 3G (CDMA2000 EV-DO) networks. They never had UMTS/WCDMA.
    Since VZW 3G was never able to carry voice anyway (the DO comes from Data Only), it's irrelevant.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 01-02-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    Since Verizon does not host roamers from other countries on their network, now it is clear to me why Verizon can’t exactly match the $10 per day roaming abroad deal that is offered by ATT. Verizon’s $10 per day travel pass plan throttles data to 2g speeds if you use more that .5 GB per day, whereas with the same plan on ATT there is no throttling. I am sure this is due to bilateral roaming agreements with providers abroad that ATT has and Verizon does not.