Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: International Roaming on Verizon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Oh wow that’s painfully slow. Thank you for your response. That webpage is a little silly where it lists LTE as only 12Mbps downloads and we’re seeing way after speeds then that.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget that when 2G data networks were the norm, cell phones didn't have the same features that we have today that use large amounts of data.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Agreed. But come on it’s 2020. Get with the times. At least make it 3G speeds, or start us off at 1GB instead of 500MB a day. Anyway I don’t wanna derail the thread.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Oh wow that’s painfully slow. ......
    I've used T-Mobile's 128kbps international roaming. It's quite usable for just about anything but video streaming. Google Maps is a bit slow but you can preload maps so that they're not entirely load-on-the-fly.

Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Agreed. But come on it’s 2020. Get with the times. At least make it 3G speeds,.....
    This is a case where I'm going to say, "You get what you pay for." Data roaming is expensive for the carrier and they want to pass it on to the customer. I believe Google Fi gets high speed international roaming but you're paying a la carte for it. There are 3rd party data options.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    ATT still offers $10 per day roaming with no throttle or data limit. Verizon previously did the same about 4 years ago then the started throttling after 500mb.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I've used T-Mobile's 128kbps international roaming. It's quite usable for just about anything but video streaming. Google Maps is a bit slow but you can preload maps so that they're not entirely load-on-the-fly.
    I’ve used Safety Mode on Verizon which is also 128kbps 2G speed and OMG is it painfully slow just pulling up websites.

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This is a case where I'm going to say, "You get what you pay for." Data roaming is expensive for the carrier and they want to pass it on to the customer. I believe Google Fi gets high speed international roaming but you're paying a la carte for it. There are 3rd party data options.
    Exactly. For $10 a day it should at least be 3G speeds in 2020.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    To add to this.. historically, CDMA was used internationally in Canada and Mexico, some south american countries, S. Korea made a lot of usage of CDMA, and I think some in India. As far as I know, these could and probably did roam off Verizon Wireless back then, but AFAIK they all switched to UMTS/HSPA years ago and would have had to GSM roam after that.

Back then, if you got an "international" phone, it would CDMA roam in Canada, Mexico, etc. where available, then for GSM coverage it had a Vodafone NL (netherlands) SIM in it, and Verizon would do some call forwarding voodoo so calls would be forwarded to the NL-based number when the phone registered on a GSM network, and call forwarding cancelled when it showed back up in CDMA territory.

Geez.. i hadn't even thought of VZW likely having almost no roaming revenue from overseas, but it's true. I bet they'll be real happy when carriers a) start using VoLTE more so they are compatible. b) Band support. I think band 4 support is very common in phones, so VZW will have some compatible band at least. But having compatible low-band would help; band 13 is not a commonly supported band overseas, but having a roamer's phone support band 5 (850) would help quite a lot.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    To add to this.. historically, CDMA was used internationally in Canada and Mexico, some south american countries, S. Korea made a lot of usage of CDMA, and I think some in India. .....
    Israel (Pelephone), Japan (Au)*, Australia, Ukraine, NZ, Indonesia, etc.

I recall a considerable push by the CDMA carriers to promote CDMA international roaming. It was pretty much doomed by Europe's standardization on GSM. When Japan and S. Korea adopted WCDMA 2100, it was pretty much the nail in the coffin for CDMA roaming.

*Japan used incompatible frequency allocations.

P.S. CDG.org
    https://web.archive.org/web/20050428...x.asp?h_area=0
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 03-06-2020 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added info

Feedback Score
    All is good, GSM will be also killed soon in all the developed countries. Followed by 3G sooner after that like AT&T/Cricket or in the same step, like Verizon.

https://1ot.mobi/resources/blog/a-co...-2g-3g-sunsets

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2