Thread: Mofi 4500

Feedback Score

Mofi 4500

So my family and I just moved out into the country, in Indiana. Discovered after we moved out here that there were only two traditional methods of internet: DSL and satellite. Tried Hughesnet for a month, and paid the $400 early termination fee to get rid of them. Nuff said. I started looking for other means of internet, and found EVDO USA. Figured I'd give them a try. They sent me a Mofi 4500 on the Sprint network.

Here's the problem I'm running into now. The cell coverage on our property is all but non existent: we have verizon, and we still struggle to get a signal inside. At best, 2 bars outside, inside is 1-2 bars, if we're close to a window. I bought a Wilson home cell booster system, for $600, hoping to fix it, but the problem is that apparently, unless you're directly up against the inside antenna, you won't boost a signal. That being said, here's what I have done now, and here's the problem I'm still having.

I've set up the Wilson booster with the correct standoff distances between components. I've got the outside antenna mounted on the emitter pole of the old Hughesnet dish, with the dish pointed towards the best tower signal for Sprint that I can get. The directional antenna is pointed towards the dish, to pickup on the radiated signals, which seems to be working ok for now. When I run a band scan on the Mofi4500, my results are:

Band B25 Bw: 10MHz Main: -93 dBm Diversity -96 dBm
    Band B26 Bw: 5MHz Main: -85 dBm Diversity -80 dBm
    Band B41 No Lock/Not Available

When I'm looking at the signal strength tab under the overview on the Mofi4500 settings page, it shows under Carrier Aggregation "NOT ASSIGNED". Without knowing a lot about cell signal specifically, I'm assuming that the carrier aggregation being not assigned has to do with band 41. I'm also assuming that band 41 is going to be my high speed band, because my speed tests that I've run on multiple devices put my ping at 42-90, with the MAX download speed that I've seen under 2Mbs.

Not sure where to go from here, or if there's even a better way to work this. Figured I'd post here and see what you guys can help with figuring out what's going on.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+, ZTE Max, LG Stylo 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Instead of going through the Wilson booster, you need antennas connected directly to the mofi unit. You will get best results from band 41 if you can get a decent signal. The booster may appear to be giving strong signal, but it also amplifies and adds noise to the signal. I use a Sprint byod tablet sim in my mofi, unlimited data for $15 a month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennhop View Post
    Your signal level is pretty good. That should get you all the speed the cell is capable of. Out in the hinterlands, that may be all the cell is capable of due to limited backhaul from the cell to the network. Band 41 may not be installed on the cell.

The ping times are pretty good too.

The best speed I ever saw on my Sprint phone was 14 Mbps. That was on band 25 which was all my phone was capable of for LTE. Around home it was 1-2 Mbps on a good day.

Can you try driving with the Mofi up near the tower/cell to see what you get?

Feedback Score
    I'll try plugging the mofi in and driving closer to the towers...I'll have to wait for another weekend. According to the cell tower locator, the three closest Sprint towers have band 41 on them; I don't know if that's reliable info or not though.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You mentioned EVDO USA... assuming you mean EVDODepot USA — at any rate, they are a MVNO, which means they may not be offering the full speeds that Sprint is capable of. With the reduced signal and possibly overloaded site, 1-2 megs may be as good as it gets with them while a Sprint direct SIM (which won’t be unlimited) would be 3-4.

You honestly may be stuck... how slow is the DSL? I’d certainly take 5 (and begrudgingly 3) meg DSL since the ping times will be decent vs satellite and cellular can be sketchy — and “unlimited” is never unlimited. Also call your telco and see if they offer bonded DSL — Around here in a pathetic attempt to compete with cable (but helpful for those who can’t get it) Centurylink is offering a 2x bonded 5 meg DSL like to get you 10 megs... essentially two lines combined in a single modem to double the line speed for the same price as 5. I’m super lucky to be at the end of the Comcast line — but anyone else further out pretty much has this as the option... or satellite...

Only other suggestion, depending on your area, is to check for local WISPs... I’ve found the services around here tend to be from local ISPs or co-ops and they never advertise. Most sites are on fairly high peaks, so you might luck out there.

Aside from that that... I’m watching what Amazon and SpaceX are doing with the satellite constellations... if LEO satellites finally become a reality, that will be the solution that rural America needs for low ping but reasonably quick internet... this has been a pipe dream for over 20 years now (I remember waiting and hoping for Teledesic at my mom’s house when I was a kid) — but I think we’re finally getting close in a couple years. My parents place still only can get satellite — or a 1.5 meg T1 line for $400 a month lol

N

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score

Mofi 4500

Quote Originally Posted by Dennhop View Post
    So my family and I just moved out into the country, in Indiana. Discovered after we moved out here that there were only two traditional methods of internet: DSL and satellite. Tried Hughesnet for a month, and paid the $400 early termination fee to get rid of them. Nuff said. I started looking for other means of internet, and found EVDO USA. Figured I'd give them a try. They sent me a Mofi 4500 on the Sprint network.

Here's the problem I'm running into now. The cell coverage on our property is all but non existent: we have verizon, and we still struggle to get a signal inside. At best, 2 bars outside, inside is 1-2 bars, if we're close to a window. I bought a Wilson home cell booster system, for $600, hoping to fix it, but the problem is that apparently, unless you're directly up against the inside antenna, you won't boost a signal. That being said, here's what I have done now, and here's the problem I'm still having.

I've set up the Wilson booster with the correct standoff distances between components. I've got the outside antenna mounted on the emitter pole of the old Hughesnet dish, with the dish pointed towards the best tower signal for Sprint that I can get. The directional antenna is pointed towards the dish, to pickup on the radiated signals, which seems to be working ok for now. When I run a band scan on the Mofi4500, my results are:

When I'm looking at the signal strength tab under the overview on the Mofi4500 settings page, it shows under Carrier Aggregation "NOT ASSIGNED". Without knowing a lot about cell signal specifically, I'm assuming that the carrier aggregation being not assigned has to do with band 41. I'm also assuming that band 41 is going to be my high speed band, because my speed tests that I've run on multiple devices put my ping at 42-90, with the MAX download speed that I've seen under 2Mbs.

Not sure where to go from here, or if there's even a better way to work this. Figured I'd post here and see what you guys can help with figuring out what's going on.
    What city do you live near? If you have good atnt signal try net buddy there service cost $65 a month for unlimited. I am in the Same boat in Indiana. Atnt dsl is the best where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post
    What city do you live near? If you have good atnt signal try net buddy there service cost $65 a month for unlimited. I am in the Same boat in Indiana. Atnt dsl is the best where I live.

Netbuddy is just reselling the iPad plan which costs $35.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    OK. How do you get the unlimited iPad plan because I can’t find it on the website.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/...tm_name=iossmf

Complete step by step instructions in the link above.

Feedback Score
    There is a video on YouTube claiming you can take a SIM card from any cell phone put it in the mofi4500 and stream data using that device without the carrier knowing you're in fact teether the phone. Up until now the only way I know to get around that is just stream to the phone and then cast it to the TV.

I cannot post a link to the video because I haven't posted enough here to allow the Forum to put links in my post. I would buy the mofi4500 in a heartbeat if I knew in fact this would work and the carrier would not eventually come back to me for doing that. I currently have a ZTE Mobley with AT&T and while that works the speeds I have from AT&T are far less than what I get from Verizon. Plus I have an unlimited Verizon plan for my cell phones.

Can anyone verify that this video is providing accurate information. Moving a sim to this device without Verizon thinking you have tethered the phone would be a very desirable thing.

The video is posted by Sele Training.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jcummins; 02-21-2020 at 12:52 PM.