Thread: Total Wireless phone works fine on Tracfone

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a, Samsung A1e (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Total Wireless phone works fine on Tracfone

I may be the only person who didn't know this, but I wanted to pass some information along to the TracFone users on this forum.

I recently purchased a Samsung A10e Total Wireless branded phone on eBay. It was described as a TracFone and there was no indication of Total Wireless branding on the eBay listing.

When I received the phone in the mail, I was concerned that a Total Wireless phone would not work on TracFone. I called customer service and a very competent agent "rebranded" my phone from Total Wireless to TracFone. The transfer of the account (service time, phone minutes etc.) went very smoothly as well.

The agent assured me that my old phone (which is a Moto G7 BYOP, unlocked for all carriers) could be used for another service. I plan to switch my old phone to a Verizon postpaid plan for a friend and hopefully that will work.

I'm passing this information along that apparently any phone in the TracFone family (eg Total Wireless) can be used for TracFone service

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    I'm passing this information along that apparently any phone in the TracFone family (eg Total Wireless) can be used for TracFone service
    I think TF has allowed rebranding for about a year, which is a good thing. On Black Friday, Walmart had the Straight Talk A10e for $49 and it could be rebranded for use with Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Other then meeting some future unlocking policy, I've never understood what re-branding gets you. When I activated a TF branded phone on PP with the sim that came with the phone, I never mentioned anything about re-branding. I've always assumed re-branding only has to do with if you ever want to have it unlocked; and if you plan to always stay with a TF company it really doesn't matter. Am I missing something?
    Thx.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Other then meeting some future unlocking policy, I've never understood what re-branding gets you. When I activated a TF branded phone on PP with the sim that came with the phone, I never mentioned anything about re-branding. I've always assumed re-branding only has to do with if you ever want to have it unlocked; and if you plan to always stay with a TF company it really doesn't matter. Am I missing something?
    Thx.
    I'm wondering the same thing.

In fact, my dad activated a newly purchased TW iPhone 5s from Walmart on PPC a few years ago using the TW SIM card that came in the iPhone. 12 months after activation, I checked the unlocking website, and it was unlocked, so even not rebranding it didn't affect unlocking.

However, I don't know if that was just because it was an iPhone, if it was a fluke, or if it was considered standard procedure.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Other then meeting some future unlocking policy, I've never understood what re-branding gets you.
    It used to be that the same phones for TF subsidiaries (like Net10, Straight Talk) that use monthly plans are cheaper than their Tracfone counterparts. I think that's because those subsidiaries get more profit from the monthly plans so their phones are subsidized more. In the past, you could not buy one of those cheaper versions to use with Tracfone.

Now, with rebranding allowed, when you have a given phone model in mind, shop that mode for all subsidiaries and buy the cheapest one. For example, right now a new Moto G6 is $89.99 on TF web site, but $99.99 on Straight Talk and Simple Mobile web sites. So if you want it to use it with Straight Talk, you can buy it on TF web site for $10 less. You can do the same with other online stores.

Feedback Score
    But what does telling say Page Plus to re-brand your Total Wireless (or any other TF company) phone really accomplish ? Other then possible future unlocking, which like @boz said may not even be the case.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    But what does telling say Page Plus to re-brand your Total Wireless (or any other TF company) phone really accomplish ? Other then possible future unlocking, which like @boz said may not even be the case.
    One example is the Moto G6 is selling for $99.99 on Page Plus site, but only $89.99 on TF site. So, you can buy the TF version for $10 less and use it with Page Plus.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have switched a Tracfone MyFlip to Straight Talk and Total Wireless and even a Total Wireless G7 Optimo Maxx to Straight Talk after finding this out months ago. I found the MyFlips on clearance for $3 at a Walmart Neighborhood Market and the G7 Optimo Maxx at a Walmart on clearance for $45. It just seems like the Verizon based phones are the easiest tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    One example is the Moto G6 is selling for $99.99 on Page Plus site, but only $89.99 on TF site. So, you can buy the TF version for $10 less and use it with Page Plus.
    I totally agree that you can always get a lower price then PP on phones from other TF companies and between TF companies. But any of the phones are usable between TF companies without actually having to tell whatever company you use it on to rebrand it. Unless rebranding is just terminology and happens regardless, without even having to mention it to the CSR of whatever TF company you activate it on. Not like they're doing something special in their system (?)

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    But any of the phones are usable between TF companies without actually having to tell whatever company you use it on to rebrand it. Not like they're doing something special in their system (?)
    I think the rep has to make a change in their system. TF (the parent company) keeps track by IMEI or SIM number which phone was marketed by which subsidiary. For example, if you buy a Straight Talk phone and activate it, it will be registered in Straight Talk system, and you have to use a Straight Talk plan with it, you can't just redeem a Tracfone time card for it. However, you can contact a TF rep and tell the rep to "rebrand" it as a Tracfone, then the rep will make a change in their system to designate that IMEI or SIM number as a Tracfone phone, then you can activate it as a Tracfone, and redeem Tracfone time cards for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I have switched a Tracfone MyFlip to Straight Talk and Total Wireless and even a Total Wireless G7 Optimo Maxx to Straight Talk after finding this out months ago. I found the MyFlips on clearance for $3 at a Walmart Neighborhood Market and the G7 Optimo Maxx at a Walmart on clearance for $45. It just seems like the Verizon based phones are the easiest tho.
    A lot of Tracfone-related phones come with Verizon SIMs because TF plays favorites. Verizon is a favorite right now, likely having to do with payola. But if the phones are actually "DL" models, they can use other carriers, so that greatly expands the possibilities.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I think the rep has to make a change in their system. TF (the parent company) keeps track by IMEI or SIM number which phone was marketed by which subsidiary. For example, if you buy a Straight Talk phone and activate it, it will be registered in Straight Talk system, and you have to use a Straight Talk plan with it, you can't just redeem a Tracfone time card for it. However, you can contact a TF rep and tell the rep to "rebrand" it as a Tracfone, then the rep will make a change in their system to designate that IMEI or SIM number as a Tracfone phone, then you can activate it as a Tracfone, and redeem Tracfone time cards for it.
    The original SIM may be agnostic. But once it is activated on a particular program, it probably has to stay that way until it is rebranded.

I think others have mentioned activating a phone on a cousin brand from the get-go. The phone IMEI is listed in its original category, but the SIM can go in a different direction.

There may be a lot of cross-compatibility. I doubt if Tracfone cares as long as you are spending money. Although they would like to recoup their costs.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I was talking about an initial activation from the get-go. In that case no need to tell whatever initial cousin company you're activating with to rebrand it. I understand that if you want to later use a plan from another TF company they'd have to change something in their system (ie re-brand) to use the plan of another cousin. So bottomline, unless you're moving to another TF company from the one you activated with, no need to even mention re-branding.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I was talking about an initial activation from the get-go. In that case no need to tell whatever initial cousin company you're activating with to rebrand it.
    In the past if you tried to activate the wrong brand online/automated phone it won't work. You'd have to contact a CSR to get it moves in the system go the correct brand (aka rebrand).

Maybe that's changed, but I doubt it.

We've called it rebranding as it makes the phone be treated like it was another brand instead of the one it was sold as.

Particularly matters for Verizon as you have to give IMEI. Plug a ST IMEI in on the TF activation page and it won't work. Call and they can rebrand it as TF and complete the activation.

ATT/TMO you could just use BYOP SIM (which wouldn't count towards unlocking later) but not with Verizon.

Verizon SIMs have been the same across brands* since the first LTE device are allowed but ATT AND TMO SIMs were different with each brand.

*not PP when first acquired, but eventually they switched to the same SIM or at least could use the SIMs from other TF companies.