Thread: Good "Burner" App, or other option?

Feedback Score

Good "Burner" App, or other option?

More and more, sites are demanding a phone number to set up access. Not long ago, the dating site Plenty of Fish which I use blocked my account & demanded a phone number, claiming this was for "my security." Yeah, right, they only care about ME. Uhuh. Nothing at all to do with just getting more info so they can WEASEL something. Yesterday I attempted to set up a new anonymous gmail account to comment on something on Youtube. Was going to use a Proton email address for verification (these emails are completely anonymous), but NO, they need a PHONE NUMBER, again TO PROTECT ME. I do have 2 GV accounts, but they are tied to Gmails I've had for awhile, so not truly anon. BTW, tried to use a GV account for the POF verification; they'd have none of that, and somehow recognized this wasn't a "real" phone number. Finally got them to back off & just send the verification to the email I've had on that account since setting it up. Any recommendations for dealing with this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCalling View Post
    More and more, sites are demanding a phone number to set up access. Not long ago, the dating site Plenty of Fish which I use blocked my account & demanded a phone number, claiming this was for "my security." Yeah, right, they only care about ME. Uhuh. Nothing at all to do with just getting more info so they can WEASEL something. Yesterday I attempted to set up a new anonymous gmail account to comment on something on Youtube. Was going to use a Proton email address for verification (these emails are completely anonymous), but NO, they need a PHONE NUMBER, again TO PROTECT ME. I do have 2 GV accounts, but they are tied to Gmails I've had for awhile, so not truly anon. BTW, tried to use a GV account for the POF verification; they'd have none of that, and somehow recognized this wasn't a "real" phone number. Finally got them to back off & just send the verification to the email I've had on that account since setting it up. Any recommendations for dealing with this?
    I use TextFree/Pinger for such things to keep my real numbers from becoming public. I have had it for years and it works well. It is a free VOIP and text service. As such, it may not be "real" enough for some places. IIRC, GV and Yahoo won't accept it as an account recovery number.

Being free, it does come with a usage requirement. I think it is one completed outgoing call of a minute or more a month.

You can earn calling minutes by watching video ads. It is one or two minutes for each ~30 second ad. You can also buy minutes - $2 for 100 minutes and up.

I set the app to go straight to voicemail without ringing the phone. It notifies of new voicemails.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Can't help wondering who these entities KNOW the nature of any given phone number (ie, doesn't meet their crap peddling parasite criteria... )

Feedback Score
    ** not yet read any replies for the topic **

Maybe if you are ok with it, buy a cheap basic phone and setup cheap temporary service and phone number, PREPAID, and this should last you for a few weeks. Meanwhile, use THAT as your needed-at-the-moment real cell phone number for the website verification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    ** not yet read any replies for the topic **

Maybe if you are ok with it, buy a cheap basic phone and setup cheap temporary service and phone number, PREPAID, and this should last you for a few weeks. Meanwhile, use THAT as your needed-at-the-moment real cell phone number for the website verification.
    This may be a good solution. They seems to need to verify locations through a working phone number.

Feedback Score
    I'm looking at getting a "burner" phone or number, too, to give to businesses, for "two-factor authentication," etc. Currently my "real" phone number doesn't seem to be on too many spam lists and I want to keep it that way, so I don't want too many places to have my number (for when they get hacked...).

Is something free like Google Voice secure enough to use for two-factor authentication for sensitive things like banking? I've had a Skype number before (when living overseas, so family in the U.S. had a local number to call to reach me) and it was okay. I don't want to have to spend a ton on this; I just don't have the extra cash. What's the best/cheapest option that, if not a separate phone with its own service, could ideally be forwarded to my "real" phone number (inc. text messages), without me having to download an app on the phone? I'd consider reputable/non-shady VOIP, or a cheap burner phone with a plan. (My provider on my "real" number is PagePlus so ideally I'd stay with them for a burner phone too, though I'd consider MetroPCS if cheap as I already have a MetroPCS phone that is currently largely unused.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
    I'm looking at getting a "burner" phone or number, too,....
    (My provider on my "real" number is PagePlus so ideally I'd stay with them for a burner phone too, though I'd consider MetroPCS if cheap as I already have a MetroPCS phone that is currently largely unused.)
    Do you really believe MetroPCS is low enough priced to use as the service for a burner phone? Do you want one month, or do you want three months? You are the only one who knows what price is acceptable for the plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Do you really believe MetroPCS is low enough priced to use as the service for a burner phone? Do you want one month, or do you want three months? You are the only one who knows what price is acceptable for the plan.
    I can't recall what my mom was paying, but it seems like I looked into it at the time and they had a pretty cheap plan. I need it indefinitely, not for a month or two, as it seems there's always yet another business who wants my phone number and of course two-factor authentication is forever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
    I can't recall what my mom was paying, but it seems like I looked into it at the time and they had a pretty cheap plan. I need it indefinitely, not for a month or two, as it seems there's always yet another business who wants my phone number and of course two-factor authentication is forever.
    Other carriers are available with lower priced plans than MetroPCS/T-Mobil. (But Metro is one that has some storefront stores).

Feedback Score
    You can get as many phone numbers as you would like from voip.ms. Canadian and U.S. phone numbers are less than US$1/month.

As for using an alias to comment on YouTube videos, YouTube does allow you to create multiple channels. This allows you create multiple aliases.