Thread: Any Way to use PPC in Canada?

Feedback Score

Any Way to use PPC in Canada?

Heading to Canada for several days, read everything I could find and it looks like I would need to get a phone just for Canada? I'm I missing a way to use my existing PPC phone and service there?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkcellular View Post
    Heading to Canada for several days, read everything I could find and it looks like I would need to get a phone just for Canada? I'm I missing a way to use my existing PPC phone and service there?
    Whether or not you can use you phone in Canada depends on your phone.

You can NOT use your PPC service in Canada.

If you have an unlocked phone, you can get a T-Mobile Prepaid data plan to use in Canada with a Google Voice # + Hangouts for calls and messaging.

2GB costs $10. See: https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet

Depending on how quickly you need it, you can either get the SIM card from an eBay seller or pay a little more to get one from T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Thank you kindly for your reply, Boz1. I suspected as much.

If I use my PagePlus phone and existing SIM for wifi only when I'm there, I assume there's no chance of incurring roaming or other unexpected charges.

BTW, with the new Google Voice app you don't need Hangouts. I'm going to try to get by with just that but it's a different phone number so I haven't figured out yet how to know when someone is trying to call/text me on my main PagePlus number.

Feedback Score

If I use my PagePlus phone and existing SIM for wifi only when I'm there, I assume there's no chance of incurring roaming or other unexpected charges.

BTW, with the new Google Voice app you don't need Hangouts. I'm going to try to get by with just that but it's a different phone number so I haven't figured out yet how to know when someone is trying to call/text me on my main PagePlus number.
    Correct, to the best of my knowledge.

I've used a GV # since 2009. GV #s have been my only phone #s since March, 2017, and I've used them over LTE and WiFi data only since then.

The GV app is not yet as good as Hangouts for me for that usage, so that's why I mentioned Hangouts. I use a similar T-Mobile SIM to what I mentioned above when I'm in Canada, and since I ONLY use my GV #s over data ONLY, since it includes LTE data in Canada, I have no interruption in service while I'm in Canada for a few days every few weeks.

But you're correct that the GV app for temporary use over WiFi in Canada or anywhere in the world that you have WiFi service will probably work just as well.

You can set your PPC # to forward all calls to your GV #. I've never done it, but see https://www.pagepluscellular.com/pla...all_Forwarding for instructions.

I don't know of a way to forward texts sent to your PPC #. Text forwarding was recently discussed at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ext-forwarding, but I don't think there are any viable solutions for you since your PPC phone won't have service in Canada.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Call forwarding works on Page Plus and any mvno. I was forwarding my calls directly to Google voice number. I think it's *72 then 1 plus your Google voice number. Good thing is that your phone does not have to be turned on for it to work.

*71 to cancel

Keep in mind, it uses your page plus minutes/service. Not a big deal unless you are on the standard paygo plan.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

With the GV app, calls and texts to the GV number will go to the GV app. Calls and texts to the PP number will go to the phone apps. Try both and learn how the incoming notifications look different.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    To further clarify what bobdevnul posted, you can choose to take your voice calls using the GV app, if you've got a full-time always-on data connection (whether cellular or Wi-Fi) that you want to use for that purpose. The GV app is capable of it, but the results (call quality) can vary, even in comparison to Hangouts. You can still forward incoming calls to your cell number.