Thread: CellMapper, band 71 and the Moto G7 Power?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

CellMapper, band 71 and the Moto G7 Power?

We have finally gotten a few band 71 towers in my county and I've started using CellMapper again to map any new ones that come along. However, there seems to be a small problem using CellMapper on my G7 Power in my area: If the phone's running on band 2, it lists only band 2 towers, same for band 66. I've only seen band 71 flash up briefly when very near a known band 71 tower and then without the full MNC information. It looks like the phone is reluctant to do any carrier aggregation, even though they're supposed to do 2-way aggregation.

Has anyone else been mapping T-Mobile's signals using CellMapper on a G7 Power or Play and noticed this (or the opposite) behavior?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I sometimes have similar issues on B12/B71. The majority of the time that I'm connected, it is B4 + B2 or B2 + B4. If a site is either heavily loaded I will see all 3 channels, and it will end up with B71 as primary. Often, I've just forced B71 and removed others for cellmapper tracking purposes.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I wish I knew of a way to force bands on the Moto G7 Power.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I wish I knew of a way to force bands on the Moto G7 Power.
    Why? You know about carrier aggregation unlike most of the people here that don’t have a clue about carrier aggregation. Why disable a phone ability to get the best performance especially in Gulfport MS that just got 600 MHz.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Why? You know about carrier aggregation unlike most of the people here that don’t have a clue about carrier aggregation. Why disable a phone ability to get the best performance especially in Gulfport MS that just got 600 MHz.
    To aid in mapping that new 600 MHz. If the phone is locked onto bands 66 & 2 it won't be trying to hold band 71 to map the extent of its coverage.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    To aid in mapping that new 600 MHz. If the phone is locked onto bands 66 & 2 it won't be trying to hold band 71 to map the extent of its coverage.
    Cellmapper can see all the network bands on a tower as you drive by a tower on your phones network and capture all those bands information. Your cellphone is always scanning for better signals on different bands, which is the information that Cellmapper gets from the application interface in your phone. If your phone was Not scanning all the times then Carrier Aggregation wouldn’t work and you would drop a lot of calls as you drive away from a tower range. Go to Cellmapper Facebook page on their Community tab and ask them to explain it since they love to help people understand how Cellmapper works.

The biggest thing you can do in mappings a area with Cellmapper is give them data from a 270 degree view around the tower to fix the location. If there is a large body of water near a tower then it could need a 360 degree view to fix the location of the tower.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 12-26-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is what I did to map B71 around here. I locked the LTE bands to only B71 and disabled 3G. ...And it's pretty disappointing how paltry the B71 coverage is in much of South Orange County. Not usable on its own.

Even pairing with B2 and B12 left too many holes. W/o 4/66 LTE is far from "complete." I recognize it never will be even with all the bands.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    On LG phones, you can force technology , and select band/bands. Many areas won't use B12/B71 (in SoCal) as part of Carrier Aggregation unless 'needed'. Typically what I see as 'needed' is more of signal or capacity (RSRQ).

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This is the point of my question. On the G7 Power, the CellMapper cell information screen generally shows cells of all the same band (five band 66 or six band 2 but not a combination of bands). This is not the same behavior it exhibited on my Avant. I've only seen band 71 flash up briefly before disappearing. At lest in the local area.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / Play (Poland)
    Feedback Score
    I have a Nokia 6.1 and I was mapping in Poland. Polish carrier that I was mapping there uses 1/3/7/20. My 6.1 is missing B1, but my cells show up with 1* and it says that it is estimated that it is there. So Interestingly even not having that support, Cellmapper knew that it is there!

Feedback Score
    Band 66 is so slow on the coast getting terrible speeds on it, why even deploy it if its not going to help with speeds.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Will228 View Post
    Band 66 is so slow on the coast getting terrible speeds on it, why even deploy it if its not going to help with speeds.
    What makes you think it won't help ? I have hit +32Mbps on B12 / B71 alone.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have since moved on from Tmobile, but when I was a customer a few months back and band 71 was rolling out, I noticed something.
    It seems that even though band 71 had been deployed in many areas I frequent including my home, my phone would barely if ever use it. It would rather hold onto another band till its dying breath before attempting to connect to band 71. I was told that band 71 would not be a priority band and I kind've concluded that its purpose was to alleviate network congestion and maybe give some additional bandwidth for 5g deployment.
    This is a shame because Tmobile, apparently now has great ability to do better building penetration and longer range coverage, but are just not taking advantage of it. Instead they would rather default to older less efficient bands to do the main task.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    I have since moved on from Tmobile, but when I was a customer a few months back and band 71 was rolling out, I noticed something.
    It seems that even though band 71 had been deployed in many areas I frequent including my home, my phone would barely if ever use it. It would rather hold onto another band till its dying breath before attempting to connect to band 71. I was told that band 71 would not be a priority band and I kind've concluded that its purpose was to alleviate network congestion and maybe give some additional bandwidth for 5g deployment.
    This is a shame because Tmobile, apparently now has great ability to do better building penetration and longer range coverage, but are just not taking advantage of it. Instead they would rather default to older less efficient bands to do the main task.
    I suspect that this is more of 'network management' than anything. I do hit B71 (did this morning at Sprouts) and ~189Mbps. That being said, I do typically hit B12/B71 more often as a 'as needed' rather than a 'as I desire' approach. By default, my phone will run CA on B4 (20x20) and B2 (10x10) almost all of the time. I will have B4/B2/B12 (or B4/B2/B71) when a site is heavily congested (eg. 99% of the time on Railroad ave in Newhall). In some areas of north Santa Clarita, it is actually bad to have B12 as the primary, as it will miss on almost all of the metrocell omnis that are B4/B2... this also happened this morning.
    Do I still have good/usable service - yes.
    Would I switch to AT&T.. possibly - they're just too expensive right now, and I see no benefit. In my area, T-Mobile has about 50% more cell sites than AT&T, and coverage is good. Rural areas are still an issue.