Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Comcast merger?

Feedback Score
    "Sounds to me like you guys a couple of bookies." --Billy Ray Valentine

The house ALWAYS wins.

Device(s)
    S9+ Unlocked US, Verizon Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9 + (T-Mobile), Verizon Samsung S7, S8+ Duos (Intl), S7 Edge International Gold (Un
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    Could be worse!!!! Frontier could merge with T-Mobile.
    Now that is truly frightening, I ran from Frontier billing issues to Comcast....

Sent from my SM-G930V using HoFo mobile app
    =========================
    Dave

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davegtestr View Post
    Now that is truly frightening, I ran from Frontier billing issues to Comcast....

Sent from my SM-G930V using HoFo mobile app
    I’m not a Comcast lover by any means, but their service and billing practices are much more better.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score

Comcast merger?

Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    There is no plan merger between T-Mobile/Sprint and Comcast. Back in 2015 T-Mobile and DT hired a firm my the name of McKinsey & Company for recommendation in the future for T-Mobile. McKinsey and Company were wrong on many predictions. Comcast has showed no interest in buying T-Mobile or Sprint ... This is this historic marketing plan. https://youtu.be/8-pV6nqm0lc
    Yes I agree, these were strategic plans provided by third-party consultants several years ago. According to the SMT they have been following the strategy mostly successfully. The Comcast strategy was a way of stating that T-Mobile needed a connection a company with a good cash flow.

Also, is Comcast really as terrible as they used to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If T Mobile USA can not get a court of law to sign off on the Sprint merger then the Comcast merger is dead on arrival since I am sure the states will sue again to block this merger on the ground of eliminating a competitor from the wireless market.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Comcast could probably spin off the MVNO operation beforehand. There's then be no conflict.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Comcast could probably spin off the MVNO operation beforehand. There's then be no conflict.
    I doubt the states would be satisfied and would still sue to block a Comcast merger. In addition I do not know who would buy their MVNO division besides Verizon Wireless and I can tell you that would be a no go from regulators and states. If T Mobile USA and Sprint can not convince a court of law they should be allowed to merge I do not see them being able to convince a court of law allowing them to merger with Comcast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    I doubt the states would be satisfied and would still sue to block a Comcast merger. In addition I do not know who would buy their MVNO division besides Verizon Wireless and I can tell you that would be a no go from regulators and states. If T Mobile USA and Sprint can not convince a court of law they should be allowed to merge I do not see them being able to convince a court of law allowing them to merger with Comcast.
    Yea, but they are not the same. A vertical merger hasn't been blocked in ages. A vertical merger faces much less opposition. That's why comparing the at&t time Warner deal to the Sprint tmobile deal is impossible. 2 completely different types of mergers. We have a recent Court ruling on a vertical merger, that was in support of the merger, if the TMobile case makes it to the judges decision, we will soon have a recent Court decision on a horizontal merger as well.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Yea, but they are not the same. A vertical merger hasn't been blocked in ages. A vertical merger faces much less opposition. That's why comparing the at&t time Warner deal to the Sprint tmobile deal is impossible. 2 completely different types of mergers. We have a recent Court ruling on a vertical merger, that was in support of the merger, if the TMobile case makes it to the judges decision, we will soon have a recent Court decision on a horizontal merger as well.
    True but it still let's the big get even bigger

Look what happened to the att prices not long after the merger

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    True but it still let's the big get even bigger

Look what happened to the att prices not long after the merger
    Yea, but raising prices doesn't necessarily make a merger illegal. There is now a recent Court precedent on a vertical merger, we haven't had one in ages, and really, nothing changed. Sometimes lawyers will take something to court to get a more recent ruling on something to use as precedent, this appears to be what happened with the DOJ opposing At&t/Time Warner. The DOJ wanted a modern ruling on a vertical merger case, to test the waters on how strict they can actually be on them, the last time they got a Court ruling on one was in the 70's, which they also lost. This one didn't turn out any better for them either, as not much has changed. A Comcast/TMobile tie up would likely be easier to pass than the Sprint/TMobile tie up, just due to the types of mergers they are. The judge also was pretty harsh on the DOJ even bringing the time Warner deal to court, I'm not sure the DOJ, or any states, would attempt to fight a vertical merger in court anytime soon.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The problem for Comcast is they are a wireless company and are a competitor to T Mobile USA. The states would argue they are buying Comcast to eliminate one of their competitors in the wireless market. In addition we are assuming that Comcast is even interested in buying and running a wireless company which they have no experience in running. I am sure that Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint will come out against the merger since they do not want the cable companies force bundling customers to T Mobile USA for cheaper prices. I see a huge court battle if T Mobile and Comcast try to merge.

Feedback Score
    The problem for Comcast is they are a wireless company and are a competitor to T Mobile USA. The states would argue they are buying Comcast to eliminate one of their competitors in the wireless market. In addition we are assuming that Comcast is even interested in buying and running a wireless company which they have no experience in running. I am sure that Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint will come out against the merger since they do not want the cable companies force bundling customers to T Mobile USA for cheaper prices. I see a huge court battle if T Mobile and Comcast try to merge.
    But they're not a wireless company, they arent a MNO. Tmobile owning layer 3 would likely provide more issues for a hypothetical merger over Comcast owning an mvno. Comcast owns no wireless infrastructure as far as I know. With as harsh as the judge was with the DOJ in the last vertical merger case, I doubt the states attempt it. We also can't look past that the judges ruling in that case was also held up in appellate court. I can't see a state, or even the DOJ, attempting to bring a vertical merger case before a judge anytime soon.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    But they're not a wireless company, they arent a MNO. Tmobile owning layer 3 would likely provide more issues for a hypothetical merger over Comcast owning an mvno. Comcast owns no wireless infrastructure as far as I know. With as harsh as the judge was with the DOJ in the last vertical merger case, I doubt the states attempt it. We also can't look past that the judges ruling in that case was also held up in appellate court. I can't see a state, or even the DOJ, attempting to bring a vertical merger case before a judge anytime soon.
    I disagree and I am sure the states suing to block the merger would disagree as well. Comcast sells wireless service in their market using the MVNO deal they had in place when both companies Comcast and Time Warner Cable sold their wireless spectrum to Verizon Wireless. That fact is going to be a huge problem for them since they sell wireless service and provide competition to the big four wireless carriers in their market. In addition if Charter Communications joins Comcast in a partnership so they both can use T Mobile USA that brings additional concerns that they could use their combined power anti competitively with bundling.

Feedback Score
    I disagree and I am sure the states suing to block the merger would disagree as well. Comcast sells wireless service in their market using the MVNO deal they had in place when both companies Comcast and Time Warner Cable sold their wireless spectrum to Verizon Wireless. That fact is going to be a huge problem for them since they sell wireless service and provide competition to the big four wireless carriers in their market. In addition if Charter Communications joins Comcast in a partnership so they both can use T Mobile USA that brings additional concerns that they could use their combined power anti competitively with bundling.
    The anti competitive bundling argument didn't hold any water in the last vertical merger court case. Hard to go back into court, and argue the same thing again when a judge already ruled on that. If they wanted to try to use the Comcast as a competitor reason, Comcast does not provide national service, nor do they directly compete with tmobile. Their business model is set up to where you must be a Comcast customer in order to use their wireless service. If they felt their mvno deal would be an issue, they'd just dump it to someone like TracFone, their mvno deal is a money loser for them anyways, I doubt they would have much issues with getting rid of it to become a MNO. If they wanted to merge with TMobile, not much stands in the way. We have a modern ruling on a vertical merger, that was held up in appellate court. States, or even the DOJ, can't just keep suing the same thing over and over again, when there has been a ruling on it. Judges frown on that.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The anti competitive bundling argument didn't hold any water in the last vertical merger court case. Hard to go back into court, and argue the same thing again when a judge already ruled on that. If they wanted to try to use the Comcast as a competitor reason, Comcast does not provide national service, nor do they directly compete with tmobile. Their business model is set up to where you must be a Comcast customer in order to use their wireless service. If they felt their mvno deal would be an issue, they'd just dump it to someone like TracFone, their mvno deal is a money loser for them anyways, I doubt they would have much issues with getting rid of it to become a MNO. If they wanted to merge with TMobile, not much stands in the way. We have a modern ruling on a vertical merger, that was held up in appellate court.
    It does not matter if they do not provide national service all that matters is that they provide wireless service in their service territory and by allowing the merger you are eliminating a wireless competitor in the markets Comcast serves. In addition this kind of merger gets complicated since Comcast and Charter Communication's have an agreement to work together on wireless service so I would imagine both companies would have to agree to such a purchase and then you get anti trust concerns if that happens since they are the top two cable companies in the United States. Which would give them the market power to undercut all of their competitors pricing with bundling. So this would be a complicated matter for the courts to rule on.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast