Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any recommendations for inexpensive, but reliabile phones?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Patiently waiting for clearance pricing on the G7 Power when the Moto G8 line is released. Looked at the G7 Play, but that notch is HUGE.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Patiently waiting for clearance pricing on the G7 Power when the Moto G8 line is released. Looked at the G7 Play, but that notch is HUGE.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app
    Love my G7 Power but you'll really notice that the antenna is definitely on the weak side if you spend any time in your carriers fringe areas. I usually switch phones if I'm gonna be in areas that I know have a bad At&t signal. Kinda sucks cuz the G7 Power was almost the perfect budget phone for my uses. It's always something!!!

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know this is not an unlocked model, but I got the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx which is the same as the Moto G7 Power a few months back for $45 because a Walmart had them on clearance already. I have been waiting to switch to it because I did not know that Google removed Miracast till i got this G7 Optimo Maxx. If I can get Miracast back easy, I would use it.

Feedback Score
    I have that phone and love its longer battery life as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I have the Moto G7 Power and love it. Mostly because I can go days without having to charge it.
    Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Ya know, for your uses I would seriously consider picking up a brand new or slightly used unlocked Moto E4 for under $100.00. The E4 has great voice quality and is nice and compact. I slid my Freeup sim in my E4 the other day and have been really enjoying carrying it as a second line. It just does everything well which is more then I can say for all my newer Motos. It's also amazing how nice the E4 is to carry compared to the beastly Moto G7 Power.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies! The E5 play that I had seems to be doing better; that first day of bad voice quality may have been a fluke. I guess I am sticking with it for now, but will be on the look out for great deals for something that may suit my needs better.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unless one plans on keeping a phone more than 2 years (after 2021), I'd absolutely make sure the device is capable of volte. At the moment att is very stingy about which devices they'll activate volte on, but I suspect as we get closer to the 3g sunset date, they'll start allowing more compatible devices on.

Feedback Score
    >I suspect as we get closer to the 3g sunset date, they'll start allowing more compatible devices on.

Won't happen for cheap unlocked phones on AT&T, which is what OP wants. AT&T won't let on older models even if they're VoLTE-capable, because they're not certified on AT&T and will never be. It will just offer low-end AT&T-branded phones as an affordable option, as it does now.

Whatever cheap (non-AT&T-branded) phone OP gets, it'll have to be junked for AT&T in probably less than 2 years when VoLTE becomes mandatory across the board. Same story as 3G now, except that grace period IMO will be shorter. Likewise with Sprint, as nobody knows what form Sprint will end up in, with or without the merger, let alone its phones. I doubt many phones have "official" Sprint VoLTE now.

The point is "unlocked" phones won't be very functional in the near future, as they won't be certified for silo'ed carrier services (VoLTE, 5G). Except of course for iPhones and a handful of flagships. To change this, it will take strong consumer advocacy action to mandate some laws for phone compatibility. At the moment, that doesn't exist under the Repub aegis. As shown in the merger trial, the feds are now hand-in-glove with the carriers.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Any recommendations for inexpensive, but reliabile phones?

You know, one could have written all that without the leftist pearl-clutching at the end.

What e.mote fails to metntion is this: There is competition that provides what you want.

Verizon and T-Mobile are very friendly to unlocked phones and VoLTE usually works fine on most compatible phones with the right LTE bands.

No one is forced to buy service from AT&T or Sprint, and low end iPhones can be had for as much as a cheap Android if you really need service from one of the two, and they are 100% universal across all major carriers.

There are options, just not the ones some people feel they are entitled to.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    >You know, one could have written all that without the leftist pearl-clutching at the end.

Not sure how stating the obvious is "leftist" or rightist--that the feds are on the same side as the carriers. It's not political, so don't try to steer it into one.

>What e.mote fails to metntion is this: There is competition that provides what you want.

Sounds nice in theory, except in areas where there's no other coverage except AT&T.

>Verizon and T-Mobile are very friendly to unlocked phones and VoLTE usually works fine on most compatible phones with the right LTE bands.

T-Mo is "friendly" because up to now it's trying to catch up to the Big Two. If the merger goes through, it'll be on the same footing, and once the merger-mandated honeymoon period is over, don't expect any more niceties.

I would not say Verizon is "very friendly" considering all the VoLTE troubles people here (and presumably elsewhere) have had. Compatible handsets are still a handful.

>No one is forced to buy service from AT&T or Sprint

Not Sprint, but for AT&T, see above.

>low end iPhones can be had for as much as a cheap Android if you really need service from one of the two, and they are 100% universal across all major carriers.

Seriously? You're saying "low-end" iPhones are the solution to all this?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @E.mote, you may or may not be correct. I do think it's highly unlikely att (and by extension att mvno's) will want to lose those customers not using att certified devices. It'll be a cold day in hell when I use another carrier branded device. I feel similarly about apple products, but that's beside the point in the context of this thread .

Oneplus 7T works quite well on volte even though it's not a certified att device. It took some nonsense to get it on volte, but that's just att bs.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    It's not political
    >Repub aegis

Enough said.

Sounds nice in theory, except in areas where there's no other coverage except AT&T.
    No one forces anyone to live in NIMBYland or so far out in the sticks that only one carrier works. If you do, then expect your options to be limited. Where 95% of the American population lives, there is competition. This is a crutch used by people with no other argument. If you choose to live somewhere where there is no competition among services, expect to pay more for whatever services are available.

T-Mo is "friendly" because up to now it's trying to catch up to the Big Two. If the merger goes through, it'll be on the same footing, and once the merger-mandated honeymoon period is over, don't expect any more niceties.
    Pure leftist corporate-hate speculation. But nice try.

I would not say Verizon is "very friendly" considering all the VoLTE troubles people here (and presumably elsewhere) have had. Compatible handsets are still a handful.
    There are literally hundreds.

>No one is forced to buy service from AT&T or Sprint

Not Sprint, but for AT&T, see above.
    Again, an edge case so unimportant it's negligible. If only one carrier works at home, that's what Wi-Fi calling is for. I mean, assuming one can afford to spend $50 on a phone. I get that many people feel entitled to spend less and get all the premium features, but remember once we drive out of the gated community and away from the NIMBYs, all the carriers work again so one can just use their landline or Wi-Fi calling when they're at home.

Seriously? You're saying "low-end" iPhones are the solution to all this?
    They're always 100% compatible on all 4 networks and most major MVNOs. And if you buy one through a prepaid carrier you can get them for next to nothing, usually about the same as whatever 2nd lowest tier Android garbage they're hocking. You get what you pay for.

And remember kids, right now, today, December 30, 2019, 3G voice on AT&T is still working fine. This is bellyaching that a $20 bargain bin unlocked Chinese Android might not be able to make calls in a few years. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

Want something that's future proof? Buy a compatible phone, any compatible phone, they're everywhere.

Want something that's going to be compatible for years? Get a cheap branded phone from the carrier.

Want something that's going to be compatible for years across all carriers? Get an iPhone or a mid-tier or above Android. Might have to spend a little more than $20, but I get that it's a bridge too far for many people to spend a couple hundred bucks on what basically equates to a pocket sized supercomputer from a decade or so ago that has internet and telephone connectivity to connect to the entire world.

The entitlement is insane.

Feedback Score
    >I do think it's highly unlikely att (and by extension att mvno's) will want to lose those customers not using att certified devices.

You're thinking like a techie, that if a phone is capable, it should be allowed. From a business perspective, it's a bad idea because the business has to support what it allows, and support costs are always significant. Certification serves a purpose, to test and make sure a phone works on a network, thus mitigating support. The cynics among us, myself included, would say that carrier certification is a way for them to extract their pound of flesh from handset sales. That's true enough, but it's also true that certs are needed.

That, and the economic reality of phones being treated as more or less disposable, especially at the lower end. Ongoing manufacturer support is minimal for "older" phones. I've never heard of old phones being (re)submitted for certification. There are already more important considerations, such as security patches, and are going unmet for older phones.

Anyway, it's a small number who insist on "unlocked" phones. You and I, and some folks here, are in a tiny minority. Carrier compatibility is hardly ever mentioned in phone reviews. AFAICT, people buy whatever phone to work if they move to a new carrier/provider.

>Oneplus 7T works quite well on volte even though it's not a certified att device.

OnePlus 7T is a flagship, and while it's reportedly a good value, it won't ever be cheap. But yes, I think there'll be technical solutions for those in the loop, like here, at least for VoLTE. It's a good possibility that universals like the Motos will make the effort to include AT&T VoLTE cert once it's mandatory. But it won't include older phones.

Googling on "AT&T VoLTE [phone model]", apparently some 2019 models do work with AT&T VoLTE (but not wifi-calling), including Moto G7. It's on a case-by-case basis. Still, the bigger picture is that we're entirely at the carriers' mercy as to what phones are supported. Ex: Pixel 4 eSIM is supported by AT&T, but Pixel 3/3a isn't, which means it will likely never be. Verizon still won't support any non-iPhone eSIM. T-Mo is similar. That won't change until the carriers are forced to. Competition can't manage that.

Anyway, let me take the opportunity to wish you and the regulars here a happy and healthy new year. I'll add my wish that the Sprint/T-Mo merger will fail, and the 4-carrier competition is preserved, however messy it will be for Sprint in the short term.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @E.Mote, for better or worse we'll revisit this topic in 2 years

Re support, with byod it's minimal at best with most carriers and entities. IE, many isp's allow you to bring your own cable modem, but when it comes to any issues it's the first thing they point the finger at. So I don't really expect much support.

I don't know if you follow the cricket forum, but i've had 2 tickets in now to disable CCF. Both failed. All they do is reset the voicemail forwarding number. It can be done (and was done a year ago). The only difference is before there was no imei (never provided them with one) but now there's an iphone imei in one system (to get volte) and 7t in another (provided by network when phone signs on). I suspect having this mismatch between 2 systems might be the cause. At this point I can live with it as getting a spam call on the carrier # is no different than getting it on the gv #. I don't answer unknown calls anyway.

Happy & healthy new year to everyone as well. I'm sure the new year will bring more surprises in the cellphone world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2