Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: What will a plan b look like if no sprint?

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Why would they offer those? Are they having issues with people signing up for magenta plans as currently constructed? I mean, imagine if they had no depri limits, offered unlimited high speed hotspot, and gave you a free car and only charged $25 a month for service. Would be great. Why would they though.
    Agreed. Besides, who other than we nerdy HoFo'ers even care about this stuff? Very few customers (according to T-Mo) ever hit the 50GB limit anyway. Why would T-Mo lift these limits to encourage the ~1% of users who hit the limit to use even more data? I'll be happy with less congestion so the (comparitively) little data I use actually works every time I need it.

Besides, T-Mo plans on offering fixed internet plans with their extra spectrum from the merger. Raising or eliminating limits on mobile data use would sabotage that offering by cannibalizing any potential fixed internet customers. I suspect HD video and "unlimited high speed" (or at least a ridiculously large data bucket before throttling kicks in) will be the carrot to encourage consumers to subscribe to fixed internet service.

If you can get essentially the same service by adding an extra hotspot line to your mobile account for $20/month to use at home, who's going to pay $50 (or whatever) for T-Mo's fixed internet service?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Why would they offer those? Are they having issues with people signing up for magenta plans as currently constructed? I mean, imagine if they had no depri limits, offered unlimited high speed hotspot, and gave you a free car and only charged $25 a month for service. Would be great. Why would they though.
    You do realize I'm talking about AFTER the merger when they have all this new spectrum. If they refuse to up their plans even though they've greatly increased the amount of spectrum they have how are the the "un-carrier" that is concerned with offering value to the consumer? They would be no different that the other 2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Agreed. Besides, who other than we nerdy HoFo'ers even care about this stuff? Very few customers (according to T-Mo) ever hit the 50GB limit anyway.
    it's about not having a phone data plan and a cable data plan. It's about telling the cable company bye bye or forcing them to lower pricing. Isn't that what the "un-carrier" is all about? And I will add that if they intend on keeping the staus quo then I am no longer for the merger.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    it's about not having a phone data plan and a cable data plan. It's about telling the cable company bye bye or forcing them to lower pricing. Isn't that what the "un-carrier" is all about? And I will add that if they intend on keeping the staus quo then I am no longer for the merger.
    LOL as if the judge cares what you or me or anyone thinks about the merger. However I am for Verizon and AT&T raising the cost of their service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You do realize I'm talking about AFTER the merger when they have all this new spectrum. If they refuse to up their plans even though they've greatly increased the amount of spectrum they have how are the the "un-carrier" that is concerned with offering value to the consumer? They would be no different that the other 2.
    Yes I do. What incentive would they have to do what you are claiming they will, are they having issues with customers signing up for the current offerings?

Change doesn't happen "just because". It happens because companies are forced to to survive. TMobile became the "uncarrier" because nobody was paying for the services they offered at the time. Verizon and lowered their rates and offered more competitive plans because they were losing customers, that's what brings about change. Not acquiring more spectrum..more debt ...more overhead..., So I'll ask again, what incentive would they have to do those things you listed? Are they struggling to attract users now?

Feedback Score
    Just saw that tmobile was trying to merge with dish a few years back. https://www.tmonews.com/2019/12/t-mo...5-john-legere/ but this was before that layer3 acquisition, so probably would not be happening, but you never know.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    However I am for Verizon and AT&T raising the cost of their service.
    May I ask why?

And why do you think that wouldn't trickle down to T-Mo and Sprint as well?

T-Mo prices their service specifically be a better value than the big 2. If VZW and AT&T raised rates, say, $10/month, T-Mo could follow suit, jump up $10 and maintain the same perceived value vs the big 2 as they have today.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    May I ask why?

And why do you think that wouldn't trickle down to T-Mo and Sprint as well?

T-Mo prices their service specifically be a better value than the big 2. If VZW and AT&T raised rates, say, $10/month, T-Mo could follow suit, jump up $10 and maintain the same perceived value vs the big 2 as they have today.

There are still the MVNOs. I'm only on postpaid for the Apple Watch, but if the margin gets too high I'll go back
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    There are still the MVNOs. I'm only on postpaid for the Apple Watch, but if the margin gets too high I'll go back
    Yea, but mvnos are on a fixed cost per user. The MNO's don't really have a cost per user, the cost to a MNO is in infrastructure and overhead. So there isn't really a "we must charge customer x amount per line to profit". With MVNO's this isn't the case. They are generally charged a set fee per gb, and have to charge a customer a set fee per gb to profit. This is why so few MVNO's offer a truly unlimited option. The ones who say they do, generally have a point where you are throttled to 2gb speeds after hitting a cap. Really the only true unlimited prepaid offerings are through carrier owned prepaid brands (visible, metro, cricket, boost) as again, they are owned by the MNO and don't incur a per user cost. It costs a MNO no more money if a user uses 2gb, or 200gb of data a month.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9