Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What will a plan b look like if no sprint?

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Agreed. You can't compare today's data speeds to what was offered 10 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    Sure you can. Because the carrier's cost to offer it was probably similar.

As had been mentioned here many times, the cost to operate a wireless network is fairly fixed once it's operational. Rate plans are a way to balance usage supply and demand so the network isn't so congested that customers complain, and to maximize revenue. When cellular was analog, and a tower could only handle a few hundred voice calls simultaneously, per minute costs were high to prevent overloading.

Now with digital, voice capacity is essentially a non-issue. Data is what the carriers have to balance, either by limiting capacity or throttling.

I'd love to see cell data sold by speed rather than quantity, like wireline ISPs. I'd happily take a 512kbps or 256kbps throttle in return for a discount!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Yeah at 128 kbps
    No, it is working on LTE (most time the speed consistently is over 200Mpbs on LTE) or 5G nowadays with full speed, , I am still on $2.99/month unlimited data for over 14 years

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Androided; 01-12-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    Compare T-Mobile Essentials to Verizon Start unlimited which are very similar plans except essentials actually has hotspot. 4 lines is $20 a month cheaper and is better plan. Or compare Magenta to Start. bother are $35 a line except T-Mobile covers the taxes which for 4 lines. In my area that is over $20 so Magenta is $20 cheaper and a MUCH better plan. So why aren't millions of Verizon customers flocking to T-Mobile every month? Why are they paying higher prices for worse plans? If T-Mobile was actually competitive that would not happen.

Verizon Q3 retail postpaid churn 0.82%; At&t Q3 retail postpaid churn 0.95%. And yes when T-Mobile merges with Sprint and actually becomes an actual threat they will all eventually offer the same plans and prices which will MUCH more for less. T-Mobile will force at&T and Verizon DOWNWARD in prices and UPWARD in quality of plans. Not the other way around. if T-Mobile can't merge then the status quo remains with the big 2 only offering "modest" changes and I'm being extremely generous with the word "modest"
    The fact that you can claim Verizon has a start unlimited plan, proves my point that TMobile has already forced Verizon into a pricing war.

Your churn argument again strengthens my point. At&t and Verizon churn rates are lowering due to them offering more competitive plans, thanks to the competition Sprint and T-Mobile have offered. Let's look at at&t closer though. At&t's postpaid phone growth has almost stalled. Why is that? Let's look at Verizon, hmm same issue. At&t at least has seen modest growth in their prepaid segment, due in large part to the competitive nature of the industry, again thanks to Sprint and T-Mobile, and they have in turn made their own at&t prepaid and cricket wireless brands much more attractive. Seems people are choosing other options besides Verizon and At&t. Seems competition is fine.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 01-12-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Yeah at 128 kbps
    An unlimited data plan on a flip phone with a WAP browser isn't very good. Before my first smart phone, I did some bluetooth internet sharing to a PDA. Don't miss those days.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    The fact that you can claim Verizon has a start unlimited plan, proves my point that TMobile has already forced Verizon into a pricing war.
    T-Mobile has forced Verizon into MODEST changes. That's not good enough. I'm not sure why you are against ALL carriers offer lower rates and better plans? That's really weird.

So T-Mobile is restaurant that serves rib eye steaks that forced Verizon to stop serving dog meat steaks and instead serve horse meat steak. I guess that's an improvement but don't tell that that's such an awesome thing and it can't get better.

Your churn argument again strengthens my point. At&t and Verizon churn rates are lowering due to them offering more competitive plans, thanks to the competition Sprint and T-Mobile have offered.
    No it doesn't. Verizon churn has always been at around 1% or lower. Go back and read some quarterly reports. Verizon has them that go back years. I do. And Sprint is in no way any competition. You know how many carriers I have to choose from? THREE. Guess which on doesn't offer service? You know how many choices I'll have if the merger is approved? THREE. You know how many I'll have if it's not approved? THREE. How is Sprint competing for my $$$? The difference is if the merger is approved T-Mobile will have Sprint's spectrum licenses and they will actually deploy that spectrum in my area. Thus making T-Mobile actually comparable to the big 2 which right now they aren't. There is reason why despite being a poorer area of the state people still choose at&t and Verizon over T-Mobile. When $10 an hour is "good pay" that is the exact type of customer T-Mobile SHOULD be getting but isn't.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has forced Verizon into MODEST changes. That's not good enough. I'm not sure why you are against ALL carriers offer lower rates and better plans? That's really weird.

So T-Mobile is restaurant that serves rib eye steaks that forced Verizon to stop serving dog meat steaks and instead serve horse meat steak. I guess that's an improvement but don't tell that that's such an awesome thing and it can't get better.

No it doesn't. Verizon churn has always been at around 1% or lower. Go back and read some quarterly reports. Verizon has them that go back years. I do. And Sprint is in no way any competition. You know how many carriers I have to choose from? THREE. Guess which on doesn't offer service? You know how many choices I'll have if the merger is approved? THREE. You know how many I'll have if it's not approved? THREE. How is Sprint competing for my $$$? The difference is if the merger is approved T-Mobile will have Sprint's spectrum licenses and they will actually deploy that spectrum in my area. Thus making T-Mobile actually comparable to the big 2 which right now they aren't. There is reason why despite being a poorer area of the state people still choose at&t and Verizon over T-Mobile. When $10 an hour is "good pay" that is the exact type of customer T-Mobile SHOULD be getting but isn't.
    That's the thing, I'm all for lower rates and better plans. 4 years ago a person using 80gb of lte data on Verizon would be over $500 a month, today it's less than 100. Competition is great isn't it? Today on Verizon a person can get unlimited data, Apple music and Disney+ all for under $100 a month. Competition is great isn't it?

It's really weird you ignore all the actual facts, and make up your own story. It's what I refer to as fan fiction. You write the story, so it ends however you see fit, unfortunately, it's not based in reality.

So Verizon and At&t should be growing at an astronomical rate then as well, so what has been their increase in yoy adds? TMobile doesn't need you to compete. They are competitive just fine without having you personally as a customer. You seem upset by this, don't take it personal. They've had record setting growth and in turn profits without you, and changed the entire way the industry does business. All without having you as a customer. Would they like you? Sure, do they need you? No. TMobile doesn't need to be the size of Verizon and At&t to compete with them, just like taco Bell doesn't need to be as big as McDonald's or Burger King to compete with them. I get that you are upset you can't use TMobile, fine, but, you can't ignore the pressure they have put on the other 2 carrier to entirely change the way those 2 businesses operate. Here's an example,

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...unlimited.aspx

Look at that, it seems the competitive pressure of TMobile and Sprint changed the entire way Verizon handled data. They used to make billions off of data overages and high priced data plans, you think they just ended those to be nice? Lol they're not that nice. It was competitive pressure from the smaller 2 carriers that forced that.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 01-12-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score

What will a plan b look like if no sprint?

Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    A combined T-Mo/Sprint is no more a competitive threat than separate T-Mo/Sprint unless the combined company builds out their coverage to big two levels, which costs money. That kind of expense will make it far more likely that T-Mo/Sprint pricing will move upward toward AT&T and VZW levels than the big two racing to the bottom.

As I've said, the big two already offer discounted service via their subsidiaries and MVNOs. If VZW is too rich for your blood, you can look at Visible, Red Pocket, or the several TracFone owned MVNOs to get comparable coverage for less.

I'm going to guess you're a Verizon subscriber, lol... You can always tell Smh.

The myth of superior coverage has been rapidly eroding the last few years as consumers become more and more savvy.

T-Mobile has changed the industry for the better and I CAN'T WAIT to see what's next. Don't think I would want Verizon if it was offered for free.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    I'm going to guess you're a Verizon subscriber, lol... You can always tell Smh.

The myth of superior coverage has been rapidly eroding the last few years as consumers become more and more savvy.

T-Mobile has changed the industry for the better and I CAN'T WAIT to see what's next. Don't think I would want Verizon if it was offered for free.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Actually, I'm a T-Mo subscriber and have been continuously since October, 2001, back when Jamie Lee Curtis was still pimping Voicestream...

I'm also not delusional, pretending T-Mo's coverage is as good as Verizon's or AT&T's. I like to eat Big Macs occasionally, too, but I don't pretend they're fillet mignons.

T-Mo is good enough for my needs, and IMO, represents a decent value. You may find T-Mo's coverage equivalent to Verizon's where you work and play, but I travel in the Midwest and West a fair bit, and there have been many times I've lost T-Mo signal and had to rely on roaming, or (more rarely) a back up device (over the years I've bounced between various low-cost Verizon and AT&T resellers) I keep around for traveling. When my son went off to college in Montana for a year, I had to switch him from T-Mo to Cricket, because T-Mo didn't serve Bozeman (and many other large swaths of Montana!) at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    That's the thing, I'm all for lower rates and better plans. 4 years ago a person using 80gb of lte data on Verizon would be over $500 a month, today it's less than 100. Competition is great isn't it? Today on Verizon a person can get unlimited data, Apple music and Disney+ all for under $100 a month. Competition is great isn't it?

It's really weird you ignore all the actual facts, and make up your own story. It's what I refer to as fan fiction. You write the story, so it ends however you see fit, unfortunately, it's not based in reality.

So Verizon and At&t should be growing at an astronomical rate then as well, so what has been their increase in yoy adds? TMobile doesn't need you to compete. They are competitive just fine without having you personally as a customer. You seem upset by this, don't take it personal. They've had record setting growth and in turn profits without you, and changed the entire way the industry does business. All without having you as a customer. Would they like you? Sure, do they need you? No. TMobile doesn't need to be the size of Verizon and At&t to compete with them, just like taco Bell doesn't need to be as big as McDonald's or Burger King to compete with them. I get that you are upset you can't use TMobile, fine, but, you can't ignore the pressure they have put on the other 2 carrier to entirely change the way those 2 businesses operate.
    10 years ago I used unlimited data was $2.99/month with T-Mobile.
    Nowadays, I use unlimited data still $2.99/month on 200mpbs speed
    Verizon just sucked in the past and also sucks in the future

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    An unlimited data plan on a flip phone with a WAP browser isn't very good. Before my first smart phone, I did some bluetooth internet sharing to a PDA. Don't miss those days.
    10 years ago I had an unlimited VPN data plan on a HSPA+ phone that could get 8 Mbps download speed. It was actually a bit more expensive than my current plan.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    No, back that time, price was actually very cheap.
    I started with VoiceStream after TMobile took over. The unlimited internet was $2.99/month add-on to your voice line.
    Nowadays, unlimited data is 15x more expensive

And how many voice minutes did you get with that?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X505F using HoFo mobile app
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    After the sprint deal, I dont think tmobile will lower prices other than the things they mentioned recently about prepaid and the first responder etc. With sprints spectrum hopefully they will un-gimp the postpaid plans eventually, such as maybe adding more hotspot and improve stream quality etc

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    And how many voice minutes did you get with that?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X505F using HoFo mobile app
    max three voice lines at that time, so three lines with $2.99/month unlimited internet.
    Last month added additional two voice lines (when I saw "add a line with $150 rebate check BYOD in Costco) to my old grandfathered family 1000 plan with unlimited data $5/month ...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    After the sprint deal, I dont think tmobile will lower prices other than the things they mentioned recently about prepaid and the first responder etc. With sprints spectrum hopefully they will un-gimp the postpaid plans eventually, such as maybe adding more hotspot and improve stream quality etc
    Exactly. With the 2.5 GHz as well as the additional PCS that T-Mobile gets from Sprint there is zero excuse for offering 50 GB of "premium Data" before deprioritization. ZERO excuses for only offering 20 GB of premium data on a hotspot then only 600 kbps "3G" hotspot. Imagine if Magenta Plus offered 250 phone data instead of 50GB, 100 GB hotspot instead of 20 GB and 5 Mbps thereafter instead of 600 kbps. Imagine if Magenta offered 30 GB of premium hotpsot data instead of 3 GB and 5 Mbps thereafter and Essentials has their "3G" only hotspot at 5 Mbps instead of 600 kbps and video on Essentials on Megenta were 1080p all for the current prices these plans are today. Verizon and at&t would have no choice but to respond

Feedback Score
    Exactly. With the 2.5 GHz as well as the additional PCS that T-Mobile gets from Sprint there is zero excuse for offering 50 GB of "premium Data" before deprioritization. ZERO excuses for only offering 20 GB of premium data on a hotspot then only 600 kbps "3G" hotspot. Imagine if Magenta Plus offered 250 phone data instead of 50GB, 100 GB hotspot instead of 20 GB and 5 Mbps thereafter instead of 600 kbps. Imagine if Magenta offered 30 GB of premium hotpsot data instead of 3 GB and 5 Mbps thereafter and Essentials has their "3G" only hotspot at 5 Mbps instead of 600 kbps and video on Essentials on Megenta were 1080p all for the current prices these plans are today. Verizon and at&t would have no choice but to respond
    Why would they offer those? Are they having issues with people signing up for magenta plans as currently constructed? I mean, imagine if they had no depri limits, offered unlimited high speed hotspot, and gave you a free car and only charged $25 a month for service. Would be great. Why would they though.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast